The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

On 1/11/2024 at 11:53 AM, mightynine said:

EDIT 1/16/24: WAFB has moved to GrayONE as of Noon on 1/16/24.

Put WAFB/Baton Rouge on the clock for GreyONE - this new logo just popped up on their website:

image.png.4db411c16e375880e8baea050690958f.png

image.thumb.png.1fa7379be1723a0bd1a65518b5d12b7a.png

Previous logo, in place for decades with the CBS eye logo added along the way:

No photo description available.

Along with the logo and graphics change, the longtime "Louisiana's News Channel" slogan also appears to have been deprioritized (it appears in fine print in the open, suggesting it may still be used in some capacity, but less prominently) in favor of "Your #1 Local News Station".

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Along with the logo and graphics change, the longtime "Louisiana's News Channel" slogan also appears to have been dumped in favor of "Your #1 Local News Station".

They clearly did not know how to correctly execute the new ticker, they need to change the font color, or at least a translucent background, like all the others have done.

12 hours ago, HSV cheesehead said:

They clearly did not know how to correctly execute the new ticker, they need to change the font color, or at least a translucent background, like all the others have done.

That was fixed quickly during the broadcast, with the translucent background added.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

They are the first to use Warner Chappell music with the package too.. This was a very well deserved upgrade for KWQC

They are using Gari, not Warner Chappell Production Music.

16 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

They are the first to use Warner Chappell music with the package too.. This was a very well deserved upgrade for KWQC

They have been using "Hello News" since the beginning of November, as part of their 75th anniversary year long celebration.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mightynine said:

I’m surprised at how well Hello News works with a modern graphics package. It’s a little clunky with the First Alert Weather sting, but the open fit well. 

What’s clunky about it? 
Agreed. It proves my point that any music can work as long as the voiceover and cadence of the open match.

Here are a couple of montages of the morning and evening opens:

They employ cuts from at least three of the "Hello News" series, with Series 3 appearing to be the lone one left out. Most newscasts use the Series 1 primary open (the cut used during KWQC's first "Hello" tenure) for the intro, except for the 10:00 show, which uses the Series 2 topical instead.

Bumpers, teases and topicals mainly use what may be the Series 4 cuts (I couldn't find the cut used in the topicals in the montages in the Series 4 cuts available on News Music Now, so I'm not entirely sure that it's from that track list or a previously unreleased cut).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

1 hour ago, cxd7346 said:

What’s clunky about it? 

I don't think the sting and the graphic line up well. Something with a little more urgency/tempo would work better (IMO), especially coming out of the open which has a little more energy to the music.

1 minute ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Are there any Gray stations that do not have the "First Alert" branding at all, in markets where none of their competitors had it first? (So throw out, say, Kansas City).

KXII in Sherman. KTEN used to use First Alert but dropped to be known as KTEN Weather. KXII uses Weather Authority.

2 hours ago, mightynine said:

I don't think the sting and the graphic line up well. Something with a little more urgency/tempo would work better (IMO), especially coming out of the open which has a little more energy to the music.

The reason I went with this cut is it was the cut we used in the 00s for First Alert weather. It has an urgency that I like. I tried other cuts from the updates when putting this together and preferred the cut from Disk 3.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cxd7346 said:

The reason I went with this cut is it was the cut we used in the 00s for First Alert weather. It has an urgency that I like. I tried other cuts from the updates when putting this together and preferred the cut from Disk 3.

Cool!

1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Are there any Gray stations that do not have the "First Alert" branding at all, in markets where none of their competitors had it first? (So throw out, say, Kansas City).

KVVU. Not sure about the history of competitors' branding in Las Vegas, but no station in the market currently uses "First Alert." KVVU has a First Alert Calendar but brands their weather overall as Local Las Vegas Weather.

WFIE must be getting closer to switching to GrayOne. They tweaked their bug at right to swap between 3 things (main logo, app, and website) and made sure to remove the peacock from everything, and now they've added a SECOND bug during live shots so now it's on the left and right sides of the screen. And this is a different style chyron than they typically use, but same font. 🤔

22Jan2024.jpg