The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

It's also the station that could use an upgrade the most - Raycom treated it as their "red headed stepchild" in their late days. It may actually be getting an improvement with Gray?

Quite a few of the Gray legacy stations have old packages too; they could probably use an upgrade like that.

Edited by GoldenShine9

Like graphics and a new logo are going to fix the mess that is WOIO? I cannot stand when people here think some graphics changes (and in this case a really blurry picture of a screen out of focus in a picture) or what they assume will be graphics changes are going to turn things around. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the ONLY proof that exists of something new potentially happening.

Therefore, at this time we cannot legitimately confirm that:

1. This is a new graphics package for WOIO
  2. This is a new graphics package for Gray stations
  3. Other Gray stations will adopt this package
  4. WOIO is getting a new logo
  5. This new "graphics package" is going to be good or look like that
  6. This new "graphics package" will save the ratings of WOIO

Once more proof exists, I may be willing to accept this as something likely to happen. Until then, I'm not paying attention to a blurry out of focus picture. I'm not going to just jump the gun and assume anything and neither should you. If you do, you should take it to the Speculatron.

5 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Like graphics and a new logo are going to fix the mess that is WOIO? I cannot stand when people here think some graphics changes (and in this case a really blurry picture of a screen out of focus in a picture) or what they assume will be graphics changes are going to turn things around. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the ONLY proof that exists of something new potentially happening.

Therefore, at this time we cannot legitimately confirm that:

1. This is a new graphics package for WOIO
  2. This is a new graphics package for Gray stations
  3. Other Gray stations will adopt this package
  4. WOIO is getting a new logo
  5. This new "graphics package" is going to be good or look like that
  6. This new "graphics package" will save the ratings of WOIO

Once more proof exists, I may be willing to accept this as something likely to happen. Until then, I'm not paying attention to a blurry out of focus picture. I'm not going to just jump the gun and assume anything and neither should you. If you do, you should take it to the Speculatron.

I can understand your concern. However, this is not a rejected mock from someone at Gray, but instead it was on one of the weather monitors during an actual newscast. Likely, WOIO does have it in its systems, so the question will be when. As far as graphics saving WOIO, I know graphics alone can't save WOIO, I'm just asking that the newscasts be more watchable, that's all.

Edited by NEOMatrix
  • Like 2

I just watched the archived video of yesterday's 4:00 via NewsOn (and a pox on NewsOn for limiting screenshots with their latest redesign).

Seeing this in full screen in HD quality confirms that there might be something brewing. That logo, if it is more than just a placeholder, gives me serious vibes to the Ackerley logos of the late 90s which took Upstate New York by storm and are still active at WIVT. In contrast to every 19 WOIO has had as CBS, better than every one they had this side of the later Malrite era CBS 19.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It would be a change of pace for Gray to go out of house for a new look.  (It looks like they fell for the WeatheRate scam too...ugh)

We all know that Raycom had their in-house Limerick package, Wasn't most of Gray's graphic efforts in house as well?

I really don’t want to go off-topic with the tread but can you go further on the WeateRate scam?  I ask because I always thought that a station had to PAY for the title of Most Accurate Forecast.

Thanks.

— Matt  

On 3/28/2019 at 8:03 AM, susquvalleywgal said:

I really don’t want to go off-topic with the tread but can you go further on the WeateRate scam?  I ask because I always thought that a station had to PAY for the title of Most Accurate Forecast.

Thanks.

— Matt  

Hence why people call it a scam.

• Like 2

Was WeatherRate a Raycom decision on WOIO? 

In the post-Goddard era of Cleveland television it may seem a little more tolerable, but nevertheless, one of those things a company pulls out of their "bag of tricks" to try and make the station better again.  Consultant-laden drivel.

IIRC, the WeatherRate folks do their own research, and go to the "most accurate" station.  If the station buys into it, they can proclaim that they have the "Most Accurate" forecast.

(if it wasn't for Sinclair, I'm sure some snake-oil salesperson would do the same thing with the "most accurate" news coverage....too bad the Poynter Institute doesn't do this with Politifact for TV too much....)

Back to topic, A decent graphics package would be nice, but there are much more things Gray and WOIO need to do to make WOIO a contender in Cleveland.

Inertia (the fall of WKYC and WEWS...along with general ratings declines) will probably play the biggest part. 

Nexstar potentially messing up WJW could help as well...

Action News put them on the map, and while it was sensational and over-the-top, it worked even when its competition was still putting out a quality news product.  (WEWS was in an alternate universe in the time that only a "Circle 5" could save them from)

Raycom shot themselves in the foot when they killed "Action News" and later chased off all of their recognizable...cough cough "highly compensated" talent right before Gray took over.

• Like 1

Fun Fact: Hot Haus' Matt Quinn is based in Cleveland and has done a lot of work with both WOIO and WKYC.

Quinn was behind OIO's famous graphical looks through most of the 2000's.

Not a stretch to think they went local again with a familiar face.

Much like the Nashville stations do with 615 (WCPM)

• Like 4

Pretty much when WOIO canned "Action News" was the death knell competitiveness at Reserve Square. Axing David Wittman, plus Denise Dufala (who had been at WOIO since 1995), and Romona Robinson pretty much sealed Snoozefest 19's fate. Now they're trying to build around the "19 First Alert" brand ("19 First Alert Headlines"?!? REALLY?!?) and Tucker and Tanaka. Now all we need is "Like Fireflies" to replace TITP and we have the potpourri of clusterfuck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Pretty much when WOIO canned "Action News" was the death knell competitiveness at Reserve Square. Axing David Wittman, plus Denise Dufala (who had been at WOIO since 1995), and Romona Robinson pretty much sealed Snoozefest 19's fate. Now they're trying to build around the "19 First Alert" brand ("19 First Alert Headlines"?!? REALLY?!?) and Tucker and Tanaka. Now all we need is "Like Fireflies" to replace TITP and we have the potpourri of clusterfuck.

That's very WAFF of them. 

• Haha 1

• 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread