The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

"First Alert" for a news brand........ The question is why?

Gotta get that Gray trademark on everything (WBAY launched a "First Alert Fastcast on Facebook" this morning, which I'm sure Jeff Laurence loved to say 🤪)! I'm surprised the smoke alarm company hasn't challenged them for dilution despite their different industries.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Gotta get that Gray trademark on everything (WBAY launched a "First Alert Fastcast on Facebook" this morning, which I'm sure Jeff Laurence loved to say 🤪)! I'm surprised the smoke alarm company hasn't challenged them for dilution despite their different industries.

It was actually mostly used by the ex-Raycom stations as their brand, later adopted by the Gray legacy stations.

Taking it back another step, I believe the "First Alert" design in itself was an FX/Giant Octopus thing back when many stations were going HD and getting new sets.

A similar "Storm Tracker" graphic was used on WALA's 2012 HD set, but never used on air. This was back when they were LIN.

However, over in Biloxi at WLOX, they used the "first alert" (and still do) and it was part of their look both on set and graphics.

Bottom line, Gray and Raycom ran with it, and it's like a part of them.  A decade ago, much of Gray's on air looks were basically small market ripoffs of others.   But how the tables have turned in our industry....

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Taking it back another step, I believe the "First Alert" design in itself was an FX/Giant Octopus thing back when many stations were going HD and getting new sets.

A similar "Storm Tracker" graphic was used on WALA's 2012 HD set, but never used on air. This was back when they were LIN.

However, over in Biloxi at WLOX, they used the "first alert" (and still do) and it was part of their look both on set and graphics.

Bottom line, Gray and Raycom ran with it, and it's like a part of them.  A decade ago, much of Gray's on air looks were basically small market ripoffs of others.   But how the tables have turned in our industry....

Hearst too.

15 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

"First Alert" was what played into WOIO using the "First. Fair. Everywhere." slogan on its newscasts.  The "First" part replaced "Honest," which goes back to the "Action News" heyday.

18 hours ago, HoosierNewsie said:

KOSA debuted the beehive graphics. I’m so over the first alert branding. This might be the dumbest variation of it yet. 

Looks like WTOK may be switching to this package based on the top banner update on their website and the talent backgrounds on their staff page. 

16 hours ago, NWA_TV_guy said:

Looks like WTOK may be switching to this package based on the top banner update on their website and the talent backgrounds on their staff page. 

You can add WTVM to the list to gain the HoneyComb look too. Their banner at WTVM.COM also carries that same look (in the blue and gold color scheme), as WTVY, KOSA, and others. (I guess this, the WMC package, along with the WAFF/WDAM, and WLOX package, are the 4 packages Gray is rolling out across the board right now)... 

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 9.17.13 AM.png

Edited by Working4You

44 minutes ago, Working4You said:

You can add WTVM to the list to gain the HoneyComb look too. Their banner at WTVM.COM also carries that same look (in the blue and gold color scheme), as WTVY, KOSA, and others. (I guess this, the WMC package, along with the WAFF/WDAM, and WLOX package, are the 4 packages Gray is rolling out across the board right now)... 

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 9.17.13 AM.png

This look is dated and was better executed at WJXT in 2013.

On 9/28/2021 at 6:14 PM, NWA_TV_guy said:

I’ve noticed this logo on the newsroom wall in a picture found on Facebook. I don’t recall this ever being a logo used before, so maybe there’s a lot more to come for Meridian?  479D6F1F-B76E-49BE-8A57-DE11BDD7CD40.thumb.jpeg.13f62e927f0ec164a3bb193c2cacd621.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kfc513 said:

WFIE is gonna have to make up their mind on what graphics package to take.

WFIE-Gray-GFX-1.PNG.8b63962c33bf9b7bfed4101c4e85678c.PNGWFIE-Gray-GFX-2.PNG.3acf65f4fd50ef26d6bcb21abe5d092d.PNG

Hopefully the latter.  Likely the marketing people up the ladder of Gray have taken the reins and are ready to bring down the new look and branding.

The look they have now just screams "interim" because of it's unholy mess of old and new elements.

59 minutes ago, Greggo said:

Which GM/ND/CSD looks at the honeycomb package and says, “That’s the package I want for us!” ??? It immediately looks so dated. Straight from the 1970s or 1980s. 

All the Gray Packages can't effectively compete with the competition. 

• Like 3

Adding to the cheesiness … that shot behind the female KOSA anchor is a static one. She’s not in the control room. And not in front of a monitor showing a live look inside the control room. I wonder how many viewers have picked up on that 🤣

On 9/29/2021 at 7:51 PM, NWA_TV_guy said:

I’ve noticed this logo on the newsroom wall in a picture found on Facebook. I don’t recall this ever being a logo used before, so maybe there’s a lot more to come for Meridian?  479D6F1F-B76E-49BE-8A57-DE11BDD7CD40.thumb.jpeg.13f62e927f0ec164a3bb193c2cacd621.jpeg

Looks like a rip off of the WBAY logo. RKVMVE4OEJMDDHRKPPOQX63JPM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierNewsie said:

Someone, for the love of all things holy, please call Gray and tell them to delete this package from their system… 

Literally this is all I see.. 😂

1EEC6015-3A53-40BC-B21D-42C68EE78B75.jpeg

Too bad KFBB is not a Gray station.  It would be perfect!

Let us "BEE" your #1 station!

(and yes, this was actually their logo at one time)

Screen_Shot_2016-06-10_at_3.43.19_PM.png

• Haha 3

• 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread