The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

On 12/14/2021 at 11:48 PM, CircleSeven said:

They went with the overused WMC pack.

9UArSHs.png

Eww, Helvetica+crappy 3D glass effects? This is a choice, and a large portion of Gray stations..actually chose it? Gray stations, please invest and either get a quality art department or go out of house.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

I saw this on Syncbak’s VUit. On air, WFIE is still on the Raycom look, and they have reverted back to the old weather graphics.

That's the graphic when you press it to get to the on demand video. The station has yet to debut the graphics on air.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, pinghawi said:

Does anyone know if and/or when the Quincy Media acquired stations owned by Gray Media will update/refresh the current graphics?

We don't know what's happening with Gray graphics at this point. The Meredith hub's fate is unknown, so before any of the ex-Quincy stations get new graphics, Gray must decide whether to shift these stations to the Meredith hub or to shut the Meredith hub down and go out-of-house (a la Page 1 of this thread).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSpeedKing said:

We don't know what's happening with Gray graphics at this point. The Meredith hub's fate is unknown, so before any of the ex-Quincy stations get new graphics, Gray must decide whether to shift these stations to the Meredith hub or to shut the Meredith hub down and go out-of-house (a la Page 1 of this thread).

This is very easy. There is no Meredith creative hub. Matt Quinn, over at Hothaus, designed the standardized Meredith package originally for WSMV. It was implemented at every other Meredith station when Bob St. Charles became Group Director, as all marketing was hubbed before the sale. Now, however, that each station has a CSD again and Bob is back to being solely the CSD for WSMV, stations will inevitably go in their own direction. Hilton Howell highly prefers that all stations use Gray graphics. There are some holdouts, certainly, but those will eventually cave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Hilton Howell highly prefers that all stations use Gray graphics.

Like WOIO's? Graphics implemented during Gray ownership are considered Gray graphics in my books. Howell probably does not care where those graphics came from. So, they're going out-of-house. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinghawi said:

WJHG has upgraded to the Hexagon/Beehive look! This is one of the forecast graphics I found from their website: wjhg.com/weather! Tomorrow Forecast

Not only new graphics but new music as well as they switch out Inergy for The Rock. Much needed upgrade really...

14 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

new music as well as they switch out Inergy for The Rock

The Rock is garbage IMO. I would've preferred NBC to sell back the O&O package to SAM for syndication rather than keeping The Rock. CBS Local *might* have been another option if they wanted to pull a WVIT and use the Enforcer logo.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, LOWERCASE GUY said:

Talk about going Retro! Looks like WAVE will be getting a new logo this year to commemorate their 75th Anniversary. From what I've been told, it'll debut on air early this year.

image.png.09b2643cb7ee6061d196014e96162421.png

Finally! This is what I’ve been hoping for all these years. Modernity has been something WAVE pushed really hard as of late. So a “fresh” logo design was in order.

Edited by TheSpeedKing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, noggi said:

That will look amazing on some big tacky 3D poorly textured random shapes with some lens flares. 

The WAVE logo is usually applied to flat elements only-don't be concerned about that. Also, have you seen their previous graphics? (Videos are in this thread)

It's a fantastic reboot of their old-time logo.  I think it's going to be the next design trend as stations resurrect and re-boot their heritage branding because of how homogeneous and "networked" broadcast affiliates have become. 

WKBN doing what they did a decade ago was another great example of using their heritage "WKBN" sign as part of their logo.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It's a fantastic reboot of their old-time logo.  I think it's going to be the next design trend as stations resurrect and re-boot their heritage branding because of how homogeneous and "networked" broadcast affiliates have become. 

WKBN doing what they did a decade ago was another great example of using their heritage "WKBN" sign as part of their logo.

Yeah, and then you look at WPXI, which has used the same "11" logo since the 80s.

16 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I would like to see this old/new blend trend happen! Wish stations could add their own spin on the corporate graphics to add a nice balance between uniqueness and uniformity.

• Like 6