The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

Starting the newscast with a prolonged apology about the number of screwups you’ve been having? “We’re still learning.” Maybe they should have given the staff a bit more time to get used to things. That’s rather embarrassing. 

7 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

I don't know why; but I feel like with the current Gray graphics packages, WAVE and KGMB/KHNL have the best implementations of them so far.

I know why - because neither stations' opens were done by Gray's hub and it's very obvious. Almost anybody can design and animate stuff better than the Gray hub.

• Like 5

On 3/25/2022 at 7:12 PM, sanewsguy said:

I know why - because neither stations' opens were done by Gray's hub and it's very obvious. Almost anybody can design and animate stuff better than the Gray hub.

That should change soon with Matt Quinn now in charge. Not saying things will change quickly (100+ stations is a lot to handle), but they'll get there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, qunewsguy said:

That should change soon with Matt Quinn now in charge. Not saying things will change quickly (100+ stations is a lot to handle), but they'll get there.

Glad to hear Matt Quinn is in charge - I enjoy his aesthetic.  This also means the Meredith legacy stations should stay in tact for a while…

Hopefully, WVUE is on his radar… 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

Glad to hear Matt Quinn is in charge - I enjoy his aesthetic.  This also means the Meredith legacy stations should stay in tact for a while…

Local graphics as well. Matt Quinn and his division of Hothaus are in Cleveland, where there is a Gray station in that market (WOIO) which is how this thread started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSpeedKing said:

Local graphics as well. Matt Quinn and his division of Hothaus are in Cleveland, where there is a Gray station in that market (WOIO) which is how this thread started.

Matt also did quite a bit of work for WKYC, if you recall.

19 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

God no! The Meredith look is an inconsistent hodgepodge. It's not a complete package. Get rid of that thing. Get rid of every Gray look. Wipe the slate.

• Confused 3

5 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

God no! The Meredith look is an inconsistent hodgepodge. It's not a complete package. Get rid of that thing. Get rid of every Gray look. Wipe the slate.

It’s better than that honeycomb look Gray has been putting out there!

• Like 3

Last night during the news at 9 and 10 on WVUE, David Bernard had several graphics with the new look. See the attached screenshots. Seems less like a mistake and more deliberate at this point. Do we think a change is imminent? Any guesses as to when, and which package it will be?

IMG_0717.PNG

IMG_0716.PNG

32 minutes ago, EricTheEnthusiast said:

Seems less like a mistake and more deliberate at this point. Do we think a change is imminent? Any guesses as to when, and which package it will be?

Of course it's not a mistake. Don't be silly. Also it'll debut when it debuts. Please don't keep posting repetitive screenshots and asking for launch date speculation.

8 hours ago, EricTheEnthusiast said:

Last night during the news at 9 and 10 on WVUE, David Bernard had several graphics with the new look. See the attached screenshots. Seems less like a mistake and more deliberate at this point. Do we think a change is imminent? Any guesses as to when, and which package it will be?

IMG_0717.PNG

IMG_0716.PNG

Looks like it is the same package KPLC in Lake Charles (and others) have. Not very impressive, sadly. Considering how dominant WVUE is, you’d think they’d get something special. 

• Like 3

On 4/6/2022 at 6:46 PM, Greggo said:

Not very impressive, sadly. Considering how dominant WVUE is, you’d think they’d get something special. 

Well then again, they adopted the 2007 WEWS graphics in 2012 after the Renderon look, so this wouldn't be the first time they've downgraded...

• Like 1

I"m hoping the WBTV package is the one that WVUE eventually ends up with.  It's probably the most "major market" look they have right now.

Then again, it would look a lot like WGNO's package, especially with the way the lower thirds are designed.

Graphic packages aside, as long as it doesn't look totally awful and makes the on-air product look like garbage, WVUE should be just fine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I"m hoping the WBTV package is the one that WVUE eventually ends up with.  It's probably the most "major market" look they have right now.

Then again, it would look a lot like WGNO's package, especially with the way the lower thirds are designed.

Graphic packages aside, as long as it doesn't look totally awful and makes the on-air product look like garbage, WVUE should be just fine.

Not really, the WOIO and Meredith graphics are the most “large-market” looks they have.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2022 at 5:46 PM, Greggo said:

Looks like it is the same package KPLC in Lake Charles (and others) have. Not very impressive, sadly. Considering how dominant WVUE is, you’d think they’d get something special. 

I believe this was initially known as the WMC package. I couldn’t initially remember which station debuted them. It has been bastardized heavily since then. WBTV has the same opens as KPLC but different L3s. WBRC has different opens but the same L3s, just red instead of blue. So I guess we could still be somewhat surprised. We know based upon the weather graphics shown above that WVUE is going blue. So maybe a custom open and the WBTV L3s? That wouldn’t be too horrible. Still was hoping for more tho. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, I’m a news junkie..so what said:

It’s no surprise, but this might be the graphics package WVUE Fox 8 is getting. This was inside their control room. 

D72FED56-7E5B-4432-8D74-A316723880F7.jpeg

What package would that be? Can’t find one that matches.