The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

10 hours ago, Denver Murray said:

WIS-TV Columbia looks REALLY good.  While I like NBC 12 WWBT Richmond, I am kind of disappointed with all the red.  I mean, that's something that Cleveland 19 News would do.  The blue colors in the background with WIS with the red in their logo looks fantastic.

image.thumb.png.1df6a1916684d3bb17728bedd52e2e9e.png

And here's the opens, and they're using Guardian. 

Edited by AaronQ

Nothing confirmed for WLBT, but I find it interesting that there’s a revised logo (call letters) on this promo for their new lifestyle show that debuts today at 3pm Central.   Is that a sign of what’s in store?  Hmmm.IMG_7278.thumb.png.6cd2141bf5016c13789fcf23445917b5.png

https://fb.watch/n0oZbT_kgr/?mibextid=v7YzmG

Edited by NWA_TV_guy

3 minutes ago, NWA_TV_guy said:

Nothing confirmed for WLBT, but I find it interesting that there’s a revised logo (call letters) on this promo for their new lifestyle show that debuts today at 3pm Central.   Is that a sign of what’s in store?  Hmmm.IMG_7278.thumb.png.6cd2141bf5016c13789fcf23445917b5.png

https://fb.watch/n0oZbT_kgr/?mibextid=v7YzmG

They actually just launched GrayONE today (newscasts are on VUIt).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CoopInTheHouse said:

Seeing from the video here: Looks like they forgot to play the theme (for a few seconds) during the cold open. Not a good way to use Aerial too, with those NBC chimes in front.

The NBC chimes aren’t really a problem, they were synced OK with the start of the cut… granted, if the timing of each chime was spaced a little bit, it would mesh better. However, the theme wasn’t recut very well; for some reason, they also used that recut in the tease (you can hear it start over from the beginning during the weather tease).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Not the biggest fan of the new WLBT logo.  I have a feeling that many of the Gray stations are going for this "overlapping letters" look.

On the other hand, the new WIS logo looks great and really stands out with the new look.

Regarding the WLBT logo, I noticed the arm of the “3” was shortened to match the weight of the callsign font. Ironically, the revised design otherwise is closer to the original 1985–2009 layout (the version used with the standardized Raycom/Gray packages from 2009 until the GrayONE debut had the middle leg extending slightly closer to the top of the “3”’s open loop).

The WIS logo is decent; the kerning of the call letters could have been spaced a little closer than it is, and the “I” and “S” made a bit thicker, so it fully matches the weight of the “W” (it can be hard to tell if the weights of all three letters match in certain depictions).

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 4

KWQC has yet to switch fully to the new graphics. But earlier this week, their new investigative segment open is definitely GrayONE with a "slightly tweaked" TV-6 logo. The "6" insignia is the same but the italicized "TV" font follows the overlapping letters trend.

pFxc9OW.png

Edited by CircleSeven

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

KWQC has yet to switch fully to the new graphics. But earlier this week, their new investigative segment open is definely GrayONE with a "slightly tweaked" TV-6 logo. The "6" insignia is the same but the italicized "TV" font follows the overlapping letters trend.

pFxc9OW.png

I designed this open. We needed something fresh pretty badly so I whipped this up using some aesthetics from GrayOne.

Without giving away the details, I can tell you a 3 phase relaunch is in motion. Phase I begins October 31st as we begin our 75th year, Phase II will begin in early January with some more really big changes. Then phase III happens middle of next year. And yes, part of this rebrand is launching GrayONE. So, stay tuned for some really exciting changes! 

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

When GrayOne hits WHNS Fox Carolina, I wonder if they're going to tweak the package since WSPA's is pretty much the same thing (font and lower-wise).  They're a legacy Meredith station, so that package may stick around a little longer (and since its the package GrayOne is based off of)

Nexstar hasn't had any great packages in the wings either, the newer one on WDCW, WRIC and WMBB is more of a downgrade.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

On 10/11/2023 at 5:29 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

When GrayOne hits WHNS Fox Carolina, I wonder if they're going to tweak the package since WSPA's is pretty much the same thing (font and lower-wise). 

WTNH in Hartford has the same graphics as WSPA. WFSB has GrayONE.