The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

3 hours ago, Wildish said:

That’s the worst of them all. I thought they’d get the wkyt package.

Ehh….honeycomb is worse. The WBTV graphics are the best hands down! It’s a Bruce evolution of the LIM4 graphics package. I wish that WOIO’s graphics would become available to all stations.

• Like 5

The "honeycomb" look is probably the closest thing Gray has for a national package right now, only because it's the package they're using for their "Local News Live" channel that uses their stations' content to fill time on each other's streams.

Outside of the Southeast, are there any other major clusters of stations that have picked it up?  The only other two I can recall are Clarksburg and Harrisonburg...

Edited by tyrannical bastard

On 4/14/2022 at 9:34 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

The "honeycomb" look is probably the closest thing Gray has for a national package right now, only because it's the package they're using for their "Local News Live" channel that uses their stations' content to fill time on each other's streams.

Outside of the Southeast, are there any other major clusters of stations that have picked it up?  The only other two I can recall are Clarksburg and Harrisonburg...

The honeycomb seems to be the small-market package.

On 4/11/2022 at 7:28 AM, ScottSchell said:

KSWO finally made the full switch

20CAAAAE-A3ED-41FE-9943-EE4B6A765F09.png

4C144D76-931D-47CD-AB18-84903D665ECE.png

E88F9C3B-09E7-4D4C-8B2C-FC810AC189CA.png

FAE87CFF-F391-4B0E-8B72-685BC7B3A2AD.png

If that one-size-fits-all Gray ticker wasn’t in the way, I’d be fine with the look; in fact, the WMC package looks like something that Raycom would have done back in the day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

If that one-size-fits-all Gray ticker wasn’t in the way, I’d be fine with the look; in fact, the WMC package looks like something that Raycom would have done back in the day.

Exactly. No matter the look, and yes, even the honeycomb, I could get past them if that damn ticker wasn't such a vast, clunky eyesore.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

It actually debuted last night after the NASCAR race.

You are correct! I was watching the Pels game and once that was over I had enough TV. Woke up to the new graphics and assumed it started with the morning news.

In any event, from someone who is not fluent in what separates good from great from major market packages, it seems like a nice evolution for them. It's not such a huge change from the Raycom look, so there's some consistency for the market leader (I bet 90% of viewers won't even notice). However, it does feel newer and fresher.

Two questions: 1 - is that normal to show the times in 24-hour format? (i.e 04:35) 2 - are we stuck with that giant Grey news ticker on the bottom?

3 hours ago, EricTheEnthusiast said:

Two questions: 1 - is that normal to show the times in 24-hour format? (i.e 04:35) 2 - are we stuck with that giant Grey news ticker on the bottom?

Going by the test closing they're still getting the hang of things, so Zulu time won't stick around...but the Gray ticker is here to stay (though looking at it clear they should try to make that permanent with a better font color to stand out?).

7 hours ago, EricTheEnthusiast said:

WVUE debuted the new graphics this morning. It’s no surprise .. we all guessed the package. Here are some screenshots. 

233EB7ED-0B10-48A5-B314-A38B65C28A76.png

A2A2B98F-C4C1-49C7-AF73-5BE5CEA8A046.png

9EEC01C7-101D-4AF8-9CBF-24568367F71C.png

29F01D65-FB35-41F8-9E5B-CB94C83B641B.png

70281F0F-9A48-4AEA-8A76-2D20345C613F.png

This is like going from MG’s last graphics package (WCMH, WFLA, WKRN) to Nexstar NBC graphics, a package that is the symbol of failure. Great job, Gray. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

WVUE being such a strong market leader deserved better. This is worse than WGNO's package. Basic, Bland, Boring. Tegna looks better than this even. They should have stayed with Raycom's graphics if they couldn't do better.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Wildish said:

WVUE being such a strong market leader deserved better. This is worse than WGNO's package. Basic, Bland, Boring. Tegna looks better than this even. They should have stayed with Raycom's graphics if they couldn't do better.

Falling or the WLOX Package would have been better. 

31 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

I can’t believe it. KCBD is now the final Gray station to have LIM4.1. No update on when it will get Gray graphics. Limerick will continue to live on via Lockwood’s WFXG for the forseeable future. 

Don’t forget KAUZ they haven’t gotten the new graphics yet either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2022 at 1:22 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

I wonder when WOIO will switch to the new look. they still have the urgent look with First, Fair, Everywhere since 2019.

That is Gray graphics. WOIO was the first ex-Raycom station to switch out of LIM4. They're not getting new graphics at the moment, because they're not pressured to do so. 

• Like 4

On 4/19/2022 at 9:56 AM, ScottSchell said:

Don’t forget KAUZ they haven’t gotten the new graphics yet either.

WMTV hasn't had new graphics since the move to their new studios...not sure what version they are on, but its nothing recent.

NBC15.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

God no! The Meredith look is an inconsistent hodgepodge. It's not a complete package. Get rid of that thing. Get rid of every Gray look. Wipe the slate.

Still looks way better than literally every single Gray package in this thread. WOIO is the only one even close and that was technically made pre-Gray even though it debuted after Gray bought them.

Although I will say, even the current Meredith look isn't as good as this was, such a shame this got dropped after only 2 years 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, bgiesing said:

Still looks way better than literally every single Gray package in this thread. WOIO is the only one even close and that was technically made pre-Gray even though it debuted after Gray bought them.

Although I will say, even the current Meredith look isn't as good as this was, such a shame this got dropped after only 2 years 

Oh yeah. Ironically, Matt worked on this too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...