CNN's move to Hudson Yards

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B

54 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Why does that give me a Sky News vibe of the mid-2000s, but pre-2005?

Because it’s very similar with the monitors in the back and the side.

I assume that's supposed to be a newsroom.  Looks more like a small cafeteria with some elements from 1960s game shows.  I was hoping for a more impressive newsroom.

I'm interested to see how many studios they assemble.  Currently there's the newsroom that seems to basically be all flash cams.  There's one for New Day, At This Hour, Erin Burnett Outfront and Cuomo Prime Time.  There's another for AC360.  And there's the one for CNN Tonight.

They certainly went the budget route when it comes to lighting fixtures. The whole set in general looks pretty cheap. The LED floor is a neat idea, but I'm pretty sure panels that look way better are available.

This whole setup looks like it was implemented by a wedding DJ.

19 hours ago, Weeters said:

They certainly went the budget route when it comes to lighting fixtures. The whole set in general looks pretty cheap. The LED floor is a neat idea, but I'm pretty sure panels that look way better are available.

This whole setup looks like it was implemented by a wedding DJ.

Isn’t that Jeff Zucker’s MO to do everything on the cheap? Gotta cut costs to keep his paycheck high. 

2 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Isn’t that Jeff Zucker’s MO to do everything on the cheap? Gotta cut costs to keep his paycheck high. 

If it were 100% up to him, the set would be an off-Broadway black box theater with folding chairs and a Cosco plastic folding table; if you were to blank out all of the television elements, an average person would call it describe this picture as a 'new overly shiny urban McDonalds'.

8 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

If it were 100% up to him, the set would be an off-Broadway black box theater with folding chairs and a Cosco plastic folding table; if you were to blank out all of the television elements, an average person would call it describe this picture as a 'new overly shiny urban McDonalds'.

Lest we forget when CNN actually did use a desk purchased from Office Max (according to Newscast Studio).

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2014/04/17/own-cnns-office-max-desk-today/

But in all seriousness, that's probably the most expensive flash camera studio I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

From her IG story, Brooke Baldwin was at the new newsroom Wednesday and noted her show moves to the new studio on Monday.

I take it that means all the New York broadcasts make the move on Monday? Or perhaps over the weekend?

I really hope it looks nice but I'm nervous. (The Atlanta newsroom used to look so nice.)

I wonder if there will be an updated or new graphics package for CNN tomorrow with the move.  The current graphics will be five years old this summer.  (I believe the only change they've had was changing the front from Gotham to CNN Sans.)

Overall I've gotten used to the simple and flat look. It's even inspired packages on Fox News and MSNBC (with people's names and titles being placed on one line above or below the headline). But I'd like to see somewhat of an upgrade, perhaps making the graphics a bit smaller and maybe a bit more colorful.

(Though I don't think they need to get as small as this.)

CNN 033017.jpg

I'm watching the new set now on Early Start and here are my first impressions.

So far, not impressed. It's not terrible, but not first class. Fairly bland and uninspired with no network branding visible. Too bad there are walls on the sides....makes the space look small. The anchor 1-shots look good, although I noticed they have to turn away from center for their single shot instead of the traditional cross shot technique.

No new graphics by the way.

New newsroom debuted on Early Start at 4 a.m. (New Day has not yet made the move so it looks like only the newsroom-based shows may be moving today?)

Agree with PTVNews: "Fairly bland and uninspiring," which is kind of what I expected. It's fine. I'm sure the newsroom is way bigger but they're only showing one section of it. I still say it looks like a cafeteria. Snapshots attached.

(Post updated to include snapshots from the 9 a.m. hour of Newsroom. Jim Sciutto is anchoring from DC so we're seeing much less of the studio with Poppy Harlow alone.)

IMG_20190506_064200.jpg

IMG_20190506_064202.jpg

IMG_20190506_064204.jpg

IMG_20190506_064209.jpg

IMG_20190506_064211.jpg

IMG_20190506_064214.jpg

IMG_20190506_064219.jpg

IMG_20190506_064221.jpg

IMG_20190506_064223.jpg

IMG_20190506_100312.jpg

IMG_20190506_100314.jpg

Not bad, but it's kinda underwhelming for a cable news channel. The main home base shots look like a mid-market local station who set up shop in their newsroom while their real set is being built. Especially with the wall o' sliding doors and the TV monitor alcove.

It's an improvement, and I think it actually turned out better than I thought. I do agree that it feels a little underwhelming considering that they had a completely blank slate to start with.

I was surprised to see At This Hour using the newsroom. (At Columbus Circle, the broadcast shared the New Day studio.)

Brooke Baldwin is the first to be sitting all the way on the right side of the desk so that her background is a screen, similar to the setup in the old newsroom. (I like that the background is one screen and we no longer have the "lines"/bezels between multiple monitors.) As expected, the background turns red for breaking news.

I wonder if the screen on the floor will be used for more than just logos.

IMG_20190506_141025.jpg

IMG_20190506_141030.jpg

IMG_20190506_140945.jpg

IMG_20190506_140947.jpg

IMG_20190506_140949.jpg

IMG_20190506_140955.jpg

IMG_20190506_140957.jpg

IMG_20190506_141344.jpg

10 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I wonder if the screen on the floor will be used for more than just logos.

IMG_20190506_141025.jpg

IMG_20190506_141344.jpg

At first I thought that was an actual in-floor display, and then the more I looked at it, it seemed like it might just be a projection onto the floor. But then there are those many small tiles of some sort, so that made me think it probably is an actual actual in-floor display. I guess all those tiles makes it easier to replace small segments if damaged? 

Maybe it's something like this: 

http://ekta-led.com/en/products/led-panels/wowfloor

Am I one of the only two people here that actually like it? I feel that if this debuted in Europe everyone would be raving, calling it revolutionary and another example of how things don't have to be flashy to look classy. In the continuing era of minimalism, this does just that. For a board that's taken to really liking flat and simple, y'all seem oddly critical of this minimalist design. It's a bit ironic to me lol.

That said, that "desk" is atrocious and needs to go ASAP. The walls do make the space seem small, but otherwise I think it's a fine look.

Really, if the walls weren't just plain off white/grey, it might look a bit more lively. Add a couple more CNN logos, hang a few pictures, or some decorative wall set elements and there would probably be a better sense of depth.

Archived