The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

On 6/23/2019 at 7:30 AM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

KFDA I noticed has new graphics.  They aren't quite like WOIO... During the weather segment, the only thing really left over from Raycom are the circles used to display the temps on the maps...

https://www.newschannel10.com/weather/

https://www.newschannel10.com/2019/06/22/traffic-alert-ih-interchange-traffic-down-one-lane-due-accident/

Looks like from the gray graphics hub with some recoloring done

On 6/24/2019 at 10:39 AM, susquvalleywgal said:

KFDA open.

— Matt

I know it's small market but that news writing is terrible! Almost as if the anchor is reading the press release itself. Doesn't help that she sounds robotic and bored.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PTVNews said:

I know it's small market but that news writing is terrible! Almost as if the anchor is reading the press release itself. Doesn't help that she sounds robotic and bored.

Amarillo is a “fresh out” market - kiddos right out of college. I had a couple of college mates who started there right out of school (and then moved up and out after a year or two) - especially on the weekend, where crews are very thin.

i’d just chalk it up to lack of experience.

J

• Like 1

Just caught the final seconds of WMC's 5PM and saw the same thing. Here are a couple photos.

I hope the custom backgrounds on the weather graphics aren't done with (even though they appear to be, if the 7-day is any indication). I always thought using local photos was a neat idea.

IMG_20190707_172810.jpg

IMG_20190707_172828.jpg

Edited by memnews
  • Like 1

I'm afraid I won't be of any help with recording an open. But some videos from the 5PM have been uploaded to the app/website.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the font is Helvetica. And the lower thirds really need some help differentiating between the headline and the secondary text.

(Accidentally posted this before with "hide post" selected and for the life of me can't seem to undo it. My bad.)

2019-07-07_(25).png

2019-07-07_(22).png

2019-07-07_(24).png

2019-07-07_(21).png

2019-07-07_(26).png

2019-07-07_(23).png

If you'll pardon the poor quality, here are some pictures and video from the 10PM. In addition to Helvetica on the regular graphics, I think that's Arial on the weather graphics. Also not a fan of how unnecessarily blocky and screen-clogging the weather scroll is. As you can see though, the rest of the weather graphics rely heavily on the old Raycom look.

IMG_20190708_003430.jpg

IMG_20190708_003502.jpg

IMG_20190708_003957.jpg

49 minutes ago, memnews said:

If you'll pardon the poor quality, here are some pictures and video from the 10PM. In addition to Helvetica on the regular graphics, I think that's Arial on the weather graphics. Also not a fan of how unnecessarily blocky and screen-clogging the weather scroll is. As you can see though, the rest of the weather graphics rely heavily on the old Raycom look.

IMG_20190708_003430.jpg

IMG_20190708_003502.jpg

IMG_20190708_003957.jpg

It does have that logo flyover that many Gray stations do.

22 minutes ago, AaronQ said:

Can't wait to see how Gray is gonna do WBTV honestly.

I'd agree with WBTV rollout.  Plus I'd be interested in seeing how Gray will do WVUE and WBRC as well.  Also if Gray plans for those 2 Fox stations to switch to "Beyond" music package with graphics makeover.

• 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread