The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

Removing the networks also makes it easier to brand a station that has multiple affiliations within its envelope too.

1 hour ago, HSV cheesehead said:

Its entirely possible that there's now two version of GrayONE, with version A being what we have seen with WAFF, KMOV, WCSC, etc and version B being what we are seeing on KNOP and KNSB. Other than the ticker and font there certainly are similarities between the two. Its possible there test alternative packages in smaller markets.

Additionally, this could be an alternative to be primarily used by ABC affiliates, but optional for others.

I'd think also those stations would be near the bottom of the priority order for GrayOne being some of their smallest markets. Perhaps once KOLN/KGIN changes over, they will do it en masse for the Nebraska stations.

The alternate graphics in question are just a reskin of an already existing pre-GreyOne template, so maybe there's a technical issue unique to those stations (i.e., incompatible equipment with GreyOne) and this is a band-aid until Grey decides to pony up the cash to fix it.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, mightynine said:

The alternate graphics in question are just a reskin of an already existing pre-GreyOne template, so maybe there's a technical issue unique to those stations (i.e., incompatible equipment with GreyOne) and this is a band-aid until Grey decides to pony up the cash to fix it.

So, what graphics system does GrayONE run on (presuming it wasn't developed to be compatible with other systems) and what system does KSNB and KNOP run their graphics on?

1 hour ago, T.L. Hughes said:

So, what graphics system does GrayONE run on (presuming it wasn't developed to be compatible with other systems) and what system does KSNB and KNOP run their graphics on?

GrayONE, from what I've understood, was being developed for usage on systems running on either Chyron or VizRT.

6 hours ago, HSV cheesehead said:

Its entirely possible that there's now two version of GrayONE, with version A being what we have seen with WAFF, KMOV, WCSC, etc and version B being what we are seeing on KNOP and KNSB. Other than the ticker and font there certainly are similarities between the two. Its possible there test alternative packages in smaller markets.

Additionally, this could be an alternative to be primarily used by ABC affiliates, but optional for others.

4 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Removing the networks also makes it easier to brand a station that has multiple affiliations within its envelope too.

I'd think also those stations would be near the bottom of the priority order for GrayOne being some of their smallest markets. Perhaps once KOLN/KGIN changes over, they will do it en masse for the Nebraska stations.

Can't believe I didn't think about this before, but perhaps their software has yet to be updated so they changed the graphics to something that was similar so it is less stark of a change when they do get GrayONE.

9 hours ago, HSV cheesehead said:

Or perhaps two versions where Gray has 2 separate stations with separate news departments and identities (e.g,, KÖLN/KGIN and KSNB/KNOP).

Just a thought (and apologies if I’ve missed  this concept in an earlier post).

Jim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

No ex-Hoak stations currently use GrayONE, so that could be an issue.

Yesterday at 5pm, KTTC made a music switch from “The Rock” to “This is The Place”, which seems to be the new standard for Gray stations.

Edit just minutes after I posted this: WNDU has changed to GrayONE, also changing their music from “Aerial” to “Inergy”, both from Stephen Arnold Music.

Edited by CoopInTheHouse

Here's WNDU in action:

4 hours ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Yesterday at 5pm, KTTC made a music switch from “The Rock” to “This is The Place”, which seems to be the new standard for Gray stations.

Edit just minutes after I posted this: WNDU has changed to GrayONE, also changing their music from “Aerial” to “Inergy”, both from Stephen Arnold Music.

8 hours ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Actually the music is the other way around... Inergy to Aerial

1 hour ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Yes. 

May be a graphic of text that says 'Chimes Removal Initiative Station DMA Rank Market WSMV Nashville, News Package True News WWBT Compliant? Station gray Richmond, WOWT DMA Rank Market Unite News Package Bismarck, KTIV Columbia,SC This Ascend Velocity Compliant? Place This WVVA Place Beach Unite Aerial Guardian Y Place Aerial WHSV KSNB Guardian 115 This Sioux SD Alexandria,LA Place Icon Y Place KGNS Inergy EauCa Icon Inergy NBC BC Canvas co Signature Cheyenne, KNOP Kirksville, Fairbanks, Platte, NE 65% Compliant 35% Non-compliant Day 12/21/23 News Music Now'

That brings me to this:

As many of you know WAFF has been using two different packages; The Rock & Inergy. You can now add a third to that list, its either production music or a cut of Stream (please correct me if i am wrong, this has been driving me crazy for months). My evidence is below

WSAZ has switched to a new music package as of today's newscasts, switching from "The Rock".. I'm not overly familiar with package names, I'm sure someone else will recognize it. https://www.vuit.com/publishers/348/wsaz#vod:23053427 

They are also prepping for the launch of GrayOne soon from what I've heard but haven't released a timeline as of yet. 

22 minutes ago, Dakota Laughlin said:

WSAZ has switched to a new music package as of today's newscasts, switching from "The Rock".. I'm not overly familiar with package names, I'm sure someone else will recognize it. https://www.vuit.com/publishers/348/wsaz#vod:23053427 

They are also prepping for the launch of GrayOne soon from what I've heard but haven't released a timeline as of yet. 

After further research it seems to be "Ascend" Stephen Arnold Music

It seems that WECT is transitioning to newer cuts of their current music package, Inergy. During the beginning of the 5 o’clock news yesterday, they used the WJXT theme cut in (didn’t capture that recording since it was at 4:59 PM). See below for YouTube reference. Upon watching the 6 o’clock news, it seems that they are using a new closing theme that also sounds like Inergy (would someone confirm please)? Never heard them used this cut before. 

My speculation is that WECT is keeping Inergy but will only use the non-NBC cuts of the package. I hope this is true 🤞🏼 hopefully they also get GrayONE soon as well in time for their 70th anniversary 

WJXT reference: 

Edited by NCbroadcastgeek
Edit wording

20 hours ago, HSV cheesehead said:

That brings me to this:

As many of you know WAFF has been using two different packages; The Rock & Inergy. You can now add a third to that list, its either production music or a cut of Stream (please correct me if i am wrong, this has been driving me crazy for months). My evidence is below

They've used a production cut for pre-recorded headlines for a while (I was there in the mid and late 2010's).

They were using it when I was there.

The previous news director thought Inergy wasn't urgent enough, so they added The Rock.

Apparently, they've added the production track to it. 

It sounds like they've taken that cut and put it into their music computer.

It was literally a computer they opened the track on and played through VLC or Windows Media Player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

According to newsmusicsearcharchive.com, you can add KKCO and KJCT to the “This is The Place” naughty use or nice use of theme list now.

This also means "This is the Place" is running on three Western Slope stations if KFQX is still simulcasting some KDVR newscasts. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I hate to be the grinch, but the change in music doesn't belong in this part of the forums.. Can  a mod please bring these posts to the music part??

It's tangentially related. So much of the music changes and debranding efforts are coinciding with the graphics rollout. It won't last forever, and we'll get back to the graphics in no time.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Recovering Producer said:

This also means "This is the Place" is running on three Western Slope stations if KFQX is still simulcasting some KDVR newscasts. 

And it's used at KKTV as well. So, This is the Place is used across the whole state. Also it will soon be the package KDVR has used the longest. Lastly, KCNC and KUSA are the only stations in Colorado not using a Stephen Arnold Music package.