The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

9 minutes ago, WxNerd said:

So this confirms it was in-house.  This is really refreshing to see.  I wish more stations would design packages in-house these days.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

So this confirms it was in-house.  This is really refreshing to see.  I wish more stations would design packages in-house these days.

Same here. They did a great job!  Some still do graphics in-house. I know Lilly Broadcasting is working on a refresh to their existing package. That should debut in early 2020.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WxNerd said:

Smaller market stations don't have the money to go in-house. That said, Gray should hire them to do that package (in colors that suit the stations) company-wide.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Smaller market stations don't have the money to go in-house. That said, Gray should hire them to do that package (in colors that suit the stations) company-wide.

I totally agree...the in-house team at WAVE are very good at designing gfx--that is for sure. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Pine Belt Media said:

I found this on YouTube, but I can’t place it with a graphics package that a station in the group uses.  Could this be a new graphics package? 

Confirmed...  This package debuted on WDAM at 6p. 

812A49E9-9669-4923-82B2-353354B7BABE.png

342B6FBE-6D7C-414A-A7BC-91F49BB551BF.png

4D04174B-A4D4-439F-9BFA-CDEE88111E91.png

661D84CE-B453-4124-8DFF-54F98AC9DA90.png

BB4AC2A3-3F18-4F46-890F-FD0915DE27E9.png

Edited by Pine Belt Media
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 8:31 PM, TheRyan said:

By the way, another observation I'll make:   Why didn't Gray invest in new duratrans for WDAM's set?   It doesn't match the new graphics very well.

I’ll make this observation, that weather man was clearly having a problem with his IFB and was probably pissed because you could see him tug it hard out of his ear. Producers and directors need to make sure IFBs are on and working before going on the air, that was very tacky and shame on them for not making sure his was okay beforehand.

Edited by KentBrockman

33 minutes ago, KentBrockman said:

I’ll make this observation, that weather man was clearly having a problem with his IFB and was probably pissed because you could see him tug it hard out of his ear. Producers and directors need to make sure IFBs are on and working before going on the air, that was very tacky and shame on them for not making sure his was okay beforehand.

It seems like he may have been dealing with the IFB picking up too much noise (more than just director's cues)...but that's purely a guess.    

On a side note, I've occasionally noticed some reporters (at other stations) will literally pull out their IFB when they start their live shot.  I wonder why they do that.

11 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Spoiler alert: If their IFB isn't working it's probably because they're late to the studio and that's on them.

10 hours ago, TheRyan said:

It seems like he may have been dealing with the IFB picking up too much noise (more than just director's cues)...but that's purely a guess.    

On a side note, I've occasionally noticed some reporters (at other stations) will literally pull out their IFB when they start their live shot.  I wonder why they do that.

When a reporter does this, it's because they aren't mix-minused properly, so they hear feedback (themselves on a delay) which isn't delightful. Usually a result of an audio operator forgetting to do so.

Edited by Al-SA-TX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Al-SA-TX said:

When a reporter does this, it's because they aren't mix-minused properly, so they hear feedback (themselves on a delay) which isn't delightful. Usually a result of an audio operator forgetting to do so.

Either the control room set it up wrong or the reporter called in on the wrong number or they switched to a different one without telling the control room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTVNews said:

Either the control room set it up wrong or the reporter called in on the wrong number or they switched to a different one without telling the control room.

WDAM just transitioned to complete automation and robotic cameras. That might be one of the reasons for that. 

• Like 1

WDAM looks okay, it could be far worse.  Better than what WLOX has for sure.

Usually, they're one of my "fringe" stations (along with WHLT which comes in more often), but reception is worse this time of year.

Here's hoping WVUE gets something halfway decent.  Bonus points if they work in purple (and put the final nail in WWL's coffin...)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WDAM looks okay, it could be far worse.  Better than what WLOX has for sure.

Usually, they're one of my "fringe" stations (along with WHLT which comes in more often), but reception is worse this time of year.

Here's hoping WVUE gets something halfway decent.  Bonus points if they work in purple (and put the final nail in WWL's coffin...)

WVUE with the WAVE package would alright with me 👏🏻

• Like 4

On 12/12/2019 at 11:16 PM, Pine Belt Media said:

WDAM just transitioned to complete automation and robotic cameras. That might be one of the reasons for that. 

Speaking of that, FTVlive has a story about WDAM's switch to automation.  Apparently it glitched so bad they couldn't put their morning newscast on the air.  

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/12/13/when-automation-does-automate

• Like 1

• 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread