The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread

NEOMatrix

I just saw the open to the 5:00 p.m. newscast on the station's live stream, and I'm getting vibes of the WGCL iteration of KPTV's graphics package, mixed with WOIO's original HD graphics. Also, when I heard the slogan, I thought "didn't WOIO use 'First. Fair. Everywhere.' before?," only to realize I confused it with "Honest. Fair. Everywhere."

Edited by T.L. Hughes

2 minutes ago, RGSJenkins said:

5pm open: 

Good look, but the first 30 seconds of that newscast is enough to make me want to change the channel. Shaky camera and the anchors seem a bit unsure of themselves. Plus, holding tablets looks d u m b. At least you can fold papers.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

I just saw the open to the 5:00 p.m. newscast on the station's live stream, and I'm getting vibes of the WGCL iteration of KPTV's graphics package, mixed with WOIO's original HD graphics. Also, when I heard the slogan, I thought "didn't WOIO use 'First. Fair. Everywhere.' before?," only to realize I confused it with "Honest. Fair. Everywhere."

It feels like another omen that Meredith will soon be swallowed up by Gray now that WOIO has this package.   The news supers still have the same layout and feel of the old Raycom look, but in the new colors.

But it looks good so far!  They still need a new set since the other one is so washed out by the lights and cramped, and I HATE the hand-held camera in the studio....they can't put it on a stedicam rig?

But it's good to have the "Action" back in "19 News!"

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Good look, but the first 30 seconds of that newscast is enough to make me want to change the channel. Shaky camera and the anchors seem a bit unsure of themselves. Plus, holding tablets looks d u m b. At least you can fold papers.

Give it a year. They'll be sitting at the desk in no time, just like during the Action News era. Now we just need is Tanchak to scare the weather to you in the evenings... 😂😂😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MidwestTV said:

I agree.  And somebody needs to give Chris Tanaka a cup of coffee.  His style is very bland for this reboot. 

They need to invest in some personalities to help pull this off.  It is like they’re pressing the “undo button” and going back to the future...but new graphics aren’t going to fix the poor production and bland anchors.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

I agree.  And somebody needs to give Chris Tanaka a cup of coffee.  His style is very bland for this reboot. 

They need to invest in some personalities to help pull this off.  It is like they’re pressing the “undo button” and going back to the future...but new graphics aren’t going to fix the poor production and bland anchors.

They had personalities like David Wittman and Denise Dufala (the former elder statesman of WOIO), but Raycom went cheap and decided to rely on Tucker and Tanaka for its newscasts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

Tiffani Tucker is sort of like a low-budget version of Romona Robinson.  

Being a who's who of poached Cleveland TV personalities alone wasn't going to work, so they all got slashed from the budget by the time they realized they've doped down the product too much...

At least they weren't this desperate...

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, RGSJenkins said:

5pm open: 

Rhetorical question, but why on Earth is the camera shoulder mount and not a normal studio camera? Looks unprofessional and good luck trying to read a prompter like that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Tiffani Tucker is sort of like a low-budget version of Romona Robinson.  

Haha... I can't believe she's been with 19 for more than 10 years!  And it's funny how we're harkening back to "19 Action News" as a "success" - particularly since "Cleveland 19" was such a snooze!

Cleveland is a funny TV market. It seems 19 and 3 basically traded their entire stable of personalities over the past 5 years.  Lynna Lai, Danielle Serino, Dawn Kendrick for Romona Robinson, Lydia Esparra and Mark Nolan.  And they all lost their personalities in the process! 

If they want to bring the "Action" back into 19, they need someone with some personality...

"Calling Danielle Serino from her Jim Donavan sidekick role at Channel 3......!"    (Oh WKYC, talk about a station with a deep bench of talent yet so few newscasts. But I digress.)

• Like 2

FTVlive's take....New look, same crap

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/4/9/look-look-same-crap

I'd have to agree with him.  You can change the graphics all you want, it's the content that needs to be fixed....and the hand held shot HAS. GOT. TO. GO....NOW!

But even a crummy newscast can be made just a little better with a decent look, music and presentation.  But it does seem Gray is fixated on research that chases their ideal viewer while the station that wins just covers the news, plain and simple.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 5

• 24994J changed the title to The Ever-Evolving Gray Graphics Situation...Thread