The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

1 hour ago, carolinanews4 said:

I don't understand. DMAs still exist. It is how programming is sold, how broadcast coverage is defined, how ownership within a market is limited, etc. 

The thing with DMAs is that Nielsen has basically stopped publishing rankings every year. The FCC is looking for a replacement metric as of now.

• Like 5

On 9/21/2022 at 7:48 AM, ScottSchell said:

I know this doesn’t really have to do with graphics but KWCH dropped the Eyewitness News branding to become 12News debuting a new logo with a white circle with the 12 in it and a cut off N in news.

7C8228F5-4EC3-4CB2-9E24-745502717500.png

3619E2D0-67A3-4BDE-9DB6-C6BAFB3A7171.png

B72A8AF1-9A32-4CDC-BA21-03E372A80DB6.png

4DDBE44A-A300-45FE-84B5-4CBEA68A6542.png

76202C83-31FD-47A9-A5E7-7D9E99691A43.png

Having been familiar with the Wichita market for decades, it's a pretty refreshing change and modernizes them quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Like the KWCH post, this doesn’t really have to do with graphics (since the station is still using the Quincy package for now), but WPTA brought back the legacy “21 Alive” branding on Monday (October 17) after a six-year run under the “ABC 21” moniker.

The logo introduced with the Quincy package was modified to replace the WPTA calls with the “ALIVE” moniker and to remove the ABC Circle logo.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, CLETVFan said:

I would actually like to see some new graphics for WOIO.  I think they are starting to get a bit stale.  Plus, too much red.

I can confirm new graphics are coming to WOIO. Last I heard was March.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 9:28 AM, Axiom81 said:

I'm hearing that Gray is releasing a new 2023 GFX Package. This is going to start with WCSC with their new set (which also appears to be "New" for the group. 

Hoping it's a Matt Quinn design. This could be a much needed improvement for their legacy and Raycom stations.

• Like 6

WFIE needs some tweaking to the graphics they introduced last year. It seems like someone tries to customize something in-house incorrectly and you wind up seeing the font change from its default to Arial. Maybe they even need a new set or a new building. They have such a small building and the last set upgrade was just putting in a video wall but keeping a lot of what they had (wood grain finishes). 

20 hours ago, Medianext.MX said:

Hoping it's a Matt Quinn design. This could be a much needed improvement for their legacy and Raycom stations.

I'm a big fan of his work! He did an excellent job with KIRO . I think the current issue with the Gray GFX is it feels way to flat. I know flat and clean is/was in..but some depth would help.  If I had to take a guess of when WCSC will launch, I'm gonna guess right after the Super Bowl (even though they are a CBS Affiliate )  

• Like 4

On 1/31/2023 at 10:28 AM, Axiom81 said:

I'm hearing that Gray is releasing a new 2023 GFX Package. This is going to start with WCSC with their new set (which also appears to be "New" for the group. 

I have confirmation of this as well, one of my contacts at a local Gray station said it was the best package ever produced by Gray (I understand that doesn't take much) and will be available to most stations end of summer 2023.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dakota Laughlin said:

I have confirmation of this as well, one of my contacts at a local Gray station said it was the best package ever produced by Gray (I understand that doesn't take much) and will be available to most stations end of summer 2023.

I will also add they described it as being not only a great package for Gray standards but also compared to Nexstar, Sinclair etc in general. So, this is definitely something that's exciting. They also said it would be a complete package with a major overhaul on all the components; lower thirds, sports, weather etc as compared to what we've come to know of Gray graphics packages.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rdtv said:

It’s the same package that WANF has. Eventually all Gray stations will be migrated to it once graphics hardware is upgraded over time.

Interesting, I too heard from my source that they will be doing a hardware upgrade before they switch to the new graphics package. I was assuming this might be an all-new package, although ANF's package is nice too

18 hours ago, Dakota Laughlin said:

Interesting, I too heard from my source that they will be doing a hardware upgrade before they switch to the new graphics package. I was assuming this might be an all-new package, although ANF's package is nice too

I wonder how long it will take to install them in 113 markets (that assumes that Gray doesn't get into any more markets in that timeframe). There are a few stations I believe still with legacy graphics from nearly a decade ago.

• Thought-Provoking 1

On 2/11/2023 at 4:22 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

I wonder how long it will take to install them in 113 markets (that assumes that Gray doesn't get into any more markets in that timeframe). There are a few stations I believe still with legacy graphics from nearly a decade ago.

WMTV is one of those stations that is on the much older Gray graphics. 

Well on this mornings broadcast of 'The Fairbanks Morning News" on Fairbanks AK NBC affiliate KTVF, a new open debuted, though its a werid combo of the old graphics and the new ones. It looks even more bad with the bad quality of the morning broadcast, perhaps it'll look better tonight. Everything else seems to be the same, no new video panel graphic, lower thirds, or anything, but in the intro a new logo showed itself, but the old logo is still around for everything else, maybe more will come.

Edited by ATLNewsExpert

WCSC went live with what I am now calling the "WANF" set design, but no new graphics came with it. Possible delay in that piece...so no updates on the GFX portion. Sorry to disappoint but I was just as excited as everyone else was.

Edited by Axiom81
  • Like 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1