Interesting Newscast Titles

KnoxvilleTVFan

How about Starting Today, morning edition title of WPXI Channel 11 (NBC in Pittsburgh, PA) in the 90s? It seems like that could have meant that it was the first morning news of the day (just my guess).

8 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

WKYC had 5:30 in the early 1980's.

Oh, and don't forget ei8ht is News!

I think a few of the New World-gone-Fox stations did this for a quick minute too, including WAGA and WITI. 

By the time Fox took over these stations, they went to the FOX 'x' News title. 

For the first few weeks after WJW became "Fox 8", the newscasts were FOX 8 is News, with the "FOX 8" logo instead of the "ei8ht" variant.

Here's another question: What stations other than WKBN, WKBW, and WJXT had newscast titles that were redundant in the 90s, ie. "Newswatch 27 First News at (time)" or "NewsChannel 7 Eyewitness News"

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I think a few of the New World-gone-Fox stations did this for a quick minute too, including WAGA and WITI. 

By the time Fox took over these stations, they went to the FOX 'x' News title. 

For the first few weeks after WJW became "Fox 8", the newscasts were FOX 8 is News, with the "FOX 8" logo instead of the "ei8ht" variant.

During that time, they also liked calling their late news as "(name of news op) Primetime", since they were moving their 11PM shows to 10PM/9PM. They mostly stopped this by 97-98.

1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

Here's another question: What stations other than WKBN, WKBW, and WJXT had newscast titles that were redundant in the 90s, ie. "Newswatch 27 First News at (time)" or "NewsChannel 7 Eyewitness News"

I believe in WKBN's case, the branding was either transitional (from Newswatch 27 into WKBN FirstNews)....or just loosely handled to the point the titles were blurred together.  Whenever WKBN starting using Gari's Newschannel (with the original cuts), the FirstNews brand was brought into the title, while the "Newswatch" was still used on-set and in the CC disclaimer (until it could be updated).  Loosely handled meaning the branding wasn't as slick and polished as it is today.

By 1996, when the newscasts got new graphics and the updated cuts of Newschannel, FirstNews was in full effect. 

This was the last change before the original owners sold the WKBN empire to Piedmont (TV) and Clear Channel (the radio stations)....

6 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

I think WLOS in Asheville might have had that: News 13 First News at 5 might have been the name.

13 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Doesn't WSIL still fall into this with "News 3 News at [time]"?

1 hour ago, hmaxhanson said:

Could KGWN qualify? They're known on air as NewsChannel 5, but their logo looks like they're called CBS 5 NewsChannel. Image result for kgwn

Practically any station that has its title elements arranged to supposedly make the viewer read the on-screen title as the real title (when the real title is otherwise) would qualify in that-- think WCIV (Channel 4, ABC in Charleston, SC), where the on-screen title is supposedly ABC 4 News, but the real title is ABC News 4.

Two other ABC stations on Channel 4 had it vice-versa at one time-- on KOMO in Seattle, the on-screen title supposedly read KOMO News 4, but the title as read by the announcer was KOMO 4 News. Similarly, KITV in Honolulu had its on-screen title to read KITV News 4, but the real title was KITV 4 News.

wciv2016.jpg

komo4news.jpg

kitv4news.jpg

KNTV 11 The San Jose NewsChannel 1987-97

Along with a theme based on 'do you know the way to san jose' - about as unique as they come.

Although they had a secondary title for the newscasts themselves...'KNTV News at XX' the reporters would close their packages with 'REPORTERNAME...KNTV The San Jose NewsChannel'

On 4/5/2019 at 2:27 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

Or a station using NewsSource. It was never a popular newscast title like NewsCenter or NewsWatch. However, the most notable one to use that was WOKR before it became WHAM.

WAGM still uses News Source as its newscast title.
6354045-WAGM-This-Morning-05-06-2016.jpg

WABI used Telejournal News as its newscast title for decades, a reflection of the extensive French-Canadian heritage in Maine

Great....now I'm having flashbacks of WIAT 42 News....or is it WIAT News 42?

image.png.10e5b395c580620cbc496e5980dd6dd7.png

Thank goodness Nexstar put their foot down and made them CBS 42 again once and for all....

...and speaking of CBS affiliates in the ratings dumper...

lest we forget WGCL's Clear News (complete with a News theme remake of Johnny Nash's I Can See Clearly Now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKG6HWO9orw

When that failed to catch on, we had the see saw between CBS 46 and CBS Atlanta  that's repeated itself too many times to count since then....

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Great....now I'm having flashbacks of WIAT 42 News....or is it WIAT News 42?

image.png.10e5b395c580620cbc496e5980dd6dd7.png

Thank goodness Nexstar put their foot down and made them CBS 42 again once and for all....

...and speaking of CBS affiliates in the ratings dumper...

lest we forget WGCL's Clear News (complete with a News theme remake of Johnny Nash's I Can See Clearly Now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKG6HWO9orw

When that failed to catch on, we had the see saw between CBS 46 and CBS Atlanta  that's repeated itself too many times to count since then....

See WGCL's previous CBS46 logo before the current one that debuted after they returned to the brand from CBS Atlanta. It basically reads CBS 46 CBS with the eye placement.

1 hour ago, KentBrockman said:

See WGCL's previous CBS46 logo before the current one that debuted after they returned to the brand from CBS Atlanta. It basically reads CBS 46 CBS with the eye placement.

Checked that out on Logopedia, and that was pretty weird, if you ask me!

The 2001-02 Vancouver TV realignment gave us "BCTV News on Global" on CHAN and "BC CTV News" on CIVT.  I think CHAN saw value in the name and didn't want CIVT to take it - plus the old Global News, CKVU was using aspects of the brand (graphics, music) til they were sold off.

A year later, CIVT simply became 'CTV News' while CHAN stuck with the BCTV title til January of 2006 IIRC and every station adopted their news titles (News Hour, News Hour Final, etc...)

WVUE/New Orleans went with "Fox News Eight" for a little while before shifting back to the more conventional "Fox 8 News". It sounded a little weird, which was surprising considering the newscasts were branded as "News 8" for years.

2 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

A lot of you guys aren't naming truly interesting newscast titles. "NewsChannel __", "Eyewitness News," "Action News," "News __ at __" are all very generic and widely used.

They're not interesting if they're all widely used. These are names we grew up with, not the obscure ones like NewsSource or Inside Las Vegas, which were rarely used or duplicated.

10 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

They're not interesting if they're all widely used. These are names we grew up with, not the obscure ones like NewsSource or Inside Las Vegas, which were rarely used or duplicated.

With that being said, it’s going to be a lock. 

Archived