The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

5 minutes ago, HSV cheesehead said:

Has there been any pattern (geographic, prior ownership) to which stations are getting the new graphics? Also, is the Meredith package an option for stations as well?

The old Meredith package is being phased out, just like the previous Gray packages are. It seems whenever a station is ready, they are going with GrayOne. I'm guessing smaller stations are lower priority, but some REALLY could use a new package.

36 minutes ago, HSV cheesehead said:

Has there been any pattern (geographic, prior ownership) to which stations are getting the new graphics? Also, is the Meredith package an option for stations as well?

GrayOne is the package going forward. No options. All stations will eventually use it.

21 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

It’s a trend with all Gray stations.

WTVG in Toledo switched from “13abc Action News” to just “13 Action News” (and no ABC logo).

WNEM in Flint/Saginaw/Bay City also recently removed the CBS eye mark from its logo.

But I’ll stop there because I don’t want this to be a list…

I can't see how stations like FOX8 in New Orleans will ever do this.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mightynine said:

Easy, they change to “WVUE 8” or “News 8” or something along those lines. 

I see "Local 8" as a natural transition there with "Local First" as their slogan, and since they already have one "Live Five", it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to see KVVU become that too. And I don't understand why dumping network branding is a bad thing at all.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I see "Local 8" as a natural transition there with "Local First" as their slogan, and since they already have one "Live Five", it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to see KVVU become that too. And I don't understand why dumping network branding is a bad thing at all.

I'm guessing there will still be a Mardi Gras theme in the colors once WVUE goes to GrayOne.

18 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

The old Meredith package is being phased out, just like the previous Gray packages are. It seems whenever a station is ready, they are going with GrayOne. I'm guessing smaller stations are lower priority, but some REALLY could use a new package.

There's no need for the old Meredith package.. GrayOne has elements of it in there... 

10 hours ago, HSV cheesehead said:

This talk about WVUE got me curious, so I watched a newscast on their VUit page to see for myself and came across this. They haven't switched to grayone yet, but they have a different ticker that looks to be a mashup of both new and old.

image.thumb.png.ccef0b852ae89fb3a85a931c4d84d4a2.png

They switched to that ticker within days of debuting their then-new graphics. 

On 12/5/2023 at 1:05 PM, T.L. Hughes said:

WSFA may be the next to switch to GrayOne. A user on Logopedia uploaded what appears to be an updated version of their logo:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.thumb.png.188bd7722bc968e8a1d691ca790421fb.png

I can confirm that WSFA 12 is going to be one of the next stations. I talk to someone who works there and they are almost ready for the new Gray TV graphics flip. And yep...removing the peacock from the logo.

On 12/4/2023 at 6:14 PM, TennTV1983 said:

WSMV did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and most recently changed their weather logo as well - removing the NBC peacock from their branding.

On 12/4/2023 at 7:12 PM, ttvn2000 said:

It’s a trend with all Gray stations.

I wonder if this means that NBC affiliates will not display the Olympic Rings in their logos next year.

The WMTV logo got "de-peacocked" and it looks ridiculous. They should just drop that swoosh element if they're not going to fill the space with anything. Better yet, they should reimagine the logo entirely when they get the new graphics package (which will hopefully come sooner, rather than later, because they have the most dated looking package in the Madison market.)

Based on a few recent social media posts, they are now branding themselves as "WMTV" and "15 News," instead of "NBC15."

FB_IMG_1702107928816.jpg

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, noggi said:

The viewers in St. Louis have spoken… they hate the new brand. 🤣

https://fb.watch/oQ4xwXcG2n/?

The same viewers really want Larry Conners and Vic Faust to be their new anchor team and the entire newscast to be a rant about being cancelled and for the good ol' (aka pre-integration) days to come back. St. Louis is truly a market two decades behind the rest of the industry, and if it was up to those viewers KTVI would still be ABC and the Gridbirds and Cardinals would still be playing on Astroturf at Busch II. 

At least Gray is trying something else and modernizing things, while you have KTVI and KSDK still trying to learn what a JPG is and that you can modernize your logo. 

14 hours ago, Wisco TV Watcher said:

Based on a few recent social media posts, they are now branding themselves as "WMTV" and "15 News," instead of "NBC15."

This one though...they've been lockstep with NBC for 40 years as far as branding.  There are better ways to get out of the network branding rut, and blanding it doesn't work here. This isn't WBAY, where the network brand has always been secondary to TV-2/Action 2 News. 

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

The same viewers really want Larry Conners and Vic Faust to be their new anchor team and the entire newscast to be a rant about being cancelled and for the good ol' (aka pre-integration) days to come back. St. Louis is truly a market two decades behind the rest of the industry, and if it was up to those viewers KTVI would still be ABC and the Gridbirds and Cardinals would still be playing on Astroturf at Busch II. 

At least Gray is trying something else and modernizing things, while you have KTVI and KSDK still trying to learn what a JPG is and that you can modernize your logo. 

This one though...they've been lockstep with NBC for 40 years as far as branding.  There are better ways to get out of the network branding rut, and blanding it doesn't work here. This isn't WBAY, where the network brand has always been secondary to TV-2/Action 2 News. 

You're confusing the viewers commenting on that video with the members on this site.

What is it exactly that you think they are trying that is modern? Your next sentence talks about "modernizing their logo" but they literally copied a logo that was used in Miami in the 80s. 

• Like 1

Not all of us are on Logopedia 24/7 (that would be hell in itself) or would know it's repurposed at all; it's the same as the old KMOV logo with a bit taken out on the right, and it's obvious from their last iteration of the logo that Meredith/Gray already knew they had to modernize it, because Belo certainly wasn't doing it. The average viewer couldn't name the CBS station in Miami or would know, or care, about how they looked circa 1997, and those who comment on Facebook tend to be old, traditional, and fearful of even the slightest change. That's why all but the most traditional businesses never depend on Facebook comments alone on how to do business.

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

I completely agree. I don't think the "WMTV" brand is strong enough to stand on its own (I'm not even sure that a majority of Madison TV viewers are aware that channel 15 is WMTV, much less call them by that). It's a very different situation than WKOW, for instance, which has used their call letters in their branding for as long as I can remember and has a lot of built-in equity in their local brand.

Gray's decision to drop network branding unilaterally, regardless of market conditions, has left me scratching my head. Not to discredit the hard-working staff at WMTV, but I just don't think that their brand can hold its own against NBC in the Madison market.

• Like 3

This de-affiliation trend of their logos is going to be interesting if it ever reaches the fox affiliates.  Especially stations like WALA and WVUE who have branded as "Fox 10 and "Fox 8" for almost a generation.  However, this could come in handy in Mobile, especially if they decide to snag NBC away from WPMI after next year and put it on 10.2.

It also unifies the branding in markets like Biloxi and Hattiesburg, these are both markets that have dual affiliations but run the same newscast in many time slots.  WLOX and WDAM largely refer to themselves by their call letters.

• Like 4

WFIE started phasing out the peacock earlier this year. They just recently updated the bug in the lower right (also coinciding with their 70th anniversary) and just noticed it disappeared from the First Alert logos during weather this week.

I've also heard "14 WFIE" on things rather than just "14 News" a few times recently. They went by 14 WFIE from around 2000 until 2009 or 2010 when they phased out Newswatch for 14 News. 

Now if only they can get over to GrayOne and away from their mix of the honeycomb graphics and the different weather graphics. 

On 12/9/2023 at 1:52 AM, Wisco TV Watcher said:

The WMTV logo got "de-peacocked" and it looks ridiculous. They should just drop that swoosh element if they're not going to fill the space with anything. Better yet, they should reimagine the logo entirely when they get the new graphics package (which will hopefully come sooner, rather than later, because they have the most dated looking package in the Madison market.)

FB_IMG_1702107928816.jpg

This is a surprise ! I live in the Madison market and EVERYTHING they do is always "NBC 15 News". I agree though with the statements above, they haven't had any graphic refreshes in years! (WKOW still has the worst graphics IMO) ...but yeah this logo needs a HUGE refresh.  I keep thinking with each sweep period coming, they will switch, but years keep coming and going and they still have the same package..same music..same blah...they def need a complete overhaul of music, graphics, logo..EVERYTHING lol . 

Edited by Axiom81

16 minutes ago, Axiom81 said:

I keep thinking with each sweep period coming, they will switch, but years keep coming and going and they still have the same package..same music..same blah...they def need a complete overhaul of music, graphics, logo..EVERYTHING lol . 

Then the question is what do the ratings look like? If WMTV is #1 (And I'm pretty sure it's between them and WISC?) then "If it broken, don't fix it" might apply. 

That said, WISC did blow up their graphics and branding a few years back...

• Like 3