Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I found what the main non-newscast logo will look like.      And here's more of the upcoming graphics in action.    

Someone, for the love of all things holy, please call Gray and tell them to delete this package from their system…      Literally this is all I see.. 😂

1998 called. It wants its HDTV back. 🙂

Posted Images

  • 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

"First Alert" for a news brand........ The question is why?

Gotta get that Gray trademark on everything (WBAY launched a "First Alert Fastcast on Facebook" this morning, which I'm sure Jeff Laurence loved to say 🤪)! I'm surprised the smoke alarm company hasn't challenged them for dilution despite their different industries.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Gotta get that Gray trademark on everything (WBAY launched a "First Alert Fastcast on Facebook" this morning, which I'm sure Jeff Laurence loved to say 🤪)! I'm surprised the smoke alarm company hasn't challenged them for dilution despite their different industries.

 

It was actually mostly used by the ex-Raycom stations as their brand, later adopted by the Gray legacy stations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking it back another step, I believe the "First Alert" design in itself was an FX/Giant Octopus thing back when many stations were going HD and getting new sets.

 

A similar "Storm Tracker" graphic was used on WALA's 2012 HD set, but never used on air. This was back when they were LIN.

However, over in Biloxi at WLOX, they used the "first alert" (and still do) and it was part of their look both on set and graphics.

 

Bottom line, Gray and Raycom ran with it, and it's like a part of them.  A decade ago, much of Gray's on air looks were basically small market ripoffs of others.   But how the tables have turned in our industry....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Taking it back another step, I believe the "First Alert" design in itself was an FX/Giant Octopus thing back when many stations were going HD and getting new sets.

 

A similar "Storm Tracker" graphic was used on WALA's 2012 HD set, but never used on air. This was back when they were LIN.

However, over in Biloxi at WLOX, they used the "first alert" (and still do) and it was part of their look both on set and graphics.

 

Bottom line, Gray and Raycom ran with it, and it's like a part of them.  A decade ago, much of Gray's on air looks were basically small market ripoffs of others.   But how the tables have turned in our industry....

 

Hearst too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Gotta get that Gray trademark on everything (WBAY launched a "First Alert Fastcast on Facebook" this morning, which I'm sure Jeff Laurence loved to say 🤪)! I'm surprised the smoke alarm company hasn't challenged them for dilution despite their different industries.

 

"First Alert" was what played into WOIO using the "First. Fair. Everywhere." slogan on its newscasts.  The "First" part replaced "Honest," which goes back to the "Action News" heyday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, HoosierNewsie said:

 

KOSA debuted the beehive graphics. I’m so over the first alert branding. This might be the dumbest variation of it yet. 

Looks like WTOK may be switching to this package based on the top banner update on their website and the talent backgrounds on their staff page. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NWA_TV_guy said:

Looks like WTOK may be switching to this package based on the top banner update on their website and the talent backgrounds on their staff page. 

 

You can add WTVM to the list to gain the HoneyComb look too. Their banner at WTVM.COM also carries that same look (in the blue and gold color scheme), as WTVY, KOSA, and others. (I guess this, the WMC package, along with the WAFF/WDAM, and WLOX package, are the 4 packages Gray is rolling out across the board right now)... 

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 9.17.13 AM.png

Edited by Working4You
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Working4You said:

 

You can add WTVM to the list to gain the HoneyComb look too. Their banner at WTVM.COM also carries that same look (in the blue and gold color scheme), as WTVY, KOSA, and others. (I guess this, the WMC package, along with the WAFF/WDAM, and WLOX package, are the 4 packages Gray is rolling out across the board right now)... 

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 9.17.13 AM.png

 

This look is dated and was better executed at WJXT in 2013.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2021 at 6:14 PM, NWA_TV_guy said:

Looks like WTOK may be switching to this package based on the top banner update on their website and the talent backgrounds on their staff page. 

I’ve noticed this logo on the newsroom wall in a picture found on Facebook. I don’t recall this ever being a logo used before, so maybe there’s a lot more to come for Meridian?  479D6F1F-B76E-49BE-8A57-DE11BDD7CD40.thumb.jpeg.13f62e927f0ec164a3bb193c2cacd621.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kfc513 said:

WFIE is gonna have to make up their mind on what graphics package to take.

WFIE-Gray-GFX-1.PNG.8b63962c33bf9b7bfed4101c4e85678c.PNGWFIE-Gray-GFX-2.PNG.3acf65f4fd50ef26d6bcb21abe5d092d.PNG

 

Hopefully the latter.  Likely the marketing people up the ladder of Gray have taken the reins and are ready to bring down the new look and branding.

The look they have now just screams "interim" because of it's unholy mess of old and new elements.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Which GM/ND/CSD looks at the honeycomb package and says, “That’s the package I want for us!” ??? It immediately looks so dated. Straight from the 1970s or 1980s. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Greggo said:

Which GM/ND/CSD looks at the honeycomb package and says, “That’s the package I want for us!” ??? It immediately looks so dated. Straight from the 1970s or 1980s. 

All the Gray Packages can't effectively compete with the competition. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding to the cheesiness … that shot behind the female KOSA anchor is a static one. She’s not in the control room. And not in front of a monitor showing a live look inside the control room. I wonder how many viewers have picked up on that 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2021 at 7:51 PM, NWA_TV_guy said:

I’ve noticed this logo on the newsroom wall in a picture found on Facebook. I don’t recall this ever being a logo used before, so maybe there’s a lot more to come for Meridian?  479D6F1F-B76E-49BE-8A57-DE11BDD7CD40.thumb.jpeg.13f62e927f0ec164a3bb193c2cacd621.jpeg

Looks like a rip off of the WBAY logo. RKVMVE4OEJMDDHRKPPOQX63JPM.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, HoosierNewsie said:

Someone, for the love of all things holy, please call Gray and tell them to delete this package from their system… 

Literally this is all I see.. 😂

1EEC6015-3A53-40BC-B21D-42C68EE78B75.jpeg

Too bad KFBB is not a Gray station.  It would be perfect!

Let us "BEE" your #1 station!

 

(and yes, this was actually their logo at one time)
 

Screen_Shot_2016-06-10_at_3.43.19_PM.png

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.