The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

On 8/15/2022 at 2:47 PM, T.L. Hughes said:

KOLN/KGIN, KSNB and KNOP have all debuted new graphics. In the cases of KSNB and KNOP, both have switched to different flat variants of the “honeycomb” package.

KOLN/KGIN:

KSNB (note that the bottom-of-screen ID has KSNB’s city of license, York, listed where its callsign is supposed to be):

KNOP:

Old MG graphics mixed with Honeycomb? Looks good

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 4:10 PM, LexTVandRadio said:

WYMT got their new graphics today. Similar to WKYT's but with some yellow sprinkled in. Wish the old WYMT logo was brought back. 

image.png.cae91dc509e74371c597ac5a3a6daec6.png 

image.png.f30c558b83a30f05dff2223b9937f1b1.png

image.png.86d02019b513b21566f0a3435fc8a697.png

Not only they have new graphics, they’re now using “Stream” by Stephen Arnold Music.

• Like 2

KWQC TV 6 in the Quad Cities is working a another set change! I asked one of the meteorologists at TV-6 if that was the case and she said yes! So there is a lot of changes happening at that station. I don’t know if a graphics package will change or not! Something to watch in the coming weeks! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 7:48 AM, ScottSchell said:

I know this doesn’t really have to do with graphics but KWCH dropped the Eyewitness News branding to become 12News debuting a new logo with a white circle with the 12 in it and a cut off N in news.

7C8228F5-4EC3-4CB2-9E24-745502717500.png

3619E2D0-67A3-4BDE-9DB6-C6BAFB3A7171.png

B72A8AF1-9A32-4CDC-BA21-03E372A80DB6.png

4DDBE44A-A300-45FE-84B5-4CBEA68A6542.png

76202C83-31FD-47A9-A5E7-7D9E99691A43.png

Looks like a KTVU logo ripoff

Edited by Yankees4life

They kept the lightning bolt in the "12" of the Storm Team 12 logo, probably the only vestige of the Media General era.  That was a common theme on their "crescent-era" stations that even made it on to stations like WCMH after they were sold by NBC.

I"m surprised it took so long to de-Media-Generalize this station.   Now it's KAKE that still looks like an old Gray station under Lockwood... 

It just goes to show you how circular the ownership in Wichita has been over the years.  

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, EricTheEnthusiast said:

Fox 8 (WVUE) has started using a less obtrusive version of the "Gray Ticker". I wonder if this will roll out group wide or is just a temporary thing. From my vantage point, it's much easier on the eyes.

IMG_0174.jpeg

That looks like the modified version of the Meredith ticker. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 10:39 AM, HoosierNewsie said:

Remember when Gray tried to recreate WABC’s old look? 😂 Looking at this and seeing the Beehive graphics, it’s clear that Gray really needs a new graphics department. 

11 hours ago, EricTheEnthusiast said:

Fox 8 (WVUE) has started using a less obtrusive version of the "Gray Ticker". I wonder if this will roll out group wide or is just a temporary thing. From my vantage point, it's much easier on the eyes.

IMG_0174.jpeg

It seems pretty clear that Gray indeed does have a new graphics department, but I will admit that is pure speculation and we would need someone to officially address this.

13 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

It seems pretty clear that Gray indeed does have a new graphics department, but I will admit that is pure speculation and we would need someone to officially address this.

Matt Quinn who worked for Hothaus and launched Meredith's graphics hub is now in charge of the Gray hub.  Smartest move the brainiacs at Gray made was keeping him.    The ticker is based off the Meredith ticker.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 9/21/2022 at 7:48 AM, ScottSchell said:

I know this doesn’t really have to do with graphics but KWCH dropped the Eyewitness News branding to become 12News debuting a new logo with a white circle with the 12 in it and a cut off N in news.

7C8228F5-4EC3-4CB2-9E24-745502717500.png

3619E2D0-67A3-4BDE-9DB6-C6BAFB3A7171.png

B72A8AF1-9A32-4CDC-BA21-03E372A80DB6.png

4DDBE44A-A300-45FE-84B5-4CBEA68A6542.png

76202C83-31FD-47A9-A5E7-7D9E99691A43.png

That new 12News logo would be great if this was 1986. The lack of spacing between the circle 12 and the N bothers me, and the typeface used for the NEWS part leaves a lot to be desired. The 2 is overstretched. Honestly this is a huge downgrade. Don't knock the logo it replaced, the red crescent 12 was actually very decent.

Also that set is terrible, that feels like it should be a temp set.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:58 AM, GoldenShine9 said:

Excellent choice by KWCH. They needed to get rid of the Media General-era logo, which made them look like a Nexstar station.

The fact that only three other former MG stations/sister stations still use their crescent logos (WMBB, WBTW, and WJBF) doesn't mean that KWCH's logo made them look like a Nexstar station.

On 9/23/2022 at 12:41 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

I"m surprised it took so long to de-Media-Generalize this station. 

Honestly, Gray probably left it up to the station since they had used their old MG logo for so long and it had become an identifying mark for them they decided to keep it. Now, it seems they're looking for a refresh to something else.

There's three existing former MG stations with crescent logos still, WMBB, WBTW, and WJBF. Those three stations still have their crescent logos likely because, just like KWCH, it became their most identifiable logo mark, and if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Edited by ActionTV27
  • Like 3

Like KWCH, WMBB's logo also survived through multiple owners.  Media General had sold them off to Hoak who divested them to Nexstar because of Gray's longstanding ownership of their competition when Hoak merged with Gray.

Schurz kept the logo going all the way into the Gray era after Media General divested them.

7 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Like KWCH, WMBB's logo also survived through multiple owners.  Media General had sold them off to Hoak who divested them to Nexstar because of Gray's longstanding ownership of their competition when Hoak merged with Gray.

Schurz kept the logo going all the way into the Gray era after Media General divested them.

WMBB has gone full circle though, reuniting with most of its old siblings.

Yes the Meredith side won out, this is more of a 2.0 version of the Meredith Graphics.    Agree on the Nexstar comparison.  The question is will each market get opens this custom?    My guess is this was specific Atlanta and it will be altered to make it work for the Parkersburgs of the world that don't have the scenics.   

On 10/1/2022 at 8:19 AM, latvguy said:

Yes the Meredith side won out, this is more of a 2.0 version of the Meredith Graphics.    Agree on the Nexstar comparison.  The question is will each market get opens this custom?    My guess is this was specific Atlanta and it will be altered to make it work for the Parkersburgs of the world that don't have the scenics.   

I can see this becoming the large-market Gray package for the bigger stations, say up to DMA 50 to 60. However, I think the honeycomb package will be the default small-market package (i.e., below 100). The mid-market stations could go either way.

Stations like WBTV, WBRC, WOIO and WVUE I could see getting something like this. 

Edited by GoldenShine9

4 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I can see this becoming the large-market Gray package for the bigger stations, say up to DMA 50 to 60. However, I think the honeycomb package will be the default small-market package (i.e., below 100). The mid-market stations could go either way.

Stations like WBTV, WBRC, WOIO and WVUE I could see getting something like this. 

Nielsen DMAs basically no longer exist, so I think we would now have to go off by metro area population.

The old Meredith package was based off of WOIO’s, but first they need to fix their VHF/encoding issues and potentially drop a few subchannels before anyone will be convinced to watch WOIO to get new graphics.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

Nielsen DMAs basically no longer exist, so I think we would now have to go off by metro area population.

I don't understand. DMAs still exist. It is how programming is sold, how broadcast coverage is defined, how ownership within a market is limited, etc. 

• Like 3