FCC Releases List of Unsuccessful Incentive Auction Bidders

broadcastfan9751

There are some that if they had followed through, they would have darkened some markets (even leaving little room for channel-sharing had they succeeded in cashing out)

Some examples....

While WKBN succeeded in cashing out (and channel-sharing with WYTV), WFMJ tried to cash out as well.  So did WNEO...the Youngstown part of Western Reserve Public Media.

WBNX didn't even attempt to put themselves up for auction.  Could have helped themselves with the mess they're in now....

BOTH WDHN and WTVY tried to cash out as well, neither succeeded.

Over in Mobile and Pensacola, WPMI was up for auction, and so was WFGX....that would have halved Sinclair's presence and could have made them a legal duopoly with WEAR and WJTC.

Ironically, neither WKRG or WFNA was up for auction.

Up in Columbus, GA, WRBL was up for full auction, and no takers.

Over in Mississippi, WHLT was up for full auction, and Gulfport's WXXV tried to move to VHF.   The demand wasn't there in the southeast and many stations remain.....

And finally....WHIZ tried, and failed.  Bidding topped at  171.2 Million to disappear before attempting to move to low-VHF.  The lowest bid option was 15.4 million before they gave up.

I'm dreading the repack.  The skies were acting up this morning cancelling out local channels and giving me the ability to pick up very distant stations.  It will get much worse when  many of the stations I can occasionally get (from NOLA and MS) will be on the same channel as locals....

In my area, Nexstar tried to sell WFXQ-CD (essentially a redundant WWLP translator) a grand total of 48 times before ultimately saying "screw it" and bailing. I was wondering why it didn't go off the air, but now I know that it was apparently so worthless that not even the cell phone operators wanted it.

Archived