CNN's move to Hudson Yards

17 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Anderson Cooper is using his new studio tonight. Once again, it looks familiar as it uses similar graphics for the background as the previous studio (which was very small -- at least the part used on air), but also very different and modern.

Interestingly, the broadcast opened with some soft music playing as Anderson began. I don't believe 360 has used any sort of theme music in years. No open. No bumpers. Nothing.

(I'll update this post with more screenshots throughout the hour.)

CNN really likes those floor monitors.

Screenshot (57592).png

Screenshot (57594).png

Screenshot (57595).png

Screenshot (57597).png

Screenshot (57603).png

Screenshot (57614).png

Now THAT is a set.  Wow!!!

-- Matt

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/14/2019 at 12:20 AM, Northerner said:

Would anyone put it past CNN to recreate the New Day/Cuomo studio at Hudson Yards?

You got it! (I don't want to steal your prediction but I also thought this was a good bet, specifically because the purple-lit bricks were such a big part of the graphic design.)

Here's Cuomo's studio, shared with New Day. They again do a nice job of making it look different for this broadcast. They're using the other side of the studio. (The "ticker" on the top left of the first image can help find your bearings.)

Screenshot (57719).png

Screenshot (57723).png

Screenshot (57725).png

Screenshot (57729).png

Screenshot (57731).png

Screenshot (57787).png

Screenshot (57801).png

Screenshot (57806).png

Screenshot (57810).png

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

Anderson Cooper is using his new studio tonight. Once again, it looks familiar as it uses similar graphics for the background as the previous studio (which was very small -- at least the part used on air), but also very different and modern.

Interestingly, the broadcast opened with some soft music playing as Anderson began. I don't believe 360 has used any sort of theme music in years. No open. No bumpers. Nothing.

(I'll update this post with more screenshots throughout the hour.)

CNN really likes those floor monitors.

Screenshot (57592).png

Screenshot (57594).png

Screenshot (57595).png

Screenshot (57597).png

Screenshot (57603).png

Screenshot (57614).png

1620988030_Screenshot(57645).thumb.png.dcdbe41f5310170a0048012af3254ada.png

That set is just *chef's kiss*.

I’m surprised they are using camerapersons still.  I thought they used robotics. I think all five studios have launched and look amazing. 

One thing though the makeup artists need to adjust for LED lighting and 4K cameras. 

30 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

I’m surprised they are using camerapersons still.  I thought they used robotics. I think all five studios have launched and look amazing. 

The newsroom is all robotic cameras, like the previous newsroom. I think this is why the set feels so underwhelming. The cameras just feel very static.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:04 PM, Geoffrey said:

Screenshot (57597).png

I was wondering what they'd do when having an in-studio panel. Tonight was our first chance to see the larger desk. (Looks like an extension.)

Screenshot (57920).png

Screenshot (57924).png

Kate Bolduan and At This Hour finally moved into their new studio a few weeks after temporarily moving into the newsroom. As was the arrangement at Columbus Circle, the show shares the studio with New Day and Cuomo Prime Time.

I'm a fan of all the new studios (except for the newsroom) but I wonder if they're "too New York" with all the skyline images.  I think New Yorkers tend to think the world revolves around them and I'm just not sure the rest of the country is dying to see Manhattan buildings in national broadcast graphics all the time.

Screenshot (57966).png

Screenshot (57967).png

Screenshot (57974).png

Screenshot (57977).png

Screenshot (57979).png

This morning was the first time I've seen CNN use the entire newsroom desk as they had six people (two anchors, plus four guests) on there. Thought it looked interesting.

(I think it would look better if the cameras -- at least the main one -- weren't so close to the talent.)

Screenshot (58680).png

Screenshot (58683).png

6 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

This morning was the first time I've seen CNN use the entire newsroom desk as they had six people (two anchors, plus four guests) on there. Thought it looked interesting.

(I think it would look better if the cameras -- at least the main one -- weren't so close to the talent.)

It does look better than a just having two people there. Unfortunately the cameras are as back as they can go on the rostrum. Right below them is where the camera operator sits along with the stage manager. 

I think the old newsroom was much better.  Even when they had those temporary walls behind them on the weekend - I just don't like this at all.

Since Jeff Zucker seemingly wants to move CNN to NYC, the roof could be a little higher at the very least!

• 2 weeks later...

Jake Tapper was in New York today for what I believe was The Lead's first time broadcasting from Hudson Yards. The show used the new AC360 studio and gave us a look at another area that I don't think had been seen on air before.

Most recently when The Lead was anchored from Columbus Circle, Tapper would be in the "CNN Tonight" studio.  Before that, Tapper would use the newsroom set.

Screenshot_(7425).png

Screenshot_(7430).png

23 hours ago, JRogotzke said:

Clickspring Design posted photos, renderings, (including a 360 degree rendering) of Studio 21L the home of AC360. They even detailed the "reverse side" of the studio.  https://www.clickspringdesign.com/portfolio/cnn-hy21l/

Great find! I was interested as to what was on the other side of the studio...  Now we know! I wonder when they might use it. 

• 1 month later...

Archived