Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Breaking News

The History of UPN

If you were around back in 1995 or wasn't you get a glimpse of what UPN was like in those days. 

The guy goes into great detail and his facts and knowledge are very accurate and on point in details. Great

video.   Must watch!

I watched this a few weeks ago. VERY VERY interesting. I never realized all of the pieces of UPN. I know, as a black community, we watched UPN all the time, and was kind of distraught when the network disappeared. I always thought UPN was consistently the 6th place network, but apparently, it traded spots with WB (and sometimes FOX). 

Make sure if you watch this, you block out like a good hour and some change to watch! Hopefully he will do the WB at some point. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

UPN was basically an over-the-air version of BET (with a few exceptions). Coincidentally, both of them were Viacom properties. I remember when my mother would watch The Parkers, Girlfriends, and America's Next Top Model while the latter was on UPN. It wasn't until recently when I learned that they showed Family Matters reruns. 

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

I was a baby when UPN was in it's infancy, and by 2003 or 4, I can remember watching several of its shows -- The Parkers, Girlfriemds, Half & Half, One on One, Everybody Hates Chris, All of Us and Eve among it's sitcoms, Veronica Mars and SmackDown. I was very lucky to watch UPN as young as I was, loved the programs it aired when I was able watch (despite my going to bed at 8 outside of summer) and later watch in reruns and always appreciated the racial diversity of it and it's programming.

I was saddened to see it (and The WB) go but did welcome The CW with open arms. But UPN will always have a big place in my television memories.

UPN's first couple years were really rough. The shows were super low quality and hokey outside "Star Trek Voyager".  I remember being excited when the network came on the air but it helped to ruin the legacy of former independents like WSBK in Boston and WWOR in New Jersey.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I didn't start watching Everybody Hates Chris until it entered syndication.

Edited by Georgie56

I never knew UPN passed on Malcolm in the Middle AND American Idol!! Things might have really been different 

Great video on the network's history! Didn't think too much of UPN or watch it until I caught onto SmackDown! in the mid-2000s.  I left thinking deep about the future of television considering how the internet has had a helping hand in revamping the vast spectrum and outlook of television on a daily, especially for what will be the future of the broadcast networks. Though, to be fair, it's hard to see any of the current 5 disappear, let alone 6 if you want to include MNT, without pissing off local stations or the shows that look to these networks when they don't want to be just another mainstay on Netflix or Hulu.