The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

On 11/28/2023 at 5:54 PM, ELISYSYN said:

came across this while browsing the web:

image.gif.cabf22c30d70d7aeeba7fbd4161895f1.gif

It appears (correct me if i am wrong) that WOIO/WUAB are beginning the switch to GrayOne. Additionally they are also using the same FIRST ALERT WEATHER  logo as WANF:

image.png.710e6fb1666365d61e2ee1bd53121501.png WOIO/WUAB

image.png.6e3634461706b1835f61b6f1a2cf4a5c.png WANF

A Gray station switching their FA logo is not necessarily an indicator of anything. KBJR uses the same logo (but in blue) but outside of weather graphics, they still use a slightly modified version of their KBJR* graphics from Quincy ownership

image.png.df3b5782f4f82a4cbbe8fa184032ea8c.png

(*Before the Northern News Now stunt, KBJR6 and CBS3 had their own graphics packages)

1 hour ago, TennTV1983 said:

Apparently, someone is a fan of the old WFOR logo because that's what KMOV's new logo reminds me of.

Don't believe me? Look at this.

kmov-first-alert-4.thumb.jpg.b656b141a54cf41d93179a07f5c005b3.jpg

Just looked at their map room on their website... A whole bunch has switched over... wish they went with the blue theme instead of red...

1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

What Gray stations have the oldest graphics packages? They should be a target for GrayOne next, although they would be in small markets I would assume.

WCTV in Tallahassee is one of those stations along with a couple others with those same graphics.

15 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

WCTV in Tallahassee is one of those stations along with a couple others with those same graphics.

Oddly enough, WLOX in Biloxi had this one originally, and when they put in their new studio, switched to the same one WJHG was using before they went with the "Honeycomb" look.

Meanwhile, WVUE went with the WSFA look while WALA went GrayOne recently.

8 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Meanwhile, WVUE went with the WSFA look while WALA went GrayOne recently.

You call it the WSFA look when it was WMC-TV that launched it first.

I'm surprised WWSB's current look was utilized by the likes of WAFF and WDAM. I don't hate it, but there are certain elements of that package that just look dated.

9 hours ago, LOWERCASE GUY said:

It doesn't even look like they went with red on the WX graphics, but rather....gray? Hmmmmm.

7 Day

Well, I certainly appreciate that they did not pick an entirely red theme for the graphics.  Gray doesn't look bad at all... Way better than what WWBT Richmond has. It's SO red you cannot even see what's in the background of the graphics! Very distracting.

I actually like this!

Edited by Denver Murray
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ELISYSYN said:

My biggest critique on Grayone, is that the L3s don't go from end to end on the screen. Just wasting space. (I know this is probably a relic of the 4:3 aspect ratio of the first 60 years of television)

It’s not necessary. The program is going out in widescreen. However, many HDTVs like old analog TVs have overscan. This can be turned off but most people don’t know how to change it. So it’s best to keep most graphics 14:9 safe. 

WWBT NBC 12 has kinda-sorta-re-branded to "12 On Your Side" ... However, it's not uniform.  The intros still have the peacock and "NEWS" under the logo with the peacock. Only the bug/ticker and the Facebook page logos have been changed. Everything else is the same for now.

image.thumb.png.aff1c1b936d36325678fd5041b86c0a3.png

1 hour ago, Denver Murray said:

WWBT NBC 12 has kinda-sorta-re-branded to "12 On Your Side" ... However, it's not uniform.  The intros still have the peacock and "NEWS" under the logo with the peacock. Only the bug/ticker and the Facebook page logos have been changed. Everything else is the same for now.

image.thumb.png.aff1c1b936d36325678fd5041b86c0a3.png

Is this a trend with GRAY NBC affiliates? WMC Action News 5 removed the NBC Peacock from their onscreen bug all of a sudden. 

407359299_749073010592846_3737699190642529809_n.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NewsGuyTV said:

Is this a trend with GRAY NBC affiliates? WMC Action News 5 removed the NBC Peacock from their onscreen bug all of a sudden. 

407359299_749073010592846_3737699190642529809_n.jpg

WSMV did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and most recently changed their weather logo as well - removing the NBC peacock from their branding.

VUit_WSMV4News-GoogleChrome12_4_20236_07_00PM.thumb.png.4c50c023597c60322891f8c0274f0675.png

And before anyone asks, NBC does not have a mandate for its affiliated stations to have the peacock in its branding.

54 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

WSMV did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and most recently changed their weather logo as well - removing the NBC peacock from their branding.

VUit_WSMV4News-GoogleChrome12_4_20236_07_00PM.thumb.png.4c50c023597c60322891f8c0274f0675.png

And before anyone asks, NBC does not have a mandate for its affiliated stations to have the peacock in its branding.

It’s a trend with all Gray stations.

WTVG in Toledo switched from “13abc Action News” to just “13 Action News” (and no ABC logo).

WNEM in Flint/Saginaw/Bay City also recently removed the CBS eye mark from its logo.

But I’ll stop there because I don’t want this to be a list…

On 12/3/2023 at 9:55 PM, jd285 said:

Welcome to First Alert 4. 

This is absolutely awful. First, the fact that they are using red tends to indicate Breaking News, which is exactly what Alert insinuates. This is why First Alert Weather has always struck me as bad branding for weather too. You're going to burn out your audience if all news product is branded as "First Alert" instead prioritizing the content. Ultimately, having clear brand and design language is really needed to inform viewers and boost ratings... This won't do it.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 4