The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

4 hours ago, TheRyan said:

It would be a shame of WOIO dumped those graphics this soon.  It's the best package they've had since the days of 19 Action News.  Nothing in Gray's current graphics portfolio would be nearly as good as the current gfx on WOIO.

It's good, but they could be improved upon...namely the logo itself, and re-do the supers so they don't look like they're built off the old Limerick package.

I guess the last thing Cleveland TV needs is another canned graphics package (except for WKYC...the Tegna-itis would be an improvement at this point)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:59 PM, TheRyan said:

It would be a shame of WOIO dumped those graphics this soon.  It's the best package they've had since the days of 19 Action News.  Nothing in Gray's current graphics portfolio would be nearly as good as the current gfx on WOIO.

I’d say the WAVE package comes close. However, that seems to be more of a “Limerick 2.0” package planned for ex-Raycom stations so even that might be mutilated mid-cycle under Gray.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NEOMatrix said:

I’d say the WAVE package comes close. However, that seems to be more of a “Limerick 2.0” package planned for ex-Raycom stations so even that might be mutilated mid-cycle under Gray.

WAVE created their current package themselves though. Makes you wonder why Gray hasn't asked them to run their graphics hub even after the fact.

• Like 3

I don't know what the art/creative staffing arrangement is at the legacy Gray stations given the hub, but at least in some of what were the Raycom stations, you typically have, or had, an art director (or equivalent) and a subordinate or two. That is still the case at WAVE if I'm not mistaken, and at most stations these days, that's enough to do a lot.

I don’t know if there is a thread for this, but Gray Television has updated their livestream players into HD for some legacy Raycom Stations. They are no longer pixely like the Raycom live-streams. Also when they go to break it says that you are watching a gray tv station. WMC’s livestream has been re-playing Friday’s live update during the Today show. They used the new livestream for the 3pm newscast yesterday.

BE218738-B6F5-48C4-94AC-D423E199619F.png

They also updated WLBT’s

• Like 1

12 hours ago, I’m a news junkie..so what said:

I don’t know if there is a thread for this, but Gray Television has updated their livestream players into HD for some legacy Raycom Stations. They are no longer pixely like the Raycom live-streams. Also when they go to break it says that you are watching a gray tv station. WMC’s livestream has been re-playing Friday’s live update during the Today show. They used the new livestream for the 3pm newscast yesterday.

BE218738-B6F5-48C4-94AC-D423E199619F.png

They also updated WLBT’s

Looks like they are finally moving away from the livestream platform to the Syncbak standard that most of the Gray stations have been using.  The former Raycom stations used livestream.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Looks like they are finally moving away from the livestream platform to the Syncbak standard that most of the Gray stations have been using.  The former Raycom stations used livestream.

Just going through SBTV, they've all finally hit that site, including VOD of newscasts.

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

New station: WBRC. It's a red-gray-white version of the WMC graphics.

It's like they've preserved the fonts from the Limerick package and merge it with the WMC pack. It's better than the overly-used Helvetica. Talk about uniqueness.

MBTUUrQ.png

9kbtmEN.png

k6hx5Nd.png

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 2

Home base is lit weird. The logo up top is poorly lit and that whole structural element almost seems CGI, probably because it's only lit from the bottm. The camera is crooked, too. Opening shot should have either been tighter from the start or wide then push in. Just my two cents, I'm not the director.

3 hours ago, I’m a news junkie..so what said:

Their set looks so Sinclair to me. The graphics are alright. Better than some of the other stations that use the same ones.

It's a Devlin job, who did many of their sets going back to when they first went HD, as well as some second-generation ones like WSYX.

Love the hybrid on the graphics, it looks so much better than the Helvetica.  WOIO would look so much better with those lowers.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 12:05 PM, Kyndlehewett said:

What about KGNS and WIFR 

I checked out KGNS's live stream over the weekend and they're using the WMC package (seems to be the default graphic pack for most of their footprint).

But it sounds like they've dropped Inergy for two music themes. On the opens its U-Phonix, but on the bumpers/teases and closes its Third Coast.

As for WIFR, it appears they have a variant of the WBAY/WBTV graphic package with a change of fonts.

uAnDKNP.png

OIuOPNO.png

QH50UD8.png

WdEeWsX.png

fxKzAOK.png

BCVAVoW.png

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 4

On 9/14/2020 at 9:05 PM, CircleSeven said:

As for WIFR, it appears they have a variant of the WBAY/WBTV graphic package with a change of fonts.

uAnDKNP.png

OIuOPNO.png

QH50UD8.png

WdEeWsX.png

fxKzAOK.png

BCVAVoW.png

WIFR debuted this set of graphics when they launched their new 4pm newscast last Tuesday. The weather forecasts also rebranded under the “First Alert Weather” branding, with minor modifications on that end.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Still waiting for some of the old Raycom stations to convert (KFVS?, WVUE?)

Agreed. I talked to an anchor at WFIE who has heard absolutely nothing and they are wondering too. The weather graphics on WFIE - the L3 weather ticker during forecasts - has been updated to the white/Helvetica/blue to match WMC and others. So maybe they are going that route long term? 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This a followup regarding KGNS.

Remember when I mention that the station has switched music packages. I stated KGNS used U-Phonix for the opens and Third Coast for the bumpers and the closes.

BTW, here's their open with the WMC gfx pack.

Vid courtesy of Daniel Garcia's YT page.

So a user on YT uploaded this news open from KGNS's Telemundo subchannel (KXNU-LD/KGNS-DT3). And BTW, this is the WLOX gfx pack they're using for Telemundo show. 

The opening music here is Third Coast, but listen to the tease music after the open.....

Vid courtesy of Daniel Garcia's YT page.

I'm hoping they can get the music cues corrected.......

Anywho. Unreleated to that, Bangor's WABI has switched to the WMC graphic package. I wished they tweaked with the color of the graphic to match the color of the logo.

Vid courtesy of "KLMO"'s YT page.

Edited by CircleSeven

11 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Anywho. Unreleated to that, Bangor's WABI has switched to the WMC graphic package. I wished they tweaked with the color of the graphic to match the color of the logo.

Vid courtesy of "KLMO"'s YT page.

If you look closely at the logo at the end of the open, you can see a copyright symbol on it.

35 minutes ago, kfc513 said:

This is a spanish newscast. Why is their ticker in english???

They bothered to get the "Sponsored By" text translated...but nothing else. (The lottery game titles I can understand.) Even the L3s have rather...stilted translations, as is the "Coverage You Can Count On" slogan.

Edited by Samantha

• 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread