Ransomware attack takes the Weather Channel off-air

mre29

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned anywhere here. From The Verge:

The Weather Channel was hit by a ransomware attack on Thursday, briefly taking a live TV program off the air, according to a Wall Street Journal report.

The attack came amid severe weather in the southeastern United States and knocked out the cable channel for more than an hour. The FBI told the Journal a ransomware attack was the source of the problem and that the agency is investigating.

It must have been a major attack on TWC's systems, they didn't/couldn't use "The Lab" til Friday and I noticed they were in Studio 9 Today. On-air graphics such as radar loops, storm information, alerts, watches and warnings wouldn't work, L3's, sidebar and "Local on the 8's" graphics and information didn't/couldn't load. I'm glad they stuck it out and used a tiny studio with 1 camera and limited working mic's to keep people safe during severe storms across the south, it would have been very easy to not broadcast while they figured things out. TWC deserves a lot of credit for working thru the issues. It was obviously very coordinated as TWC was preparing for special coverage with upcoming storms. Hopefully, the FBI finds those responsible and prosecutes them to the fullest extent of the law. 

Archived