The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

On 3/31/2019 at 12:08 PM, Big Country News said:

Fun Fact: Hot Haus' Matt Quinn is based in Cleveland and has done a lot of work with both WOIO and WKYC.

Quinn was behind OIO's famous graphical looks through most of the 2000's.

Not a stretch to think they went local again with a familiar face.

Much like the Nashville stations do with 615 (WCPM)

He's definitely been busy considering some of his recent works and collaborations as of late.

https://mattquinncreative.com/projects

Edited by TennTV1983

50 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

It also looks like its going back to WOIO's first-ever branding... 19 News because Gray realized what Raycom and Scripps (KMGH) didn't... that having a city name in a newscast title is stupid.

It isolates the viewers who don't live in that city. 

2 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

Those gfx look hot for CBS 19 ... 

But since it’s Flashback Friday ... let’s go to one of the best news promos ever.  Seriously.  Lol

— Matt

WOIO at its finest. Sure the ratings didn't reflect it sometimes but those were 19 Action News' glory days.

• Like 2

Looks good thus far!  He knocked it out of the park with his prior "19 Action News" work and did a great job on this upcoming look.

It's a step up even for Gray.  Hopefully it will be a long-term relationship that will ensure quality graphics to both legacy and former Raycom stations.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
YouTube is working again!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, who?cares said:

I wonder if they’ll keep TITP or go back to Enforcer. From what I can tell Gray doesn’t have a music company preference. 

...or CBS Local.  It sounds so much better than TITP and gives them just a little more edge they need back.

I think both companies went "all in" with Stephen Arnold a few years back. 

There are a couple exceptions like WSAZ, which still has Gari's NBC Collection (which oddly enough, replaced Arnold's Signature in the great SESAC disaster of 2006)

On 4/4/2019 at 10:23 PM, NEOMatrix said:

Is that the VO from Inside Edition? If so, then kudos to Gray.

Steve Kamer's the name. He's done some local news work, including KCAL; I believe he's also the voice of the YES Network too.

On 4/5/2019 at 12:14 AM, Ramona said:

It does feel like something from TVbD circa 1996-97... I think it's the typeface, honestly.

Ironic, considering it was TVbD that created WOIO/WUAB's "Cleveland Television News" look in 1995-96:

I think the new logo looks great.   Layout reminds me a bit of ABC 15 in Phoenix, and even WOIO circa 2002-15.  It looks they're going back to full on red considering how blue WEWS and WJW are.  I love the idea of going back to the "19 News" name.  "Cleveland 19" and "Cleveland 19 News" just never clicked.  Now I am wondering if there are going to be more changes beyond logos and graphics at WOIO (and WUAB).

It's safe to say that the last three-plus years have not been going well for WOIO, and a better branding is needed.

9 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

I think the new logo looks great.   Layout reminds me a bit of ABC 15 in Phoenix, and even WOIO circa 2002-15.  It looks they're going back to full on red considering how blue WEWS and WJW are.  I love the idea of going back to the "19 News" name.  "Cleveland 19" and "Cleveland 19 News" just never clicked.  Now I am wondering if there are going to be more changes beyond logos and graphics at WOIO (and WUAB).

It's safe to say that the last three-plus years have not been going well for WOIO, and a better branding is needed.

The red and black motif and made me think of WCCO circa 2003.

• 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread