The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

11 hours ago, cxd7346 said:

What’s clunky about it? 
Agreed. It proves my point that any music can work as long as the voiceover and cadence of the open match.

The smash cut to the First Alert sting at 0:49 was very awkward and clunky; otherwise the tease and open were spot on and basically how the news should open. I get it, though, with first-day jitters and working things out, but again, otherwise, so far it looks very good - a case study in how other stations can and should use the GrayONE package. (Can't wait to see how WDBJ and WWBT do their versions when they launch there.)

5 minutes ago, BrakusJPS said:

(Can't wait to see how WDBJ and WWBT do their versions when they launch there.)

WWBT is already using Gray One graphics.

5 hours ago, NCbroadcastgeek said:

Looks like WECT might be on the way to GrayOne. They recently switched to non-NBC cuts of Inergy and in addition their “Vote 2024” graphic is using a white background associated with the new graphics.

I don't think that "Vote 2024" graphic is from Gray One.

9 minutes ago, BrakusJPS said:

The smash cut to the First Alert sting at 0:49 was very awkward and clunky; otherwise the tease and open were spot on and basically how the news should open. I get it, though, with first-day jitters and working things out, but again, otherwise, so far it looks very good - a case study in how other stations can and should use the GrayONE package. (Can't wait to see how WDBJ and WWBT do their versions when they launch there.)

That was a coding error in Ross OD. I made stingers (like you saw play out) and I made “open stingers” that sting out after the open seamlessly…the coding was swapped and that’s what occurred. 

Thank you. This has been a dream project. I was literally given the keys to drive the whole thing without any interference from other management…just “how can we help.” and hat tip to Matt Quinn, Tristan and team for letting me version it out. They all deserve a big hat tip as well. They give us the tools to build masterpieces.

• Thanks 8

56 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

WWBT is already using Gray One graphics.

I don't think that "Vote 2024" graphic is from Gray One.

If it is from GrayONE, the graphics would use Barlow as the font as that is the font choice for GrayONE. Its possible that the graphic was done in house and was designed so it would match with their existing graphics as well with GrayONE, so it could be used the end of the election cycle.

• Like 1

Appears to be more of a confirmation of GrayOne coming to WSAZ, I've already been told it's coming soon from someone at the station, but it looks like they're switching from "First Warning Weather" that they have had for decades to "First Alert Weather" as seen on their 24/7 weather stream.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 090511.png

14 hours ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

We could be pretty close to WOWT’s GrayONE switch, as because the peacock was removed from the right of the 6 (our pov), the official Wikipedia page for the station has followed suit.WOWT-Wikipedia.png.5f4c77e4d21bfef55c23a287a1a45a89.png

This means nothing... There are several Gray stations that have had the NBC peacock and the CBS eye removed for weeks now...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

This means nothing... There are several Gray stations that have had the NBC peacock and the CBS eye removed for weeks now...

I have been wondering will Gray let NBC affiliates display the Olympic rings? I think it is something to be proud of (being the only free station broadcasting the games), and a missed opportunity.

Okay so we can stop this whole "XXXX" removed the NBC/CBS logo and make this thread longer than it already is, I spent the last 90 minutes going to every Gray owned and/or operated NBC website.  I went to the livestream tab and watched the latest newscast to get the most accurate info.  As you can see by the table I made, 99.5% of the staions have removed the NBC peacock from the station logo and branding.  I can also verify that a good chunk of the CBS stations have also removed the CBS eye from the station logos (no I won't do a table).  Wikipedia and Logopedia are NOT the best source for this info, as I found most of the station pages have NOT been updated to reflect the removals.

I propose from here on out, let's stop posting that station XXXX has removed the peacock or eye from the logo.  Unless the station completely revamps the logo, let's just know that this is now verified that Gray is removing NBC/CBS logos (ABC/FOX are unknown at this time)...

Screenshot 2024-02-06 050913.png

• Like 8

Not sure why they want to remove the network logos from their branding. But I can confirm WBTV has removed the CBS Eye from the Channel 3 logo when they switched to grayOne. But WHNS is still branded FOX Carolina so I suppose the FOX logo will remain there, although they do not appear to have yet converted to grayOne. I receive both these stations with an antenna, so I can visibly confirm these graphics. Here in Spartanburg, WBTV Charlotte comes in strong just like a local channel which I can receive with an indoor antenna, while official CBS affiliate WSPA can be more of a challenge due to VHF. And WHNS comes in good, so 2 strong Gray stations here, although WJZY from Charlotte is also a strong signal, despite Nexstar downplaying the FOX affiliation. So it seems network branding and promotion may vary by market, despite the group package in some cases.

Edited by tylerSC

On 2/5/2024 at 10:15 PM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

As you can see by the table I made, 99.5% of the staions have removed the NBC peacock from the station logo and branding.

I'm guessing WLTZ is the .5% of that minority still using the Peacock because of the SSA?

Edited by T.L. Hughes

On 2/5/2024 at 8:15 PM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Okay so we can stop this whole "XXXX" removed the NBC/CBS logo and make this thread longer than it already is, I spent the last 90 minutes going to every Gray owned and/or operated NBC website.  I went to the livestream tab and watched the latest newscast to get the most accurate info.  As you can see by the table I made, 99.5% of the staions have removed the NBC peacock from the station logo and branding.  I can also verify that a good chunk of the CBS stations have also removed the CBS eye from the station logos (no I won't do a table).  Wikipedia and Logopedia are NOT the best source for this info, as I found most of the station pages have NOT been updated to reflect the removals.

I propose from here on out, let's stop posting that station XXXX has removed the peacock or eye from the logo.  Unless the station completely revamps the logo, let's just know that this is now verified that Gray is removing NBC/CBS logos (ABC/FOX are unknown at this time)...

I agree. Moderators? Wasn’t this agreed upon weeks ago or something pinned to the top about stop announcing every station? Correct me if I am wrong. We all know about the network logos being removed so we shouldn’t keep posting about them. 

13 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Looks like a Raycom graphics throwback.

WAFF did the same for the few months prior the their switch to GrayONE in early December.

6 hours ago, evv_mlis said:

It's like their folks are just having fun with their old system before the switch maybe.

That doesn't not make sense....

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, LOWERCASE GUY said:

image.thumb.jpeg.2b76e9c2155005bb9d1d93e81c301cfe.jpegLooks like WAVE is next on the list!

WAVE is launching GrayONE an hour from now at 11/10c. They've been running promos teasing of it over the last week(s).

As an aside, can we change the name of this thread to "The GrayONE-ification Thread" or something similar?

Edited by TennTV1983
  • Like 5