Good Morning America New Set - Video Walls Galore

wabceyewitness

23 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I wouldn’t quite say that Good Morning America touts their Times Square location, in fact they’ve severely underused the location since they began an in-studio audience back in 2006 (save for the years in 2012-2014 when they featured the outdoor plaza often). 

The lack of Times Square utilization has always been a drawback for GMA compared to Today.

I agree that they under utitlize the physical Times Square location (I’ve heard, and I believe it’s been posted on this forum, that part of the reason is because of the logisitical nightmare it is to coordinate that with the NYPD and NYC DOT). I was, however, referring to them touting their Times Square location in opens, promos, etc. For example, they open the show every hour saying “live from Times Square” and have branded segments and promos for celebrity interviews called “[Celeb Name] Live In Times Square!” 

23 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

The way that studio is set up, it makes me wonder if they're prepping to vacate the Times Square space outright - maybe to coincide with the move of ABC News HQ from Columbus Circle.

That has to be an expensive place to rent out, and the easiest way to get your viewers accustomed to not seeing the TS backdrop as part of a move is to cut it out now where possible.

I thought as well — maybe they are rethinking their statements from a few months ago that promised GMA would remain in Times Square. That said, if you look closely and can decipher it through all the distracting pieces of the set, the home base backdrop has a faint image of Times Square in the center (behind the Twilight Zone cascading rectangles) and off to the sides. 

22 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I spoke to one prominent set designer and fabricator who called the new GMA studio “a POS” and doesn’t expect it to last five months. But added it can’t be said publicly as the community is so small and you frequently have to work with other designers and fabricators.

Glad professionals in the business feel the same way. I imagine many executives, talent and other eyes saw designs for this set and were asked for feedback and, at the most senior levels, asked for approval.  How did this happen? I am seriously distracted watching Good Morning America now because of how obnoxiously bad the set is. If you take a look at their social media - where they thought it was a good idea to celebrate the set - they got a load of negative comments from everyday viewers who hate it for many of the plain and simple reasons us television news observers have already listed in this thread. I do hope ABC is responsive and fixes it sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, wabceyewitness said:

I do hope ABC is responsive and fixes it sooner rather than later. 

They are probably taking notes and fix it in due time. There was outrage when Today got the set back in 2013 and it was updated in a year. 

There is WAY too much going on. Even just looking at screen caps my eyes are darting everywhere trying to take everything in and process it. The video walls are completely lost with everything going on around them. Even the gfx are lost in the busy carnival house-like mess of the studio. Was somebody tripping on LSD when they designed it? It probably looked better on paper than in execution.

• 2 weeks later...

Really not digging the new set. Video walls are cool and easy but we need a balance. I don't like that every station seems to be substituting them for an actual material set. I liked the living room style sets of the Joan Lunden/ Charles Gibson era, they were really warm, lavish and inviting. Bring that back!

Screenshot_2019-04-17-21-22-34.png

• 3 weeks later...

Some visible tweaks have been made. The cascading rectangles of light that appear behind Robin’s chair are now lit in blue (the used to be white). They now blend in a bit with the backdrop screens and don’t stick out like an eyesore directly behind home base. Additionally, the left and right backdrop screens have more visible images Times Square now rather than the circle graphics. Better than what originally debuted but, overall, still a really awful and atrocious set. 

8 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Some visible tweaks have been made. The cascading rectangles of light that appear behind Robin’s chair are now lit in blue (the used to be white). They now blend in a bit with the backdrop screens and don’t stick out like an eyesore directly behind home base. Additionally, the left and right backdrop screens have more visible images Times Square now rather than the circle graphics. Better than what originally debuted but, overall, still a really awful and atrocious set. 

They are back to super distracting white lit cascading rectangles this morning.  Here’s what it looked like Tuesday morning; and you’ll see the Times Square images in the background that have replaced the graphic elements.  

5FAE71A7-E736-45E7-B746-5BC917CE8744.jpeg

1F0D80A2-04FF-405E-85F5-5C125F76B0CD.jpeg

47C752EC-59EA-4AF9-B342-155A37115D6E.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I think that looks a lot better.

Agreed. Removing (or at least heavily toning down) the circles graphics takes a lot of unneeded depth away from the set and makes it look much better (or at least much more easier and tolerable to watch).

Archived