The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

I wonder how much longer Lockwood is going to keep the old Gray looks around.  It's like they're still owned by them.

WCAV has the WBTV package, and KAKE still has the look about to be dumped by WSAZ and WTVY.

WFXG still has the old Raycom look to them, and the other Raycom castoffs are letting Nexstar (Dothan and Panama City) and Tegna (Knoxville) do their news their way.  KTEN is really the only one doing something different, and it's sort of the Bayou City look that Meredith used to use before they got their own centralized package based off WSMV's look.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

30 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I wonder how much longer Lockwood is going to keep the old Gray looks around.  It's like they're still owned by them.

WCAV has the WBTV package, and KAKE still has the look about to be dumped by WSAZ and WTVY.

WFXG still has the old Raycom look to them, and the other Raycom castoffs are letting Nexstar (Dothan and Panama City) and Tegna (Knoxville) do their news their way.  KTEN is really the only one doing something different, and it's sort of the Bayou City look that Meredith used to use before they got their own centralized package based off WSMV's look.

Of all the Lockwood stations you listed, KTEN is the only one that isn't a former Gray station.

On 3/2/2021 at 5:57 PM, froyo49 said:

👀 Something I noticed at the end of the WTVY article:

Interesting that a station in market 172 commissioned a custom soundtrack, unless they're talking about a few updates to an existing package. I guess we'll see Thursday.

Ain't nothing custom about it. They're using Guardian.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Ain't nothing custom about it. They're using Guardian.

Humph, I feel cheated. I guess they wanted to feel special by calling it custom. Oh well. 

As for the new graphics, it’s Gray’s least ugly package IMO. Hope they pass it along to other stations soon enough. 

Two thoughts on this package. 

The first is that it  looks an interpretation of the the former WALA graphics; at least open anyway.

The second being, it looks like something you can buy on VideoHive.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Its looks ok to me. But I'm still waiting for the rest of the ex-Raycom stations to get new graphics (what's the hold up?)

Hopefully the hold up is that there is pushback on these below-par graphics.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Keep in mind that Dothan is market 170-something, so that alone plays a part on how much they can spend on an upgrade.

I'm amazed at how far WDHN has come over the past several years, to the point it's finally added morning news and taking over the news for WDFX.

Has WDHN added weekend news yet? I know for the longest time they had no such news, giving WTVY a monopoly there.

12 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Has WDHN added weekend news yet? I know for the longest time they had no such news, giving WTVY a monopoly there.

Still no weekend news.  But they have added a weekday 5am edition of Wake Up Wiregrass, as well as an hour-long 11am show called WDHN Daytime (since Noon CT is ABC's GMA3 hour).

Edited by tyrannical bastard

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Still no weekend news.  But they have added a weekday 5am edition of Wake Up Wiregrass, as well as an hour-long 11am show called WDHN Daytime (since Noon CT is ABC's GMA3 hour).

I'm surprised Nexstar hasn't already had WDHN add in weekend newscasts.  At the very least, they should simulcast newscasts from WMBB if not do things in-house.

Before Nexstar grew to the size it is today, WDHN was an outlier, being very distant from the legacy Nexstar stations. (Even Morris sold them to Nexstar!)

WMBB's divestiture from the Hoak/Gray merger changed that, giving them a neighboring market, and then the Media General merger really bolstered their presence in Alabama and the region. 

Gray & Raycom have had a dominating presence in the area, and has gotten even stronger as Gray has traded up in Dothan and the weaker Raycom stations (WDFX, WTXL, WPGX, WFXL) have been divested.  With WALA  being up for sale, it really is the last piece in the puzzle if Gray wants to pursue Meredith for either the stations they want to sell, or even the entire group.

Now back to the topic at hand....when will WVUE get new graphics?  I really hope they get a hybrid look like WBRC got.  It's a powerhouse station that now dominates the New Orleans market, plus being home of Investigate.TV and Lee Zurik providing stories for the entire group...

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Now back to the topic at hand....when will WVUE get new graphics?  I really hope they get a hybrid look like WBRC got.  It's a powerhouse station that now dominates the New Orleans market, plus being home of Investigate.TV and Lee Zurik providing stories for the entire group...

Outside of WAVE's graphics, nothing I've seen here is better than what they have. WBRC still feels cheap.

• 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread