Streaming Newscast

jbjimbo

wcbs's new promos state that wcbstv.com is the fastest growing new york news website.

if only their newscasts grew like that.

i believe the streaming is all part of the cbs news doing streaming.

personally, i find it overly laggy, and seeing as the streaming is not firefox compatible, i find it tedious to go into ie just to watch. the one time i did, i watched the news at noon on cable at the same time, really, it shouldn't be a full minute behind what I am seeing on tv, because that means that when it says "live" that is a lie because they are nearing the 90second to 2 minutes since it happened.

The reason that the internet stream is delayed (I've found that it's about 45 seconds) compared to the TV broadcast has to do with the way the technology works. I'm sure someone else on this board can explain it but, from what I can tell, all TV and radio live streams are about 45 seconds behind the actual broadcast.

Nobody's lying.

I do some streaming myself and my understanding behind the streaming delay is that your computer will first buffer the video for a few seconds (sometimes up to 30 secs or so). My understanding is what its really doing is recording it during that time and when its done buffering you start watching where it started and it keeps recording. Its kinda like if you had a Tivo. I think the purpose behind this is that if its a slower connection it would have to stop so frequently to reload because you'd be watching faster than it could download. At least thats my understanding, someone else might have a better understanding.

And referring to the word "live," i think it will just become known that online it has a little different meaning because of that buffering delay. Then again TV isnt always live either. You've may have a transmission delay (though not usally) or the station might delay it for FCC purposes (just ask CBS).

Remember Broadcast.com?

That site had a lot of live and archived news. And if my memory seem right, WABC had a live and archived newscast in the late 90's and 2000's. In Los Angeles, KABC was the first to have a live and archive newscasts but it was not on broadcast.com.

Archived