The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

16 hours ago, TheRomeoShow said:

Will Hothaus update the graphics for all Gray stations? It’s definitely a much needed update for the incoming Raycom additions!

If there's one thing Gray doesn't do, it's standardization. Though, I wouldn't mind if this package spread to other stations in the group. 

• Like 4

Hate to say it, but it feels like Gray tried to put "Action News" lipstick on a "Snoozefest 19" pig, when Gray should've shot the pig and start over. I would say give it time, but as of now it looks like they're trying too hard to be "Action News" without being "Action News".

• Like 4

16 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Hate to say it, but it feels like Gray tried to put "Action News" lipstick on a "Snoozefest 19" pig, when Gray should've shot the pig and start over. I would say give it time, but as of now it looks like they're trying too hard to be "Action News" without being "Action News".

But its still better than the disastrous Cleveland 19 News.

Edited by TheRolyPoly

On 4/9/2019 at 4:53 PM, Georgie56 said:

If there's one thing Gray doesn't do, it's standardization. Though, I wouldn't mind if this package spread to other stations in the group. 

That's not true though. They are eliminating the Limerick package group-wide.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dallastvguy said:

Hothaus had nothing to do with this package and they are rarely doing work anymore.  This really takes 19 back to the glory days!

That's not correct. I've talked to staff there. They did create this package and they have been doing a lot of work!

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 5:53 PM, Georgie56 said:

The ticker though...that's always the same. I expect them to get the standard Gray ticker in due time (never understood why the ticker is standard for them but not the rest of the GFX).

41 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

The ticker though...that's always the same. I expect them to get the standard Gray ticker in due time (never understood why the ticker is standard for them but not the rest of the GFX).

It’s similar to how WFLA still uses their 2016 Media General graphics, but uses the Nexstar ticker. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

The ticker tho for Gray stations is junk.  Much to be left desired.  The text of the ticker takes up only 45% of the screen.  

— Matt

22 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

That's not true though. They are eliminating the Limerick package group-wide.

The Limerick package is becoming dated. So many stations have mutilated it, it’s not funny. I just hope some of the in house station artists don’t design packages. Some of their work is BAD. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, bhratbrat said:

Im not trying to criticize WOIO here, but geeze, Chris Tanaka sounds like he does not care anymore. 

With WOIO's direction changing, it's obvious that Tanaka's ass is grass. He definitely knows he doesn't fit in with 19 News, so what to do: not give a f*ck obviously.

Could there be new anchor teams coming to 19 News?

Back to the new graphics, I love them.  Much better than the Cleveland 19 look.

I will add that nothing can top "Hometeam 19/43 News" as the most disastrous branding those two stations had.

Plus, Dawn Kendrick appears to no longer work at WKYC.  Maybe she can return to 19.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

The ticker tho for Gray stations is junk.  Much to be left desired.  The text of the ticker takes up only 45% of the screen.  

— Matt

It's especially junk to configure on the backend.

With the relaunch, WOIO is the first former Raycom station to be available on SBTV.

As of now, they still have a standalone Roku app (in the Raycom format updated with the new logo) and WOIO is still available on livestream and NewsOn (with the Cleveland 19 logo)

Time will tell if they stay on NewsOn, but I believe they're going to stick with SBTV.

My wish is that WOIO actually have their 4, 5, and 6 newscasts be different. It's pretty much the same stories for those three newscasts. That really shouldn't be the case for a top 20 market. Such a stark difference between 19 and its counterpart, KDKA. 

Does anybody remember the segment "TrivTv," when anchor Sharon Reed would chat with WTAM Radio host Mike Trivisonno at 4:30 and 5:30? It was funny more than anything else. 

On 4/13/2019 at 8:07 PM, NEOMatrix said:

With WOIO's direction changing, it's obvious that Tanaka's ass is grass. He definitely knows he doesn't fit in with 19 News, so what to do: not give a f*ck obviously.

It isn’t too hard to read with enthusiasm...or is it?  Not to go into speculation territory here, but could Chris Tye be coming to 19? If Tanaka signed a three-year deal, his contract would be up this summer.  And if Tye has a 6-month non-compete, it would expire around that time....  A quick look at Instagram shows Tye is friends with Jason Nicholas.  So, who knows.... 

I just went to their website tonight. Just randomly, kind of. I do have lots of extended family out there, so as soon as I find the link to their newscast, I'll need to catch up. 

Overall, I really like the new "19" logo, and I like even more that there's no longer two different "19"s in two different fonts. That was always a bit triggering.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 12:40 AM, Payton39 said:

I just went to their website tonight. Just randomly, kind of. I do have lots of extended family out there, so as soon as I find the link to their newscast, I'll need to catch up. 

Overall, I really like the new "19" logo, and I like even more that there's no longer two different "19"s in two different fonts. That was always a bit triggering.

The graphics do look cool

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

KFDA I noticed has new graphics.  They aren't quite like WOIO... During the weather segment, the only thing really left over from Raycom are the circles used to display the temps on the maps...

https://www.newschannel10.com/weather/

https://www.newschannel10.com/2019/06/22/traffic-alert-ih-interchange-traffic-down-one-lane-due-accident/

Edited by MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie

• 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread