The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

15 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

So, how many ex-Raycom stations are left to switch?

WTVM, WVUE, KAIT, WFIE, KCBD, KSWO, KAUZ, KGMB/KHNL. 

WWNY also haven't switched (even though this was a United Comm. outlet).

Edited by CircleSeven
Just found out another station switched.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

WTVM, WVUE, KSLA, KAIT, WFIE, KCBD, KSWO, KAUZ, KGMB/KHNL. 

WWNY also haven't switched (even though this was a United Comm. outlet).

Don’t forget WVIR in Charlottesville. The station still have the old Waterman look after Gray added it to their portfolio last year.

Edited by tw-804
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Slowly, but surely, the new graphics are creeping into the pre-Raycom outlets.

Valley News Live (KVLY/KXJB) have the same graphic pack its sister station down I-29 have (KSFY/KDLT).

uBeMJxZ.png

r6AF9pC.png

19HJKTm.png

M5v8AGK.png

The major problem though is that on-air, these have been atrocious to watch. Animations seldom work (delayed, glitchy, animations seem incomplete), the quad-sreen over Morken's shoulder has been blacked out during the newscast all week (the screens themselves are not new- part of the studio re-design in 2012-ish.

Is it software related? pre-mature rollout?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, Yankees4life said:

This is way overdue

6 ex-Raycom stations are left now

As of tonight, WFIE is still operating on the Raycom graphics and this promo is only still on Vimeo. Hasn't appeared to run on TV or on their social sites.

7 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

And...they met halfway?

I saw this today at noon and it's making me think they're just going to hold off until they do any construction to build a new set. The set is at least ten years old except for some updated duratrans and weather branding. They are using some of the AR features that the already upgraded stations are using during weather. 

WFIE is just "landlocked" in an aging building. 

• 3 weeks later...

I hope whatever WVUE gets, it's a package with a twinge of customization to it, like WBRC had their own spin on the so-called "over-used" variant that WRDW/WAGT just got.

Even if the main color is purple, it's New Orleans, and it will work there.

The WBTV package is good. The only problem is that it looks so similar to the KOIN Nexstar package that WGNO just got (especially with the lower thirds).  Except that Gray does a much better job overall of executing it.

It would take a lot to screw up WVUE.  And since their competition has crumbled before them, WVUE has the clear advantage no matter what they end up with.

WTVY is revamping their look on Thursday.  This includes a refreshed logo, new graphics and a refreshed set.

https://www.wtvy.com/2021/03/01/wtvy-introduces-new-branding/

Graphics-wise, they have a similar package to the one that's about to be replaced at WSAZ, and their set is about a decade old, and is one of the standard-issue Gray ones from that era.

I'm sure any updates will also extend to WRGX, their low-powered NBC station.

• Like 3

👀 Something I noticed at the end of the WTVY article:

The new custom soundtrack was composed by Stephen Arnold Music.

Interesting that a station in market 172 commissioned a custom soundtrack, unless they're talking about a few updates to an existing package. I guess we'll see Thursday.

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WTVY is revamping their look on Thursday.  This includes a refreshed logo, new graphics and a refreshed set.

https://www.wtvy.com/2021/03/01/wtvy-introduces-new-branding/

Graphics-wise, they have a similar package to the one that's about to be replaced at WSAZ, and their set is about a decade old, and is one of the standard-issue Gray ones from that era.

I'm sure any updates will also extend to WRGX, their low-powered NBC station.

Looks a lot like Nexstar's WIVB -- even the weather branding

19 hours ago, froyo49 said:

👀 Something I noticed at the end of the WTVY article:

Interesting that a station in market 172 commissioned a custom soundtrack, unless they're talking about a few updates to an existing package. I guess we'll see Thursday.

That also means one less station using "Ariel" as their theme 😎

• Like 3

• 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread