The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

On 12/23/2023 at 8:57 AM, who?cares said:

They've used a production cut for pre-recorded headlines for a while (I was there in the mid and late 2010's).

They were using it when I was there.

The previous news director thought Inergy wasn't urgent enough, so they added The Rock.

Apparently, they've added the production track to it. 

It sounds like they've taken that cut and put it into their music computer.

It was literally a computer they opened the track on and played through VLC or Windows Media Player.

I didn't realize WAFF was using the third  music cut until August, or did the just start using it again?

On 12/23/2023 at 10:31 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

And it's used at KKTV as well. So, This is the Place is used across the whole state. Also it will soon be the package KDVR has used the longest. Lastly, KCNC and KUSA are the only stations in Colorado not using a Stephen Arnold Music package.

Well, no question there.

KCNC = owned by CBS

KUSA = owned by Tegna

WVIR finally switched to 29 News and said goodbye to their long-time use of Gari’s “NBC Collection” package, replacing it with “Aerial”. They use the same exact cut of “Aerial” for EVERY NEWSCAST. Somehow no switching to GrayONE yet again. WVIR also changed voiceovers from that unknown male to Sean King. WVIR uses a mix of voices from SpotVoice.com for its promos, and so it was inevitable that WVIR was gonna use someone from that roster when it was time to update the opens.

• Angry 1

...and NBC has an agreement with Gray "in principle" to renew all of their stations' affiliations.  The current agreement expires at the end of this year.

https://tvnewscheck.com/business/article/gray-television-renews-all-its-nbc-affiliations/

Despite what people have been saying, I really think this was all a scare tactic by Gray to force a renewal, or to be ready for NBC to pull up stakes if a deal wasn't made.

Now how long before the peacock starts showing up again on all of these stations?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

...and NBC has an agreement with Gray "in principle" to renew all of their stations' affiliations.  The current agreement expires at the end of this year.

https://tvnewscheck.com/business/article/gray-television-renews-all-its-nbc-affiliations/

Despite what people have been saying, I really think this was all a scare tactic by Gray to force a renewal, or to be ready for NBC to pull up stakes if a deal wasn't made.

Now how long before the peacock starts showing up again on all of these stations?

I’m not an expert on affiliation renewals or the processes involved with them, but I really don’t think logo removals are an indicator of much. I feel like if 81 stations were suddenly going to change affiliation, we’d know about it by now.

If I had to guess, perhaps Gray wants to push local branding to distinguish local stations from the networks. Keep in mind that many of Gray’s CBS affiliates have also dropped the network logo, and former O&O WTVG has dropped their network logo as well. Unless proven otherwise, I don’t really think there are any immediate implications surrounding those branding changes.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 5
  • Thought-Provoking 2

50 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’m not an expert on affiliation renewals or the processes involved with them, but I really don’t think logo removals are an indicator of much. I feel like if 81 stations were suddenly going to change affiliation, we’d know about it by now.

If I had to guess, perhaps Gray wants to push local branding to distinguish local stations from the networks. Keep in mind that many of Gray’s CBS affiliates have also dropped the network logo, and former O&O WTVG has dropped their network logo as well. Unless proven otherwise, I don’t really think there are any immediate implications surrounding those branding changes.

This has more to do with the latter and with the direction that studios are viewing the streaming landscape.

Gray likely saw what happened to Nexstar when they caved in to CBS in their last deal, so they didn't take any chances should NBC have pulled their affiliation from a station or two, or 53.

We're probably at the point where existing piecemeal deals are about to be all entire group deals that line up to the point that affiliation switches could be done much easier.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/16/2023 at 5:45 PM, HSV cheesehead said:

On the opposite side of the spectrum their is WVUE in New Orleans, where the O in the FOX logo seems to be adjusted for local branding:

image.png.a8dd4eb936e2f8b0e0d530dbb13a209b.png

(how did FOX even let them do that in the first place)

I am sure someone told the FOX folks about the fleur-de-lis' connection to Louisiana.

11 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

And I should mention that WNEM is using the GrayONE version of the First Alert Weather intro to the weather segment.. I'm thinking within the next week or so they'll switch over...

They'll probably switch in the new year. 

Additionally I think we'll see alot of stations getting GrayONEonce fresh content enters the primetime schedule. (Late January into February with the super bowl (CBS Affiliates))

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I'd be very, very surprised to see if Gray drops the "Fox" branding from their stations.  I don't think Fox would stand for it, and the way that most Fox stations are branded, anything else would be very disorienting to a lot of viewers.

I guess it depends on the station. IMO it would work at a station like WBRC, but not a station like KVVU.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I guess it depends on the station. IMO it would work at a station like WBRC, but not a station like KVVU.

I think Portland is a market where the FOX branding (at least on newscasts) is something of a liability, so I'd imagine KPTV would either go back to their UPN-era "Oregon's 12" branding or even "KPTV 12" (the branding they had as an indie, pre-UPN.)

Then again, I don't know what KPDX will brand as, since right now, they're "FOX 12 Plus".

Edited by Casey Buck
  • Like 4

On 12/30/2023 at 6:37 PM, Casey Buck said:

I think Portland is a market where the FOX branding (at least on newscasts) is something of a liability, so I'd imagine KPTV would either go back to their UPN-era "Oregon's 12" branding or even "KPTV 12" (the branding they had as an indie, pre-UPN.)

Then again, I don't know what KPDX will brand as, since right now, they're "FOX 12 Plus".

FOX 12 Oregon I'm pretty sure would keep their branding with FOX if they could. They do not see it as a liability. Yes, people repulsed by FOX probably don't watch just due to the name, but the local content is not skewed conservative, though they do run FOX News packages to fill time. FOX 12 gets high ratings as-is, so I think they are content with their audience.

As for the logistics of changing their branding, it would be a big change to drop FOX. Like you said they could go back to the old branding of Oregon's 12, which I like but I'm not sure if it sounds fresh and modern or old timey. I'm also not sure if any instance of using their call letters as branding would be on the table. The only time they mention them is referring to their website, KPTV.com. I think it would be too clunky in opens and whatnot along with their slogan (First. Live. Local.)  and show titles. Then again, I thought it was clunky when KGW dropped NewsChannel 8 from their branding and just went with KGW News, but I got used to it, but it works for them as they have no slogan or separate show names.....just KGW News at 5, etc, etc.

The duopoly station (KPDX) currently is FOX 12 Plus, but was previously branded as PDX TV which they could go back to. Maybe use some form of that on KPTV???

• Like 3
  • Thought-Provoking 1

4 hours ago, PTVNews said:

The duopoly station (KPDX) currently is FOX 12 Plus, but was previously branded as PDX TV which they could go back to. Maybe use some form of that on KPTV???

Are you suggesting a KCAL vs. KCBS type situation here? If you are, I like it!

KTUU had dropped Tower for Icon News. Honestly, they should have been dropped when they took over CBS. Tower on CBS station is just weird.

Edited by LTSC1980

2 hours ago, ScottSchell said:

KOLD has the GrayOne graphics and went with red.

That seems like a missed opportunity with branding, if they went with blue, it would go perfectly with their call sign, as 99% of people associate cold (KOLD) with the color blue.

Also, finally a station west of the Rockies makes the switch. (although there aren't that many in that direction anyways)

Edited by HSV cheesehead

EDIT 1/16/24: WAFB has moved to GrayONE as of Noon on 1/16/24.

Put WAFB/Baton Rouge on the clock for GreyONE - this new logo just popped up on their website:

image.png.4db411c16e375880e8baea050690958f.png

image.thumb.png.1fa7379be1723a0bd1a65518b5d12b7a.png

Previous logo, in place for decades with the CBS eye logo added along the way:

No photo description available.

Edited by mightynine
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 1/11/2024 at 11:53 AM, mightynine said:

Put WAFB/Baton Rouge on the clock for GreyONE - this new logo just popped up on their website:

image.png.4db411c16e375880e8baea050690958f.png

image.thumb.png.1fa7379be1723a0bd1a65518b5d12b7a.png

Previous logo, in place for decades with the CBS eye logo added along the way:

No photo description available.

And here they are with those new graphics (screenshot from re-airing of noon news on its web site):

Screenshot_20240116_123352_Chrome.png