Comcast Considering to Launch Global NBC/Sky News Channel

rkolsen

There’s not much to go on but according to this Variety Reports Comcast CEO Brian Roberts said “We’re exploring launching a global NBC Sky news channel later this year”.

I would be interested if this will be a OTT channel, linear or both. Hopefully it will be available in the US.

They certainly have enough resources - NBC News, Noticias Telemundo, Sky News and EuroNews.

9 hours ago, rkolsen said:

They certainly have enough resources - NBC News, Noticias Telemundo, Sky News and EuroNews.

That, enough, is impressive itself. One company has four news departments around the world, serving multiple languages (English, Spanish and multiple ones within EuroNews).

20 hours ago, rkolsen said:

There’s not much to go on but according to this Variety Reports Comcast CEO Brian Roberts said “We’re exploring launching a global NBC Sky news channel later this year”.

I would be interested if this will be a OTT channel, linear or both. Hopefully it will be available in the US.

I occasionally put Sky News on via my Roku. It's not bad, and I like that it's not personality-driven like the US cable news channels. As a bonus, it's also in HD, whereas BBC World News isn't, at least not here. (Also, BBCWN is on cable here -- specifically, the highest tier package, which I don't get.)

I occasionally watch Sky too, and I really enjoy the programming and news coverage on the whole.

This is great news, and this network would make for a great international news service.

With all these great news orgs joining forces here, I could also see a great competitor (whether for CBSN on OTT or for the other cable nets) if they play their cards right.

One thing interesting about Sky News is that since it’s inception it’s been operating at a loss. I’m not sure if Comcast signed the same deal Disney did to continue funding Sky News for the next 10 years. This could potentially make some revenue for Sky. I think I read that they have a £100 million budget - something that is paltry to the revenues Today brings in alone. 

• 1 year later...

Archived