Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Hickman360

WSB TV debuts a new open

Recommended Posts

Right before Cox gets swallowed...

 

I’d say it’s a good change, especially since those previous graphics were going on 9 years this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The open, transition graphics, and weather graphics were the only part of the 2012 graphics still in use. The Lower 3rds and bumper graphics were refreshed about 2 years ago.

 

open looks great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I'm sick of flat design, so a return to 2010 is a welcome departure.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, morning traffic said:

VERY good if this was 2010. It's not bad, but it's not exactly following any recent motion design / industry trends.

 

And I don't think that's a bad thing. Just by the nature of it being two dimensions there's only so far that medium can take you. I know I am not buying a 4K set just to see white type inside a thin box on a red background.

 

Everything is cyclical. Everyone tried to be flat 10-12 years ago...and 10-12 years before that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Looks horrible. This country has so many great designers, yet TV news design has been, with rare exceptions (Tegna, etc.), wretchedly conservative for the better part of two decades. It's as if station managers don't want their product to look modern, elegant, and sophisticated. This is especially baffling since tech companies like Apple have proved that good design ultimately pays off. Graphics like this make TV news look like cheap video games.

 

This is how good TV news design (set, graphics, etc.) can be if you encourage designers to be inventive:

 

 

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The open is nice, but sloppy near the end, which leads me to believe it was done in-house. The picture of the building suddenly disappears when the chopper starts to fly out of frame and the yellow lines/logo appear out of no where. It's a bit jarring, and it appears there should have been some sort of transition intended to go there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, WWUpdate said:

Looks horrible. This country has so many great designers, yet TV news design has been, with rare exceptions (Tegna, etc.), wretchedly conservative for the better part of two decades. It's as if station managers don't want their product to look modern, elegant, and sophisticated. This is especially baffling since tech companies like Apple have proved that good design ultimately pays off. Graphics like this make TV news look like cheap video games.

 

This is how good TV news design (set, graphics, etc.) can be if you encourage designers to be inventive:

 

 

 

I'll be honest, every time I see European TV - and this has been the case since I discovered TV Ark back in 2004 - it strikes me like I'm watching something from the future, a future America isn't ready for yet.

 

I'd be bigger on the flat revolution in the States if it were more inventive for sure. And I admit some of it has knocked my socks off (like the 2017 Fox Sports redesign which went full-bore on legibility - and I'm a big Benton Sans fan), but a lot of it feels like slavish surface-level emulation of Google, or is held back by the inherent one-size-fits-all needs of standardization. TEGNA definitely seems bent on dragging its company kicking and screaming into the future, for better or for worse.

Edited by channel2
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, channel2 said:

 

I'll be honest, every time I see European TV - and this has been the case since I discovered TV Ark back in 2004 - it strikes me like I'm watching something from the future, a future America isn't ready for yet.

 

This is frustrating, because in many other areas, American design is world-class. In fact. some local stations have impressively designed lobbies that look far more modern and elegant that their news sets. I think that a lot has to do with the fact that many news directors are afraid to make any changes that aren't backed up by years of audience research.

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, channel2 said:

Do you have examples?

 

I'm always pleasantly surprised when I walk past WBBM's lobby, for instance. It looked great even when their on-air look was a mess:

CBS_lobby.max-1600x1200.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While NewsChopper 2 now looks as if it's in motion - as opposed to the last open where it seemed like it was a still photo animated across the screen - that NewsChopper 2 shot still looks awkward and out of place compared to what's going on behind it. I'm also not a fan of that weird jerk the motion camera does near the end. Makes the whole thing seem a bit sloppy.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

 

I'm always pleasantly surprised when I walk past WBBM's lobby, for instance. It looked great even when their on-air look was a mess:

CBS_lobby.max-1600x1200.jpg

 

Wow that lobby looks like an Apple store 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn’t look so bad if they hadn’t zoomed in so tight on the random high rise at the end of the NewsChopper 2 portion. So tight it’s almost grainy looking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The helicopter animation reminds me a bit of the old WJZ animation with the helicopter flying out at the screen.  I cannot find that open to save the life of me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could use a little polishing.

 

Do that and make some new lower thirds, OTS, etc. and I’m cool with it. 

 

(Though a part of me also wishes they’d just “borrow and modify” the WFTV graphics.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TresGriffin said:

(Though a part of me also wishes they’d just “borrow and modify” the WFTV graphics.)

 

All of this.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TresGriffin said:

Could use a little polishing.

 

Do that and make some new lower thirds, OTS, etc. and I’m cool with it. 

 

(Though a part of me also wishes they’d just “borrow and modify” the WFTV graphics.)

Oh and also, I think WSB-TV needs to revive the closing graphic that involves NewsChopper 2 flying around, but with a new and modern twist for today's era.

 

Here are the past versions of that closing from 1997, 1999 and 2004:

85sDZ1v.png

VnD31oh.png

EwdK0e0.png

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.