The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

30 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Then the question is what do the ratings look like? If WMTV is #1 (And I'm pretty sure it's between them and WISC?) then "If it broken, don't fix it" might apply. 

That said, WISC did blow up their graphics and branding a few years back...

I believe they run really close to each other. WISC I believe wins by a hair. WISC finally did get a new set 2 or so years ago and it was very much needed. Their graphics package I think was a small step back , but back to WMTV...I'll have to watch to see how they do their opens since NBC15 is embedded in their website, intros etc. 

2 hours ago, HSV cheesehead said:

How old is WMTV's current package? (photos attached for reference)

WMTV3.thumb.jpg.ea824545d9ad796e2fbd22a3126afe14.jpgWMTV2L3.thumb.jpg.77eeb2d13635ae04f9898563f9e31913.jpgWMTV1.thumb.jpg.53154c8f25be513d8291adeec8973993.jpg

They had a small graphics refresh in 2016 when they moved into their new studio. But i know the music for their intros, teases, etc are even older than this. Logo wise, they have had the same since the early 2000's. 

Edited by Axiom81

22 minutes ago, Axiom81 said:

They had a small graphics refresh in 2016 when they moved into their new studio. But i know the music for their intros, teases, etc are even older than this. Logo wise, they have had the same since the early 2000's. 

So... Old enough to know better, young enough to still get carded at the bar.

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

So... Old enough to know better, young enough to still get carded at the bar.

Pretty much even after a move to a new building and with WSAW, WEAU and WBAY all getting refreshes, they've still kept pretty much the same package for over a decade. It feels like going back in time when a sister station shows video/packages from them. And their logo imaging has been glued completely to NBC's since the trapezoid N era in 1976, nearly 50 years, so I don't understand the loyalty to keeping the appendage coming off the circle-15; just get rid of it or get a new logo.

I have been off my game visiting Huntsville for work:

• Missed this one today
  • Missed WAAY’s most recent graphics change (while visiting)
  • Missed WZDX’s TEGNA-fication by a day
  • Missed WHNT’s Nexstar-ization by a week.

all of which were without my capture equipment…

• Empathetic 1

KYTV ("KY3") in Springfield, Mo. has not prominently featured the peacock since it introduced its current logo when it went HD years ago. However, in 2016 or '17, the station started using the peacock in its bug during newscasts. I just noticed tonight that the peacock is no longer part of the bug. I don't watch regularly, so I'm not sure when the change occurred. Incidentally, KY3 is still using the graphics that were commissioned by Schurz in 2015, right before the station was sold to Gray.

Edited by SteveKendall

1 hour ago, SteveKendall said:

KYTV ("KY3") in Springfield, Mo. has not prominently featured the peacock since it introduced its current logo when it went HD years ago. However, in 2016 or '17, the station started using the peacock in its bug during newscasts. I just noticed tonight that the peacock is no longer part of the bug. I don't watch regularly, so I'm not sure when the change occurred. Incidentally, KY3 is still using the graphics that were commissioned by Schurz in 2015, right before the station was sold to Gray.

If that is the case, KYTV is certainly overdue for a change and GrayOne is coming at the right time.

Just checked KBJR- post “Northern News Now” inception, the “N” rotated with the peacock or cbs eye, depending which channel was airing the show. Network logos have been replaced with an impressive, yet unnecessary, animated Gray TV logo, the “N”/Tree logo remains with festive Christmas lights added for the season, and a QR code I’d assume gets you to download their app. They’re still using their Quincy graphics. 

As for the gray logo… does any regular viewer (read: none of us) know or care what Gray is?

IMG_4127.jpeg

IMG_4128.jpeg

IMG_4129.jpeg

IMG_4130.jpeg

14 hours ago, compubit said:

I have been off my game visiting Huntsville for work:

• Missed this one today
  • Missed WAAY’s most recent graphics change (while visiting)
  • Missed WZDX’s TEGNA-fication by a day
  • Missed WHNT’s Nexstar-ization by a week.

all of which were without my capture equipment…

My semester at UAH ended on Friday, and drove to Atlanta for the holidays on Sunday, and then they made the switch on Monday! I feel your pain.

I had been anticipating this switch since mid-October, so had been checking regularly when not in town.

Once again, I feel your pain.

“Brought to you by Jack’s”? That should be used for only FORECASTS. Whether or not they screwed up sponsorship, it’s a good improvement for the station, even since they were using that sometimes-low-budget Gray graphics sliding thing that looks like your news budget is $2,500.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

“Brought to you by Jack’s”? That should be used for only FORECASTS. Whether or not they screwed up sponsorship, it’s a good improvement for the station, even since they were using that sometimes-low-budget Gray graphics sliding thing that looks like your news budget is $2,500.

A bit ironic that the story at :44 is about a robbery at…Jacks.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

A bit ironic that the story at :44 is about a robbery at…Jacks.

That reminds me of something on WBAY a couple years ago where there was an ad for a home medical provider showing their building and ten seconds later coming out of that break...

'Breaking news from Allouez, where a car has driven into a building'...and they cut to that same home medical building, now with a car halfway through its front window (thankfully nobody hurt there). Gotta love it when the sponsor somehow gets 'lucky' with another mention without the ad department getting involved.

• Haha 8

Breaking news! Binghamton’s WBNG has officially launched GrayONE. And this one was way needed. A small market like that really deserves recognition. You can watch the official confirming video on (what else?) Studio 31 Media Archive on YouTube.

Edited by CoopInTheHouse
Wrong YouTube channel..
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Breaking news! Binghamton’s WBNG has officially launched GrayONE. And this one was way needed. A small market like that really deserves recognition. You can watch the official confirming video on (what else?) Studio 31 Media Archive on YouTube.

Much needed upgrade from that other graphics package.  A major upgrade.  Well done! 

-- Matt

14 hours ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

This looks nice for an ex-Quincy station.  I do notice they need to do some changes with the weather branding in-studio.. They switched to the First Alert Weather moniker, but still have Storm Track 12 in-studio... I'm sure that will change in due time.

On 12/9/2023 at 1:52 AM, Wisco TV Watcher said:

they are now branding themselves as "WMTV" and "15 News," instead of "NBC15."

Website has been changed from NBC15.com to wmtv15news.com. Defiantly rolls off the tongue! 

In other news, the de-peackockization appears to be complete at Gray after clicking around a bit this morning

• Sad 2