WSMV News 4 Nashville?

bmasters1

Did WSMV Channel 4 (NBC of Music City) modify its title to News 4 Nashville? The Wikipedia page seems to indicate thereto, and I wanted to confirm the veracity before telling Scott Kimmell of that Newscast Title site about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSMV-TV

Just now, who?cares said:

It’s been News 4 for about a year or so. 

That's what I thought-- I didn't know if someone made a mistaken edit on Wikipedia and added the "Nashville" word to the title, or if they had indeed modified the title that way. Thanks for the response!

19 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

I like "Channel 4 News" better than News 4.

I never understood why WSMV decided to change the name of their newscasts to News 4 when they've been known as "Channel 4 News" and "THE Channel 4 News" for decades. That and it seems redundant considering WKRN goes by that very same branding as well (though ironically, they were known as "Channel 2 News" for over a decade before adopting the News 2 moniker).

4 hours ago, ChrisC-R said:

Some insight: https://youtu.be/z5h3tjyhTBQ

So far as I know, this “News 4 Nashville” title has only been used for the 10pm weekday open. So if anything, it’s probably nothing major. 

Noticed that-- it probably isn't anything major in the grand scheme of things, but IMO, it's kind of weird that they would add "Nashville" to the late edition opening for the opening announcement, but would not use that word in the on-screen title.

35 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

A closer look...

I really hope the "4" is on the other side of that mug....

nbc nashville.jpg

I can see some vague bits of the yellow 4 on the edge there, should someone just call up the station and order the mug to be sure?

Ok let the resident expert who knows the station weigh in.

Firstly, WSMV has branded as News4 for over a year now. That was instituted because Channel 4 News became long in the tooth and it made sense to shorten the name. The previous news director Denise Eck had the idea of making a Nashville-focused 10pm newscast that only covered news in Davidson County which is where the "News4 Nashville" name came into play. However, that largely backfired and the name is now only still around because they use the cold open at 10pm and decided not to switch back to the old 10pm open yet (which they still use on weekends).

Secondly, I'm not sure where they (Seth Meyers) got that mug, but that IS NOT their logo and at most recent check the brand is still News4 and the logo is still the gold 4 logo always used. It looks photoshopped because that is clearly the old style NBC logo and clearly looks like someone plastered NASHVILLE over an old NBC Charlotte mug.

Thirdly, do not expect them to return to Channel 4 News or The Scene at (insert time here) ever again. The station is starting to find some success under new management who intends to keep the name News4.

8 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Ok let the resident expert who knows the station weigh in.

Firstly, WSMV has branded as News4 for over a year now. That was instituted because Channel 4 News became long in the tooth and it made sense to shorten the name. The previous news director Denise Eck had the idea of making a Nashville-focused 10pm newscast that only covered news in Davidson County which is where the "News4 Nashville" name came into play. However, that largely backfired and the name is now only still around because they use the cold open at 10pm and decided not to switch back to the old 10pm open yet (which they still use on weekends).

Secondly, I'm not sure where they (Seth Meyers) got that mug, but that IS NOT their logo and at most recent check the brand is still News4 and the logo is still the gold 4 logo always used. It looks photoshopped because that is clearly the old style NBC logo and clearly looks like someone plastered NASHVILLE over an old NBC Charlotte mug.

Thirdly, do not expect them to return to Channel 4 News or The Scene at (insert time here) ever again. The station is starting to find some success under new management who intends to keep the name News4.

It's good to hear that things are getting stable again under the new regime.

How that mug could have ended up there is a head-scratcher...and you would think the affiliate would have to clear it first (especially if there was any question on who could have sent it?)

The only real deviation I've seen on Seth Meyers was WBRE's use of their PA Live! mug as opposed to a WBRE one (since they share Eyewitness News with WYOU)

image.png.b43247352941814ca95bc87baf0edee2.png

19 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It's good to hear that things are getting stable again under the new regime.

How that mug could have ended up there is a head-scratcher...and you would think the affiliate would have to clear it first (especially if there was any question on who could have sent it?)

The only real deviation I've seen on Seth Meyers was WBRE's use of their PA Live! mug as opposed to a WBRE one (since they share Eyewitness News with WYOU)

image.png.b43247352941814ca95bc87baf0edee2.png

It is a head scratcher, but I can ask about it. Honestly it looks to me like they were out of News4 mugs to send them so they sent them an NBC Charlotte mug with NASHVILLE pasted on underneath OR somehow it was WSMV's week and they still didn't send them a mug so the network dug out an old NBC Charlotte mug and made a modification just to say they had a WSMV mug even when they didn't. That is CLEARLY an old NBC Charlotte mug, and I highly doubt means anything. WSMV wouldn't be stupid to blow up their current brand and logo, especially since the weather department is keeping the 4WARN name and logo they've used for a long time now. The promotions director at WSMV is an interesting one nonetheless, and I think this was just a mistake.

5 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Does WSMV have mugs in general? Maybe they were asked, went to a maker who had the template and in a rush said yes but replace it with Nashville. 

That's sort of my thinking right now - that doesn't look like a hack job done by Broadway Video's props department. That looks like someone had to approve it, despite a striking similarity to a now couple of years old WCNC logo.

21 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

That's sort of my thinking right now - that doesn't look like a hack job done by Broadway Video's props department. That looks like someone had to approve it, despite a striking similarity to a now couple of years old WCNC logo.

I imagine the person who was asked for a mug wasn’t the CSD, rather someone who deals with affiliate relations.  I imagine if it was the CSD they’d have the appropriate right away. 

The only other thing that I can think of is that the mug manufacturer pulled up a mock logo off of Google.  There have been some interesting things on the satirical BBC show W1A where mocks made on TVForum have showed up on screen - one instance was a computer BBC background.

We have an answer. The promotions manager who used to work at WCNC thought the old WCNC mugs looked good and decided to use something similar and put the gold 4 on the opposite side. Well that's a thing.

Archived