Old WTMJ studio floor plans

doublejman69

I know there is a lot of Milwaukee people here but I don't know if this is a interest to alot. This is a article from probably the 1950's about WTMJ's color programming and studios. WTMJ was one of the first stations to produce/air programs in color https://visions4netjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/journal/WTMJ-TV-PDF-part-one.pdf 

On page 52 you can see the buildings floor plan from the 50's, there were 2 additions both on the west side of the building or to the left of the picture since then. Some of Studio A is now the weather center, studio C is now studios for radio and everything to the right of that is for radio except for studio D. Parts of studio B was one time used for PAX 55.

And here is tour of the Journal Newspaper building in downtown and Radio City Building from the same time period. https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Station-Promos/Milwaukee-Journal-WTMJ-Tour.pdf

I believe there is a floorplan of the building somewhere online from 1963 (when the round studio was built) that's more accurate to the layout of the current building (minus the rather tacked-on late 80's expansion that now houses the TV newsroom.)

The TV control room in those pictures was a conference room last I heard. The room Fig. 10 was taken from was an announcer's booth that now houses computer networking equipment. Unfortunately, someone thought it was a good idea to board up the windows that overlooked the studio, so the conference room just has a massive blank wall that would otherwise give you a nice view of Studio D.

all of the former "a" studios and master control are now the sales dept... was the newsroom until early this year... the weather center is in part of the old control room for the "new" studio a...

when i was there... b1 studio was the sports department office... did they move them into the new newsroom? b1 control was the 90's tape library and the "mail room" was a miscellaneous room that radio was using for facebook stuff...

so many odd little rooms in that building that used to be "something"... "c2 control room" on the second floor has electrical boxes on the wall that still have labels on them for old TV equipment...

will be a shame if radio moves out and scripps downsizes...

Archived