NBC trades away SB LV (Tampa 2021) to CBS for LVI (LA 2022)

TheFizzle21

Yes...you read that right: two networks traded their rights to air their next broadcasts at the big game itself. Not sure where this story fits considering we're between seasons and the fact that this concerns the two Super Bowls after Fox does LIV next year, but here it is:

https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/super-bowl-trade-nbc-winter-olympics-cbs.html

I think it's a brilliant plan.

It keeps CBS from battling NBC's still-hugely-rated Winter Olympics coverage, and the Peacock will have perhaps the strongest February sweeps it's had either in years or decades (if not ever).

I will agree this news is shocking and unprecedented, and I love every bit of bit.

It's not unprecedented. NBC was supposed to air Super Bowl XXVI in 1992 and CBS was supposed to air Super Bowl XXVII in 1993, but the two networks traded them so CBS could pair XXVI with their Winter Olympics coverage.

S

2 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

I wonder if another element is that the delays of the new stadium in LA led them to switch from LXV to LXVI.

Super bowl 65 and 66?!? Are you sure the broadcast networks will be around for that? Hell, even Netflix might not be around.

7 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Plus, this puts Super Bowl LV in 2021 on CBS and then next month, BOOM ... March Madness.

Though it means I'll have to wait an additional year for NBC to have the Super Bowl (best network that does it IMO), the 2021 combo of this and the big dance is always a W. Just hope LV isn't another doozy. Kind of a bummer CBS has fallen on bad luck with less than memorable games their last 2 Super Bowls.

The most shocking thing I got from this article is a link to another article saying that the NFL is thinking of shaking up the Sunday afternoon packages so that they are not conference-centric, possible adding a third network to Sunday afternoons, and allowing all the networks to show double headers: https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/nfl-considering-shaking-up-sunday-afternoon-broadcasts-ending-nfc-afc-packages.html

I think the NFL is starting to realize that with streaming and other options that people are willing to seek out the games they want to see. (At least I hope they are.)

Now if we could only get Sunday Ticket at a reasonable price and without having to have DirecTV...

Archived