The Bally Sports Thread

Georgie56

3 minutes ago, LoadStar said:

Ok, we apparently talking in circles here. Let me take one more attempt to clarify.

What specific part or parts of section 3.09 caused you to conclude that they "will have to use the Fox Sports name" for three years?

Section 3.09(a) it might be Section 3.09(b) but all I can tell you is that it's in Section 3.09 that I quoted from earlier

4 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Section 3.09(a) it might be Section 3.09(b) but all I can tell you is that it's in Section 3.09 that I quoted from earlier

There is absolutely nothing in either of those clauses that talks about a requirement to retain the Fox Sports name, nor a duration of three years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LoadStar said:

There is absolutely nothing in either of those clauses that talks about a requirement to retain the Fox Sports name, nor a duration of three years.

It has to be in one of the sections where it talks about the licensing then but it's in there somewhere unless it got redacted at some point

Edited by oknewsguy

6 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

It has to be in one of the sections where it talks about the licensing then but it's in there somewhere unless it got redacted at some point

Then look for and quote the exact text that says so.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Then look for and quote the exact text that says so.

I looked earlier through Section 3.09 earlier, couldn't find it. It may have been removed so that no one could find out exactly how long Sinclair has to keep the Fox Sports name or it's in there I may have overlooked it.

EDIT: I found an article from WKYC as provided here https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/television/sinclair-broadcast-group-purchases-fox-regional-sports-networks-including-sportstime-ohio-fox-sports-ohio/95-9a377f0e-ed08-4b50-a2b0-a96cd1221a3d here's what part of that article says 

As the Fox Sports branding will surely be going by the wayside, the new names for the RSNs or when such a re-brand will take place are still unknown at this time. Many feel it could involve the name "Diamond," although Sinclair is also launching an all-Chicago Cubs regional network next year that will be called Marquee Sports Network.

Edited by oknewsguy

41 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Do they have any obligation to keep their broadcasts integrated with FS1 for a period of time? I know that this summer under Disney ownership, they still had to integrate select Saturday MLB broadcasts with FS1 and also advertise FS1 programming.

Not really because I noticed that FSN as recent as this week stop promoting the FS1 shows such as Undisputed and Speak For Yourself.

I think there was some form of a transitional agreement between Fox and Disney when the DOJ ordered Disney to sell the FSNs where FSN would continue to promote the FS1 shows for a certain period of time until the sale was completed, and now that the sale has been signed, sealed, and delivered the FSNs are no longer obligated to continue to promote shows or sporting events seen on Fox, FS1, and FS2. 

As I speak, Fox Sports Wisconsin is still running NHRA repeats...you have to assume there's still some kind of agreement to provide secondary programming so that non-gametime programming doesn't become a looping hell of the World Poker Tour and 18 Holes with Jimmy Hanlin non-stop...or paid programming (which would definitely imperil carriage agreements). It also sets up immediate consequences for the Bundesliga, whose low-tier matches were on the regional RSN's...those have to move to the app from hereon out.

4 hours ago, mightynine said:

Didn't the RSNs handle the MLB "Game of the Week" broadcasts for Fox and FS1? Would that continue?

It depended.

Most of the time, FS1/Fox produced the telecasts. However, if Fox had more than 3 games to produce, and if one of the two teams on the FS1 game was on an FSN station, then they simulcasted the FSN feed over FS1.

Not to be confused with Fox hiring a local broadcast team to call a game to be produced by Fox. 

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

As I speak, Fox Sports Wisconsin is still running NHRA repeats...you have to assume there's still some kind of agreement to provide secondary programming so that non-gametime programming doesn't become a looping hell of the World Poker Tour and 18 Holes with Jimmy Hanlin non-stop...or paid programming (which would definitely imperil carriage agreements). It also sets up immediate consequences for the Bundesliga, whose low-tier matches were on the regional RSN's...those have to move to the app from hereon out.

I suspect, lacking any concrete information one way or another, that they'll continue to operate as if they were owned by Fox for the immediate future. There's just too much integration between the RSNs and Fox Sports. Obviously secondary programming is a big one, but internet services are another. The RSNs have no standalone apps and no separate website. All of that would have to be built out from scratch.

1 minute ago, elfuego35 said:

It depended.

Most of the time, FS1/Fox produced the telecasts. However, if Fox had more than 3 games to produce, and if one of the two teams on the FS1 game was on an FSN station, then they simulcasted the FSN feed over FS1.

Not to be confused with Fox hiring a local broadcast team to call a game to be produced by Fox. 

Didn't the RSNs periodically provide production services for Fox Sports, if all the Fox Sports trucks were tied up, or involved in something that prevented them from reaching a site on time?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LoadStar said:

I suspect, lacking any concrete information one way or another, that they'll continue to operate as if they were owned by Fox for the immediate future. There's just too much integration between the RSNs and Fox Sports. Obviously secondary programming is a big one, but internet services are another. The RSNs have no standalone apps and no separate website. All of that would have to be built out from scratch.

Didn't the RSNs periodically provide production services for Fox Sports, if all the Fox Sports trucks were tied up, or involved in something that prevented them from reaching a site on time?

Yep.

Although on the app perspective... They already separated them out. 

Fox Sports Go is for the RSN's, while the Fox Sports App is for the properties retained by Fox 

4 hours ago, mightynine said:

Didn't the RSNs handle the MLB "Game of the Week" broadcasts for Fox and FS1? Would that continue?

48 minutes ago, elfuego35 said:

It depended.

In this instance FS1 is using the Cardinals Fox Sports Midwest broadcast team for the Rockies/Cardinals game tonight (P.S. Go Cardinals) 

The fact that the RSNs are STILL integrated into Fox Sports that it'll take awhile for Sinclair to integrate the RSNs into Stadium and the local stations (if they're co-owned with the local stations)

5 hours ago, LoadStar said:

Back with the 2011-2013 graphics package, I used to notice that even if the game was between two teams that didn't have an FSN affiliate, like Giants/Phillies, and the game was on Fox, it would still have the same crummy graphics with a lack of animation like you would see on the FSN affiliates. In these instances, were they using the CSN production trucks to produce the telecasts? Or were they bringing in FSN trucks from other nearby markets? Or was Fox using their own network production trucks and just using the crummy graphics because that was the standard that existed for MLB telecasts at the time?

I read a while back that at the beginning of this baseball season, FS1 was sending out their crews to the games they were airing during the middle of the week. Previously, they had relied 100% on the local FSN's infrastructure (FS1 just supplied the announcers). This was from one of the producers of FS1. The biggest challenge was trying to untangle all those synergies that FOX had created between FS1 and FSN.  I'd be willing to bet that there will be a full rebrand early on in 2020. I don't think Sinclair can keep using the FOX Sports branding for too long.

Edited by A3N

Sinclair Broadcast sees 'massive opportunity' to rebrand Fox sports networks

Sinclair (NASDAQ: SBGI) can use the "Fox Sports" name and logo for a temporary period of time but it does not own the brand, Ripley said. Therefore, eventually channels like Fox Sports Southwest in Texas and Fox Sports Sun in Florida will eventually need new names.

(Link might be paywalled)

Edited by AmericanErrorist

On 8/24/2019 at 2:57 PM, mrschimpf said:

Since Entertainment Studios is a content partner, you'll probably see episodes of The American Athlete and Cars.TV repeated ad nauseum instead of World Poker Tour and Destination Polaris.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

Since Entertainment Studios is a content partner, you'll probably see episodes of The American Athlete and Cars.TV repeated ad nauseum instead of World Poker Tour and Destination Polaris.

Maybe they'll even work The Weather Channel branding into weather updates on live games like NBC used to do when they owned TWC...

17 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

It is behind the paywall indeed.

I get it, newspapers have to make money somewhere but there are people that would like to read articles online without having to pay for it.

The sale of the YES Network to the Yankees/Sinclair/Amazon/private equity consortium closed today. Sinclair's press release stated that their share of YES has been assigned to Diamond Sports, and that they are now handling the channel's carriage deals, both traditional and virtual.

Edited by AmericanErrorist

5 hours ago, jerseyfla said:

Maybe we see those RSNs go back to their Pre-Fox/Sportschannel names like Sunshine Network, HSE, SportsSouth, PASS, etc.

Sunshine Network branding returning to replace Fox Sports Sun isn't out of the realm of possibility here, I think we might see Sinclair use some unique branding like perhapse HSE, and PASS

Right now what Sinclair is doing with the rebranding of the FSNs is right now in secret they probably won't tell us much of anything untile new name(s) are announced and we'll have a better idea of what exactly Sinclair will rebrand the RSNs to.

Right now it's just speculation at this point

Although I might add that Sinclair did file a trademark application for use of the "Diamond Sports Network" branding. I can't get the image of the trademark up for y'all to see at the moment but what I can tell you it was filled back in May about 2 weeks after Sinclair announced the acquisition of the RSNs

Edited by oknewsguy

On 8/24/2019 at 4:57 PM, mrschimpf said:

As for overflow Fox Sports programming on the RSNs, those can possibly move to Fox Business when the markets are closed, similar to CNBC. Do we really need TWO Fox news channels to report right wing propaganda, they have Fox Nation. Besides, Trump's tweets speak for themselves.

Spectrum is dumping the Fox College Sports networks in mid-October, and FIOS has also removed them, which sounds like an immediate Sinclair decision. Probably figure on some kind of "Stadium/Diamond/Marquee Extra" service starting up in the next few months so that the games that usually would air there live will be transferred onto there, or for Stadium to eventually return some games to SBG stations as they did in the ASN days.

It also looks like the FSN's are still carrying the lower-tier Big 12 games. I'm kind of thinking at least until May outside of graphical changes, the channels will still be carrying Fox's properties until the offseason where a long-term agreement can be made to offload them to other networks or the Fox Sports app gets a lot more content in the meantime.

19 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

As for overflow Fox Sports programming on the RSNs, those can possibly move to Fox Business when the markets are closed, similar to CNBC. 

FBN is already the overflow network for any 3:30 games on Fox which can't start there when the noon games run long, though that noon slot is wide open. The big problem though is these business networks just need to let go of the infomercial lifeline already. In 2019, nobody is stopping on CNBC to watch infomercials on Saturday mornings, and NBCU does know that, throwing on any sports they can, when it works for their schedule.

• Georgie56 changed the title to The Bally Sports Thread