The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

52 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

WMC looks like a cousin to the Scripps look (I swear the Scripps V2 continues to inspire new looks today). I disagree with using the morning cut of iNERGY for the evening news.

And they were a Scripps-Howard station at one time (co-owned with the Commercial-Appeal) until they were sold to Bert Ellis in 1993.  They even had the 1970s era set from WEWS in the 80s and the other standard-issue Scripps set that many of their stations used in the 80s.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 7:22 AM, MikePulse said:

Am I the only one that thinks they missed a good opportunity to reintroduce the steamboat whistle? (And steamboat footage in the back of the 5 logo?)

You are not the only one... The steamboat whistle sounding before the open was part of WMC-TV’s history for a long time. Gray should’ve recognized the steamboat relevance to the station.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I can’t believe they’re rolling this look out to more markets without fixing the L3 issues. The text on the top line needs to differ from the text on the bottom line and the current look doesn’t do that. Looks piss poor. 

So, I have been trying to put my finger on it. I love the WOIO graphics, I think they are great. But WMC, KLTV, KTRE gfx, are not as good to me. I feel like the graphics are dull, and don't necessarily entice me to watch the newscasts. I know it sounds really insignificant, or petty. I think I was just expecting so much MORE in these new Gray graphics. 

On 8/6/2019 at 11:36 PM, Greggo said:

I can’t believe they’re rolling this look out to more markets without fixing the L3 issues. The text on the top line needs to differ from the text on the bottom line and the current look doesn’t do that. Looks piss poor. 

Not just the text, but some of the animations are clunky as well. I'm specifically talking about the end of the open when their logos pop forward and begin to spin back. There are a couple awkward pauses that don't need to be there. It just doesn't look completely finished.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Not just the text, but some of the animations are clunky as well. I'm specifically talking about the end of the open when their logos pop forward and begin to spin back. There are a couple awkward pauses that don't need to be there. It just doesn't look completely finished.

The package just seems so small-market it's not funny. At least Limerick was a decent package even if it was mutilated by some stations. I pray that stations like WBTV or WVUE get something with some pizzazz like what WOIO got.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

Yes, I think that is what I mean. It looks unfinished and its awkward animations and pauses. I am wondering if the larger markets are getting a more "pizzazz" package, while smaller markets, something lesser. But, it doesn't surprise me with Gray. I always thought the WRDW graphics were awkward and horrendously bland also. 

Edited by CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:15 PM, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

Yes, I think that is what I mean. It looks unfinished and its awkward animations and pauses. I am wondering if the larger markets are getting a more "pizzazz" package, while smaller markets, something lesser. But, it doesn't surprise me with Gray. I always thought the WRDW graphics were awkward and horrendously bland also. 

Knowing how cheap most of Gray's graphics packages look, this was the only thing that I feared would happen to the ex-Raycom stations when the merger was announced; and it's already happening in a couple of markets (Memphis & East Texas)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kfc513 said:

Knowing how cheap most of Gray's graphics packages look, this was the only thing that I feared would happen to the ex-Raycom stations when the merger was announced; and it's already happening in a couple of markets (Memphis & East Texas)

In all fairness, typeface aside, WMC executed this particular package much better than its East Texas counterparts.

Edited by TennTV1983
  • Like 1

WLOX has a new package....but it looks like a recycled Gray look.  (very much like the WCTV package)

image.thumb.png.5ca40579365bd7a1ca90721839b2160d.png

They are still using Arnold's Extreme.

Kind of a downgrade from the old look IMHO.  It's apparent that Gray is making their mark on the former Raycom stations ☹️

Edited by tyrannical bastard

I wouldn't be surprised to see WDAM switch soon as well....they're smack dab in the middle between Jackson and Biloxi...

At least they're their own entity unlike WHLT which essentially simulcasts WJTV.

They got a revamped logo with the limerick package, I'm afraid that they could revert to something like WJHG has now (which looks a lot like their prior logo)

Edited by tyrannical bastard

• 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread