Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
NEOMatrix

New WOIO (and possibly another Gray) Graphics Package

Recommended Posts

WMC looks like a cousin to the Scripps look (I swear the Scripps V2 continues to inspire new looks today). I disagree with using the morning cut of iNERGY for the evening news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

WMC looks like a cousin to the Scripps look (I swear the Scripps V2 continues to inspire new looks today). I disagree with using the morning cut of iNERGY for the evening news.

 

And they were a Scripps-Howard station at one time (co-owned with the Commercial-Appeal) until they were sold to Bert Ellis in 1993.  They even had the 1970s era set from WEWS in the 80s and the other standard-issue Scripps set that many of their stations used in the 80s.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 7:22 AM, MikePulse said:

Am I the only one that thinks they missed a good opportunity to reintroduce the steamboat whistle? (And steamboat footage in the back of the 5 logo?)

You are not the only one... The steamboat whistle sounding before the open was part of WMC-TV’s history for a long time. Gray should’ve recognized the steamboat relevance to the station.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

GMET Express???

 

Excuse me ...

/barf

 

-- Matt

 

That's been their 6:30 a.m. half-hour newscast of GMET for a few years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t believe they’re rolling this look out to more markets without fixing the L3 issues. The text on the top line needs to differ from the text on the bottom line and the current look doesn’t do that. Looks piss poor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I have been trying to put my finger on it. I love the WOIO graphics, I think they are great. But WMC, KLTV, KTRE gfx, are not as good to me. I feel like the graphics are dull, and don't necessarily entice me to watch the newscasts. I know it sounds really insignificant, or petty. I think I was just expecting so much MORE in these new Gray graphics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the gripe isn't with the graphics itself. It's the stations ain't willing to use a different font on the L3s other than Helvectica (or tweak with the coloring). If they woud've used the font that KFDA & KWQC uses, it wouldn't look all that much...... "plain".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 11:36 PM, Greggo said:

I can’t believe they’re rolling this look out to more markets without fixing the L3 issues. The text on the top line needs to differ from the text on the bottom line and the current look doesn’t do that. Looks piss poor. 

 

Not just the text, but some of the animations are clunky as well. I'm specifically talking about the end of the open when their logos pop forward and begin to spin back. There are a couple awkward pauses that don't need to be there. It just doesn't look completely finished.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

 

Not just the text, but some of the animations are clunky as well. I'm specifically talking about the end of the open when their logos pop forward and begin to spin back. There are a couple awkward pauses that don't need to be there. It just doesn't look completely finished.

The package just seems so small-market it's not funny. At least Limerick was a decent package even if it was mutilated by some stations. I pray that stations like WBTV or WVUE get something with some pizzazz like what WOIO got.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

 

Not just the text, but some of the animations are clunky as well. I'm specifically talking about the end of the open when their logos pop forward and begin to spin back. There are a couple awkward pauses that don't need to be there. It just doesn't look completely finished.

Yes, I think that is what I mean. It looks unfinished and its awkward animations and pauses. I am wondering if the larger markets are getting a more "pizzazz" package, while smaller markets, something lesser. But, it doesn't surprise me with Gray. I always thought the WRDW graphics were awkward and horrendously bland also. 

Edited by CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 9:15 PM, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

Yes, I think that is what I mean. It looks unfinished and its awkward animations and pauses. I am wondering if the larger markets are getting a more "pizzazz" package, while smaller markets, something lesser. But, it doesn't surprise me with Gray. I always thought the WRDW graphics were awkward and horrendously bland also. 

 

Knowing how cheap most of Gray's graphics packages look, this was the only thing that I feared would happen to the ex-Raycom stations when the merger was announced; and it's already happening in a couple of markets (Memphis & East Texas)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kfc513 said:

 

Knowing how cheap most of Gray's graphics packages look, this was the only thing that I feared would happen to the ex-Raycom stations when the merger was announced; and it's already happening in a couple of markets (Memphis & East Texas)

 

In all fairness, typeface aside, WMC executed this particular package much better than its East Texas counterparts.

Edited by TennTV1983
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Even among legacy stations, there seems to be a difference - and not just on market size. WOWT Omaha got the Texas-like package, yet many smaller stations like WBKO, WYMT and KMVT got the Memphis-like package.

Edited by GoldenShine9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 7:30 PM, RGSJenkins said:

KLTV's open: 

 

 

KTRE's open: 

 

 

That logo animation is crap. The back of it faced the camera too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm waiting to see what they possibly have in store for KXII as their graphics are still presented in the 4:3 safe area on the screen.

B09FCC69-A997-4D26-8EC2-3C4B9EC054EE.jpeg

F6066962-70FF-4CD4-861F-113910E2B053.jpeg

Edited by JCB4TV
Added images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

WLOX has a new package....but it looks like a recycled Gray look.  (very much like the WCTV package)

image.thumb.png.5ca40579365bd7a1ca90721839b2160d.png

They are still using Arnold's Extreme.

 

Kind of a downgrade from the old look IMHO.  It's apparent that Gray is making their mark on the former Raycom stations ☹️

 

 

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WLOX has a new package....but it looks like a recycled Gray look.  (very much like the WCTV package)

image.thumb.png.5ca40579365bd7a1ca90721839b2160d.png

They are still using Arnold's Extreme.

 

 

 

They are using the same package that KGWN is using:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

 

They are using the same package that KGWN is using:

 

 

And WCTV as well

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wouldn't be surprised to see WDAM switch soon as well....they're smack dab in the middle between Jackson and Biloxi...

At least they're their own entity unlike WHLT which essentially simulcasts WJTV.

 

They got a revamped logo with the limerick package, I'm afraid that they could revert to something like WJHG has now (which looks a lot like their prior logo)

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.