Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
east-tx-tv

2019-20 Syndication News

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

...It'd be interesting to see whether NBC O&O's are looking to expand local news line-up (either adding half-hour 7PM newscast, Access air at 7:30PM... Or 6PM news expanded to full hour, NBC Nightly News moved to 7PM, and Access at 7:30PM... Or half-hour 7:30PM newscast, similar to what Tribune experimented with in mid 90s at a couple of its stations)... Or NBC could explore acquiring a different newsmagazine show to replace Extra, or give something new a test run.  Or if People TV proves successful for Meredith group, I could see NBC showing interest in acquiring and expanding it to additional markets.

According to a B&C article, this may be an answer to EXTRA's replacement on NBC Stations.

"...NBC also is said to be looking at launching a live true-crime series to fill the slots being vacated by Extra in those seven markets. Neither Lopez’ move nor the new show has been officially confirmed by either Warner Bros. or NBCUniversal, however, and Lopez’ contract with Extra runs through this summer."

Could they bring a (new) mini version of crime watch daily, ahem, true crime daily that somehow has prospered since it left syndication last season. Below, its past stories uploaded daily on YT garners over 100k views, some up to 1M. It also recently released its own podcast. My thought process was they're gonna launch a 7p news a la WRC WBTS.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC69uYUqvx-vw4luuX7aHNLQ/

 

Shifting gears though, any development on Steve Harvey's talk show? Where it's going beyond this season?

Edited by justin2kx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, justin2kx said:

According to a B&C article, this may be an answer to EXTRA's replacement on NBC Stations.

"...NBC also is said to be looking at launching a live true-crime series to fill the slots being vacated by Extra in those seven markets. Neither Lopez’ move nor the new show has been officially confirmed by either Warner Bros. or NBCUniversal, however, and Lopez’ contract with Extra runs through this summer."

Could they bring a (new) mini version of crime watch daily, ahem, true crime daily that somehow has prospered since it left syndication last season. Below, its past stories uploaded daily on YT garners over 100k views, some up to 1M. It also recently released its own podcast. My thought process was they're gonna launch a 7p news a la WRC.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC69uYUqvx-vw4luuX7aHNLQ/

 

Shifting gears though, any development on Steve Harvey's talk show? Where it's going beyond this season?

Where was it said that WRC is launching a 7PM.  They clear NN at 7pm. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently, in Dallas-Fort Worth, KDFW airs Access at 6:30pm, while KXAS shows Extra then.  If KDFW starts airing Extra in the fall, wouldn't KXAS be interested in having Access (an NBCU show) on to replace Extra since KDFW wouldn't have the 6:30pm slot available to air Access anymore?  The only timeframes KDFW would have for Access, were it to be retained, would be mid-afternoon before Judge Judy, or late late at night after the news and TMZ and Dish Nation.  I can't see some dumb true-crime thing doing any better up against the other mags and Wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they'd be better off going with news at 7pm. A new true crime show is not going to bring in ratings against other established syndicated shows. NBC should either acquire an established show like Family Feud or just add news at 7. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, B2r4a6n said:

I think they'd be better off going with news at 7pm. A new true crime show is not going to bring in ratings against other established syndicated shows. NBC should either acquire an established show like Family Feud or just add news at 7. 

 

Family Feud wouldn't be a bad fit for the O&Os, now that you think about it. It keeps Steve Harvey around, and it's a formidable competitor against the 300-pound gorillas known as Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy in some markets.

 

Also, WCAU and KXAS had FF for a time not too long ago.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

 

Family Feud wouldn't be a bad fit for the O&Os, now that you think about it. It keeps Steve Harvey around, and it's a formidable competitor against the 300-pound gorillas known as Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy in some markets.

 

Also, WCAU and KXAS had FF for a time not too long ago.

 

A "formidable competitor"? It's had ratings higher than Wheel or Jeopardy for most, if not all, of the past 4-5 seasons!

 

Family Feud would be a WONDERFUL fit for the NBC O&Os!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Where was it said that WRC is launching a 7PM.  They clear NN at 7pm. 

Sorry, got a little ahead of myself. Miscalculated in my mind their local news output. Edited out for "WBTS" instead in my post above.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, justin2kx said:

According to a B&C article, this may be an answer to EXTRA's replacement on NBC Stations.

"...NBC also is said to be looking at launching a live true-crime series to fill the slots being vacated by Extra in those seven markets. Neither Lopez’ move nor the new show has been officially confirmed by either Warner Bros. or NBCUniversal, however, and Lopez’ contract with Extra runs through this summer."

Could they bring a (new) mini version of crime watch daily, ahem, true crime daily that somehow has prospered since it left syndication last season. Below, its past stories uploaded daily on YT garners over 100k views, some up to 1M. It also recently released its own podcast. My thought process was they're gonna launch a 7p news a la WRC WBTS.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC69uYUqvx-vw4luuX7aHNLQ/

 

Shifting gears though, any development on Steve Harvey's talk show? Where it's going beyond this season?

 

I can see Scripps replacing "The List" (whose production had been taking over by Katz Networks from KNXV Phoenix not too long ago) with a new version of "Court TV: Inside America's Courts," but not all Scripps markets carry Court TV on Scripps stations.

Edited by TVIntheDesert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

 

Family Feud wouldn't be a bad fit for the O&Os, now that you think about it. It keeps Steve Harvey around, and it's a formidable competitor against the 300-pound gorillas known as Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy in some markets.

 

Also, WCAU and KXAS had FF for a time not too long ago.

 

True, but Family Feud they don’t own or produce and don’t they have to clear both hours? Most O&Os the only non NBCU connected show is Ellen.   Though some do clear Dr. Oz or Rachel Ray. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

 

True, but Family Feud they don’t own or produce and don’t they have to clear both hours? Most O&Os the only non NBCU connected show is Ellen.   Though some do clear Dr. Oz or Rachel Ray. 

KNSD has Wheel and J! as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TheOneManHerd said:

KNSD has Wheel and J! as well.

 

most of the Disney/ABC O&Os still have those.  KGO for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know KTVT & KTXA (CBS O&O) has J! at 6:00PM (21) and Wheel at 6:30PM (11). But what about other CBS O&O carrying J! and/or Wheel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

I know KTVT & KTXA (CBS O&O) has J! at 6:00PM (21) and Wheel at 6:30PM (11). But what about other CBS O&O carrying J! and/or Wheel?

WCCO has Wheel, but not J! (that’s on KARE). WBZ has both.

Edited by TheOneManHerd
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know whether Boston CBS O&O (WBZ-WSBK) carries Wheel and Jeopardy either.

 

I notice Access Live hour-long daytime show isn't seen in a lot of markets it seems.  Unless NBC gives its stations the freedom to air syndicated and local shows of their choosing.  Ellen's pretty much been a staple to NBC O&O's for just about her shows entire run.

Fox O&O markets that air TMZ on TV do good to carry TMZ Live daytime show.  Not sure if it's a contractual obligation.  I'd imagine Extra will be replacing canceled Page Six TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Darius22 said:

 

most of the Disney/ABC O&Os still have those.  KGO for example.

I know KTRK has exactly one of WoF/J! and has had it since 2015.

Back when they were O&Os, neither WTVG nor WJRT had either show (though WJRT did have both as late as 1992).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, let's not turn this into a game of "who carries Wheel and Jeopardy!"

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 4:53 PM, justin2kx said:

Shifting gears though, any development on Steve Harvey's talk show? Where it's going beyond this season?

 

Nowhere. It's being canned. Taped its final show yesterday. Will be airing repeats throughout the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, justin2kx said:

any development on Steve Harvey's talk show?

 

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

It's being canned.

Well, it was a good experinent for Harvey to take a different direction for his talker. But the viewers liked that it was advice-based in Chicago, and the changes didn't work long-term. Oh well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

 

Well, it was a good experinent for Harvey to take a different direction for his talker. But the viewers liked that it was advice-based in Chicago, and the changes didn't work long-term. Oh well.

 

Seems like shows taped at the NBC Tower (with the exception of Judge Mathis) don’t last long there. I wonder why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 5:20 PM, atlnewsfan03 said:

I don't know whether Boston CBS O&O (WBZ-WSBK) carries Wheel and Jeopardy either.

 

I notice Access Live hour-long daytime show isn't seen in a lot of markets it seems.  Unless NBC gives its stations the freedom to air syndicated and local shows of their choosing.  Ellen's pretty much been a staple to NBC O&O's for just about her shows entire run.

Fox O&O markets that air TMZ on TV do good to carry TMZ Live daytime show.  Not sure if it's a contractual obligation.  I'd imagine Extra will be replacing canceled Page Six TV.

 

Yes it does. WBZ has Wheel at 7:00pm and J! at 7:30pm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

 

Seems like shows taped at the NBC Tower (with the exception of Judge Mathis) don’t last long there. I wonder why.

Don't forget the Jenny Jones show (which lasted 12 years) was taped there, and Springer's show was taped in Chicago at the NBC Tower from 1992-2009 (when NBCU moved the show to Connecticut to take advantage of the state's film production tax credit, among other reasons).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, J1975am said:

Don't forget the Jenny Jones show (which lasted 12 years) was taped there, and Springer's show was taped in Chicago at the NBC Tower from 1992-2009 (when NBCU moved the show to Connecticut to take advantage of the state's film production tax credit, among other reasons).

 

I meant recent new productions like Steve Harvey.

Edited by Georgie56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

 

I meant recent new productions like Steve Harvey.

Oh, OK. I hadn’t thought of that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Glad to see Billy Bush get his second chance I didn't get why Billy was fired from Today once the video leaked in 2016 election as I believe NBC knew of the tape since 2005 and did nothing.

 

Wheel & J have been on WWMT since the fall of 93 Wheel at 7PM & J at 7:30PM.

Edited by Megatron81
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.