Why live stream this?

kmetz

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't NASCAR evolve out of the good old fashioned police pursuit in the south? The bootleggers blacked out in the Hudson Hornets running from the revenue agents and old Sheriff Fester of carter County.

People like pursuits because they want to see a crash or a good foot chase.

If it wasn't for the car chases...the multi million dollar L.A. Newscopter business wouldn't exist as we know it.

So go enjoy your pursuits, and that time that it fills on the news when it's a really slowwwwww day...it's a guilty pleasure.

40 minutes ago, mre29 said:

At least the stations didn't interrupt regular programming to run the coverage on-air. (That's what they do in LA, right?)

I believe so, if it’s in a residential area. 

All I can think of is that it gets views on their Facebook site and people to stay there even if it’s not monetizing.

1 hour ago, C Block said:

LA car chases do very well online. So well that KNBC doesn't allow other stations to stream them online.

That explains why KNBC does not stream on Facebook. I take it they allow it on NewsChannel so stations can do ther own cuts for newscasts or own coverage?

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

All I can think of is that it gets views on their Facebook site and people to stay there even if it’s not monetizing.

That explains why KNBC does not stream on Facebook. I take it they allow it on NewsChannel so stations can do ther own cuts for newscasts or own coverage?

KNBC did live stream the car chase last night on Facebook.

For what it is worth, FOX 5 Atlanta’s Facebook live stream of KTTV had 23,000 people watching live last night. It draws eyeballs nationwide...just happens to occur a lot in Southern California.

1 hour ago, NateinFLA said:

KNBC did live stream the car chase last night on Facebook.

For what it is worth, FOX 5 Atlanta’s Facebook live stream of KTTV had 23,000 people watching live last night. It draws eyeballs nationwide...just happens to occur a lot in Southern California.

Very appropriate Anchorman 2 clip:

24 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

You know it's digital when they break out OCR A for a header.

OCR = On screen credit? Almost everything that CNN retransmits (via NewSource and a lot of times on CNN) has the credit like that. 

I swear I've gotten more inane 'distant police chase' breaking news notifications on my Tribune stations than about actual local breaking news lately. I know why though; same reason Real TV and the police chase shows lasted so long; there's people who will tune in for the likelihood of gore, but that threat (and the 'Day in 45' hyperfocus; can't deny those pundits that sweet, sweet airtime) has made them verboten on cable news now.

Archived