Al Jazeera English

alaskanews

i would like everyone's thoughts on the network. i really wish american cable and satellite providers would pick it up. its not a "terrorist propaganda channel" in fact they are one of if not the only independent news operation in the middle east. the english channel is based in doha, quatar, but they have bureaus in washington, london, and kuala lompur. if you go on their channel on youtube the reporting is kind of dry in some cases, but i would rather have dry than tabloid. http://youtube.com/user/AlJazeeraEnglish to me it appears to be a truely global network, which would be nice to see in america, where we are so us centric. but we need to get over our fear and prejudice of the name. ive been kicking around the idea for a while now of looking into working in the washington bureau or the doha headquarters after college, but thats a few years off...

for those of you that really dont care about reporting and whatnot, the sets and graphics are very euro...

I've caught this on C-band a few times. Here are my complaints:

1. Too boring

2. Unoriginal

3. Their attempts at being balanced are earnest, but often appear lopsided. While it is important to allow all sides to express their views, for some reason AlJazeera appears to be biased. I know when a terrorist organization sends your network a tape, you want to air it, but the fast turnaround AlJazeera seems to provide these terrorist groups makes it appear that they are biased. This is something they really need to work on.

Also, they have hired many journalists who have issues concerning journalistic objectivity.

It's obvious that they are trying to blend a lot of aspects from a lot of news operations (FNC's "fair and balanced", BBC's style of longform mini doc pieces, Sky News'-set). I'm not saying that they are a mouthpiece for any particular group, but at times when I've watched, it's kinda/sorta looked that way.

Archived