The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

19 hours ago, Axiom81 said:

Meanwhile, WMTV in Madison still has the older GFX package ...not sure which version this was (is)..but it's been the same for several years now. 

image.png.b8124655d35e8ab140f824b742e9b3de.png

This graphics package is called Depth. Definitely an older one. I believe WCTV in Tallahassee still has the graphics package called Tech Rings.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I concur on the font - it just looks too “chunky” (the only word I could come up with).

The “SIOUXLAND’S NEWSCHANNEL” font is fine, but there are much better general L3/GFX fonts available.  Even going back to the basics (Helvetica/Univers/DIN 1451/Frutiger/Myriad/News Gothic) would look better, IMHO. 

Just for god’s sake, please do not use Arial!

• Like 3

On 6/7/2023 at 4:37 AM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

WLUC in Marquette  upgraded to these just a couple years ago... It's bad enough they can't decide on a temperature for the 7-Day... But heck anything that Gray offers now would be a vast improvement.. Especially since  WJMN and WZMQ have better graphics...

Untitled.png

Seeing as how WLUC is the absolutely dominant station in the area by a longshot, there's little incentive to change.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, compubit said:

I concur on the font - it just looks too “chunky” (the only word I could come up with).

The “SIOUXLAND’S NEWSCHANNEL” font is fine, but there are much better general L3/GFX fonts available.  Even going back to the basics (Helvetica/Univers/DIN 1451/Frutiger/Myriad/News Gothic) would look better, IMHO. 

Just for god’s sake, please do not use Arial!

Aren't Arial and Helvetica basically the same thing?? There's hardly a difference

23 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The GrayOne package looks nice and all, but I still hate the main font.  I thought I read somewhere it was chosen because it was "easy on the eyes?"

And the fact that Nexstar has a package that uses it in many markets....

The font is Barlow. It’s free to use. Makes sense why multiple station groups use it, one less thing to pay to license for 100+ stations…

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, rdtv said:

The font is Barlow. It’s free to use. Makes sense why multiple station groups use it, one less thing to pay to license for 100+ stations…

Yeah, I definitely understand that aspect of it; that’s money better spent on the actual news product. I still can’t say I’m a big fan of Barlow though. There are plenty of free knockoff DIN fonts out there that would’ve looked better IMO. But it’s not the biggest deal in the world relative to everything else.

• Like 1

I was going through YouTube when I saw this..

This is a screenshot of the May 31st, 2023 edition of the 41NBC (WMGT) News at 11 (captured from DWX Media Archive), the night they debuted their new set. If you look at the bottom, you’ll see a GrayONE-resembling graphic, and that could indicate they might switch graphics to GrayONE, along with their station logo (that’s very low-budget).

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 9.27.48 PM.png

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

WFSB has debuted GrayONE.

And a new studio! Two questions ...

Was GrayONE developed from WFSB's prior package? They seem so similar to me (please don't come at me too hard if I'm way off base on their similarities)

Why do some stations prefer the meteorologist in front of monitors rather than the chromakey (WFSB is doing this with their new studio)? Maybe it's me, but as a viewer I find the graphics much easier to see and read off the chromakey, and it often feels unnatural when the meteorologist has to turn fully from the camera and face the screen versus turning 90 degrees to look at a monitor.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, EricTheEnthusiast said:

And a new studio! Two questions ...

Was GrayONE developed from WFSB's prior package? They seem so similar to me (please don't come at me too hard if I'm way off base on their similarities)

Why do some stations prefer the meteorologist in front of monitors rather than the chromakey (WFSB is doing this with their new studio)? Maybe it's me, but as a viewer I find the graphics much easier to see and read off the chromakey, and it often feels unnatural when the meteorologist has to turn fully from the camera and face the screen versus turning 90 degrees to look at a monitor.

When Gray purchased Meredith, they inherited their graphics hub. Matt Quinn was the lead designer. GrayONE is built off the bones of the outgoing Meredith graphics package.

• Like 5

In addition to WFSB’s new set and graphics they’ve also dropped the Early Warning Weather and Pinpoint Traffic branding in favor of First Alert Weather and First Alert Traffic. They seem to be all in, even using the branding for a First Alert Desk from the newsroom for breaking news. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 2:44 PM, WNPM Newswatch said:

In addition to WFSB’s new set and graphics they’ve also dropped the Early Warning Weather and Pinpoint Traffic branding in favor of First Alert Weather and First Alert Traffic. They seem to be all in, even using the branding for a First Alert Desk from the newsroom for breaking news. 

Pretty much all the Meredith stations were rebranded to First Alert