The CW moving to WCIU

Georgie56

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

I would have to think that their channel number gets lowered and soon. if not, oof.

All of the HD local channels on Xfinity are from 180-200. Their SD counterparts still reside at each station's OTA channel number.

The other big 5 stations in the market are from 187-192. That's just how Xfinity does their lineup.

Yes. They mention Xfinity, U-verse, RCN and WOW's HD slots for the station. The SD slots are... in SD at their regular channel number.

Cable is afraid to go the satellite way where as in satellite, its already available in HD on 26.

17 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

All of the HD local channels on Xfinity are from 180-200. Their SD counterparts still reside at each station's OTA channel number.

The other big 5 stations in the market are from 187-192. That's just how Xfinity does their lineup.

It's so dumb. Having personal experience with this particular cable system, it's downright boneheaded. Nothing makes any sense. I'd have to stop and think way more than I should every time I wanted to find an HD channel and often resorted to dialing the SD number and hitting the "Watch in HD" button. They really need to change the assignments.

5 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Yes. They mention Xfinity, U-verse, RCN and WOW's HD slots for the station. The SD slots are... in SD at their regular channel number.

Cable is afraid to go the satellite way where as in satellite, its already available in HD on 26.

Cox Phoenix here in 2017 made as many of the lower numbers as possible mirrors of the 1xxx HD range. More providers need to do that.

1 minute ago, Ramona said:

Cox Phoenix here in 2017 made as many of the lower numbers as possible mirrors of the 1xxx HD range. More providers need to do that.

Yes! Actually, I think Cox nationwide did that same thing in 2017 because I've noticed it here in Gainesville. Now? Whenever I wanna watch WUFT (3), WGFL (4), WCJB (7), WNBW (9), WCJB CW (10), WGFL MNT (11) or WOGX (13), I'll be able to actually see them in HD. I have a minibox that has yet to convert WRUF (6) and WJXT Jax (19) to HD despite the big cable boxes already doing so in HD. Weird.

(sorry, don't mean to go off-topic but Ramona mentioned Cox so... went there.)

19 hours ago, Ramona said:

Usually the old Time Warner systems have HD channels on 1xxx (same with U-verse), while sensible Charter systems like mine have the channels in the 6xx range and subchannels in the 18x range. Then there's the 'HD is merely a fad' systems like those in St. Louis that have the local HD channels starting at 78x for some reason and have never remapped them into sensible lineups since the mid-2000s (where there isn't anything themed so that ESPN, MTV and CNN are next to each other because that's when their contract to pick up the HD feed started). Comcast in Western MA has their HD channels in the 88x and 1xxx ranges...meanwhile you have Chicago where you have channels happy to be on HD 186 because a remapping isn't in the offing anytime soon.

19 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

If it was up to them, they would have gone to all-HD by 2010. Alas, there are still stubborn souls who will keep their awful standard def cable box until it dies, and there are a few 'I will cancel everything' old folks who have actually forced cable systems to keep the standard def channels in full-frame 4:3 even after the local stations have AFD 10'ed their signals into forced 16:9 to shut them up (and there's no telling them 'you're missing text on the sides!'; 'they've watched TV like this since 1956 and they'll die watching it this way, dang it 👵🏻👴🏻!'). The only channel in my area that has a widescreen SD channel on my system is WDJT/WMLW/all their subchannels, and it's just because it's so hard-coded into their AFD coding that they can't get them into 4:3 at all.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 10:50 PM, CircleSeven said:

I'm hoping that WMEU-CD (48.1/26.2) get DirecTV carriage  Only Dish Network carries it.

Barring any last ditch effort, it appears WMEU (The U) won't be getting placement on DirecTV.

WCIU has posted its first CW26 video promotion.

This is where to see two great stations, starting September 1

• CW26 over the air on Channel 26, plus Comcast 183, Dish 26, Direct 26, U-verse 1010, RCN 606, WOW 207
  • The U over the air on Channels 48 and 26.2, plus Comcast 360, Dish 48, U-verse 24, RCN 35, WOW 170

On CW26 you will get all the action, drama, court and comedies

• All the premiering and returning CW Network programs Batwoman, Nancy Drew, Supergirl, Riverdale, The Flash, Supernatural, Arrow and Black Lightning
  • Same place for Judge Mathis, Seinfeld, 2 Broke Girls, King of Queens, Mike & Molly, The People’s Court
  • The Jam
  • New shows like Tamron Hall and Judge Jerry

And The U is on the move but still the place for great entertainment and high school sports

• Tamron Hall at 8PM
  • Game of The Week High School Football and Basketball
  • IHSA Championship games
  • Live PD: Police Patrol, Cops

10 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Barring any last ditch effort, it appears WMEU (The U) won't be getting placement on DirecTV.

WCIU has posted its first CW26 video promotion.

I noticed a certain program missing from that release, and Feder just confirmed it. The ABC 7-produced 7pm newscast will not make the move to 26.2, and will end August 30th.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/07/29/abc-7-end-7-p-m-newscast-u/

3 hours ago, 24994J said:

I noticed a certain program missing from that release, and Feder just confirmed it. The ABC 7-produced 7pm newscast will not make the move to 26.2, and will end August 30th.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/07/29/abc-7-end-7-p-m-newscast-u/

Wonder what happens to Hosea and if this will result in any reshuffling of anchor, weather, or sports duties.

26 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Wonder what happens to Hosea and if this will result in any reshuffling of anchor, weather, or sports duties.

I doubt they'll do too much. From my post in the WLS thread...

"Cheryl Burton continues anchoring at 5 and 10, Larry Lowry & Jim Rose at 4 and 6, but this leaves Hosea Sanders without an anchor assignment for the first time in 25 years. With a lack of fill-in appeances on earlier shows, and his recent health issues, I'm guessing he'll shift to permanent community affairs role, like Harry Porterfield and others years ago."

Even if not the best anchor, Hosea is very popular, so it'd be be wise to keep him. It would be bad optics for them to dump such a respected, emotionally-connected presence in the newsroom and the community. Keep in mind, too, that he's been sick, is one of their oldest legacy talent, and is very popular in and out of the African American demo. There's a lot of value and goodwill there.

16 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Without the CW affiliation, it appears WPWR is merely returning to the My50 branding.

Oh come on WPWR! This should've been your chance to brand yourself something different! Or at least go back to Power 50.

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Oh come on WPWR! This should've been your chance to brand yourself something different! Or at least go back to Power 50.

Whether they go back to Power 50, or My 50, the station wouldn't have changed all that much anyway, despite losing the CW.

At least I'm glad they're not using Fox 32 Plus.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking through the guides showing 8/30 through 9/2 dates: 

• On 8/30, after the Eyewitness News @ 7 finale, WCIU will be airing the CW 26 Fall Preview special.
  • The Fall Preview special will be reaired at 6pm on 9/1, leading up to the station's inagural CW primetime broadcasts (Penn & Teller and Masters of Illusion).
  • The People's Court will move its first airing at 10am (from 1pm, where the old Jerry repeats will occupy). The second airing will stay at 4pm for one week, then it'll move to 11am on 9/9 to make room for Tamron.
  • The double run of Steve Wilkos (10am-Noon) will be shifted an hour later (11am-1pm) for one week. Then it'll only be on at Noon on 9/9.
  • And the double runs of Judge Mathis (2-4pm), King of Queens (5pm), Mike & Molly (6pm), 2 Broke Girls (9pm) & Seinfeld (10pm) will stay a status quo on their current timeslots (talk about stability for the most part).

Over at WPWR, the current evening lineup is already a mess. After the CW lineup (7-9pm), the station air the first MyNet show at 9pm, and the second one at 11pm. Chicago P.D. is sandwiched in between at 10pm. Starting 9/2, the lineup gets a bit better. Chicago P.D. will stay at 10pm, but it'll also have a 7pm airing each weeknight. Then the MyNet shows will air back-to-back from 8-10pm.

New CW26 ads are rolling out - figuratively and literally - on CTA buses up here. (They advertise a lot on the buses and on L rail stops, so if people weren't aware of the change before, they sure are now.)

On 8/9/2019 at 12:14 AM, 24994J said:

Without the CW affiliation, it appears WPWR is merely returning to the My50 branding.

Someone still has a lot of My50 promotional merchandise they want to get rid of...though honestly there's nothing PLUS about that station's lineup to begin with that would make the other branding work.

I wrote this about a month ago:

On 7/28/2019 at 11:21 PM, CircleSeven said:

Well, the station has posted its updated channel allotment listing. And under WMEU (The U) DirecTV listing, it didn't say "it's not available, call DirecTV and ask for The U". It said "To Be Announced". Could WMEU finally get DirecTV carriage for the first time?

It probably would not have saved the 7pm news even if they did get the carriage.

.As the guide is now showing the 9/9 date, here's WMEU's schedule changes: 

• Dr. Phil will be Tamron Hall's lead-in at 7pm.
  • WCIU's morning show The Jam will be simulcasted (6-8am) on WMEU on 9/3. WMEU is also keeping the 7am repeat of the show at 8am.
  • The Doctors stays at 9am after The Jam repeat at 8am, but the second airing is moving from 1pm to 1am.
  • Right This Minute will have a primary airing at 10am, with another airing at 5:30am (why not have both airings back-to-back at the 10am hour?)
  • The secondary airing of Steve Wilkos that aired on WCIU, will air on WMEU at 11am. It gets another airing at 9pm after Tamron
  • The half-hour installments of Cheaters (which aired at noon on WCIU) will air on WMEU on that same noon timeslot.
  • WMEU's airing of diginet Decades' original program Through The Decades is moving to 1pm (from 11am). It'll have a second airing at midnight.
  • And other crime-based/reaiity shows Cops, Pawn Stars, True Crime Files, Forensic Files, Live PD: Police Patrol, Sheriffs El Dorado County, rounds out the rest of the weekday lineup.

53 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

I checked out the FCC callsign reservation search. And I saw that the "WCUU" callsign was still available. That meant as of recently, Weigel didn't apply to get that callsign. 

Feder has mentioned The U Too as "WCUU-Channel 26.2" in the past, even though the calls were officially WCIU on 26.2 & WMEU on 48.1. And at one point WMEU did change its calls in 2010 to WCUU, only to go back to WMEU weeks later. WCIU's The U Too schedule page says "wcuu" at the end of the url. And WCIU has recently posted its OTA & Cable channel listing, and under The U (48.1/26.2) it says WMEU, not WCUU.

Barring any true surprises, I strongly believe that WMEU calls are here to stay for the forseeable future.

Follow up. Here's the sheet of WMEU's full lineup. And it list several more changes:

• At 9am, The Doctors will be replaced with a new talk show premiering later in the month called Doctor and The Diva hosted by Dr. Steve Salvatore and recording artist Kimberley Locke. The Doctors will only be aired at 1am.
  • The syndicated airing of Jerry Springer will air at 10am (the CW airing is at 1pm on WCIU), leading up to Steve Wilkos at 11am. Right This Minute will air at 2:30am & 5:30am. So that 10am airing of RTM on 9/9 is probably be aired as a placeholder for one week. 
  • And it appears Through The Decades is also a placeholder. Personal Injury Court & Protection Court will occupy the 1pm hour while Lauren Lake's Paternity Court and Couples Court with the Cutlers will occupy the midnight hour. Through The Decades will still be aired on Sundays at 2pm.
  • And a repeat of Svengoolie (which aired on WCIU Saturdays at 11am) will be aired on WMEU at the same timeslot. The original broadcast airs on MeTV at 7pm on Saturday nights.

16 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I checked out the FCC callsign reservation search. And I saw that the "WCUU" callsign was still available. That meant as of recently, Weigel didn't apply to get that callsign. 

Feder has mentioned The U Too as "WCUU-Channel 26.2" in the past, even though the calls were officially WCIU on 26.2 & WMEU on 48.1. And at one point WMEU did change its calls in 2010 to WCUU, only to go back to WMEU weeks later. WCIU's The U Too schedule page says "wcuu" at the end of the url. And WCIU has recently posted its OTA & Cable channel listing, and under The U (48.1/26.2) it says WMEU, not WCUU.

Barring any true surprises, I strongly believe that WMEU calls are here to stay for the forseeable future.

Despite that, WCUU would make a good choice of call letters for a CW station. ("W-C-Double-U")

Archived