2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

5 hours ago, justin2kx said:

According to a B&C article, this may be an answer to EXTRA's replacement on NBC Stations.

"...NBC also is said to be looking at launching a live true-crime series to fill the slots being vacated by Extra in those seven markets. Neither Lopez’ move nor the new show has been officially confirmed by either Warner Bros. or NBCUniversal, however, and Lopez’ contract with Extra runs through this summer."

Could they bring a (new) mini version of crime watch daily, ahem, true crime daily that somehow has prospered since it left syndication last season. Below, its past stories uploaded daily on YT garners over 100k views, some up to 1M. It also recently released its own podcast. My thought process was they're gonna launch a 7p news a la WRC.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC69uYUqvx-vw4luuX7aHNLQ/

Shifting gears though, any development on Steve Harvey's talk show? Where it's going beyond this season?

Where was it said that WRC is launching a 7PM.  They clear NN at 7pm. 

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently, in Dallas-Fort Worth, KDFW airs Access at 6:30pm, while KXAS shows Extra then.  If KDFW starts airing Extra in the fall, wouldn't KXAS be interested in having Access (an NBCU show) on to replace Extra since KDFW wouldn't have the 6:30pm slot available to air Access anymore?  The only timeframes KDFW would have for Access, were it to be retained, would be mid-afternoon before Judge Judy, or late late at night after the news and TMZ and Dish Nation.  I can't see some dumb true-crime thing doing any better up against the other mags and Wheel.

I think they'd be better off going with news at 7pm. A new true crime show is not going to bring in ratings against other established syndicated shows. NBC should either acquire an established show like Family Feud or just add news at 7. 

50 minutes ago, B2r4a6n said:

I think they'd be better off going with news at 7pm. A new true crime show is not going to bring in ratings against other established syndicated shows. NBC should either acquire an established show like Family Feud or just add news at 7. 

Family Feud wouldn't be a bad fit for the O&Os, now that you think about it. It keeps Steve Harvey around, and it's a formidable competitor against the 300-pound gorillas known as Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy in some markets.

Also, WCAU and KXAS had FF for a time not too long ago.

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Family Feud wouldn't be a bad fit for the O&Os, now that you think about it. It keeps Steve Harvey around, and it's a formidable competitor against the 300-pound gorillas known as Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy in some markets.

A "formidable competitor"? It's had ratings higher than Wheel or Jeopardy for most, if not all, of the past 4-5 seasons!

Family Feud would be a WONDERFUL fit for the NBC O&Os!

13 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Where was it said that WRC is launching a 7PM.  They clear NN at 7pm. 

Sorry, got a little ahead of myself. Miscalculated in my mind their local news output. Edited out for "WBTS" instead in my post above.

19 hours ago, justin2kx said:

According to a B&C article, this may be an answer to EXTRA's replacement on NBC Stations.

"...NBC also is said to be looking at launching a live true-crime series to fill the slots being vacated by Extra in those seven markets. Neither Lopez’ move nor the new show has been officially confirmed by either Warner Bros. or NBCUniversal, however, and Lopez’ contract with Extra runs through this summer."

Could they bring a (new) mini version of crime watch daily, ahem, true crime daily that somehow has prospered since it left syndication last season. Below, its past stories uploaded daily on YT garners over 100k views, some up to 1M. It also recently released its own podcast. My thought process was they're gonna launch a 7p news a la WRC WBTS.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC69uYUqvx-vw4luuX7aHNLQ/

Shifting gears though, any development on Steve Harvey's talk show? Where it's going beyond this season?

I can see Scripps replacing "The List" (whose production had been taking over by Katz Networks from KNXV Phoenix not too long ago) with a new version of "Court TV: Inside America's Courts," but not all Scripps markets carry Court TV on Scripps stations.

7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

True, but Family Feud they don’t own or produce and don’t they have to clear both hours? Most O&Os the only non NBCU connected show is Ellen.   Though some do clear Dr. Oz or Rachel Ray. 

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

True, but Family Feud they don’t own or produce and don’t they have to clear both hours? Most O&Os the only non NBCU connected show is Ellen.   Though some do clear Dr. Oz or Rachel Ray. 

KNSD has Wheel and J! as well.

14 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

I know KTVT & KTXA (CBS O&O) has J! at 6:00PM (21) and Wheel at 6:30PM (11). But what about other CBS O&O carrying J! and/or Wheel?

WCCO has Wheel, but not J! (that’s on KARE). WBZ has both.

I don't know whether Boston CBS O&O (WBZ-WSBK) carries Wheel and Jeopardy either.

I notice Access Live hour-long daytime show isn't seen in a lot of markets it seems.  Unless NBC gives its stations the freedom to air syndicated and local shows of their choosing.  Ellen's pretty much been a staple to NBC O&O's for just about her shows entire run.

Fox O&O markets that air TMZ on TV do good to carry TMZ Live daytime show.  Not sure if it's a contractual obligation.  I'd imagine Extra will be replacing canceled Page Six TV.

31 minutes ago, Darius22 said:

most of the Disney/ABC O&Os still have those.  KGO for example.

I know KTRK has exactly one of WoF/J! and has had it since 2015.

Back when they were O&Os, neither WTVG nor WJRT had either show (though WJRT did have both as late as 1992).

On 5/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, justin2kx said:

any development on Steve Harvey's talk show?

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

It's being canned.

Well, it was a good experinent for Harvey to take a different direction for his talker. But the viewers liked that it was advice-based in Chicago, and the changes didn't work long-term. Oh well.

5 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

Well, it was a good experinent for Harvey to take a different direction for his talker. But the viewers liked that it was advice-based in Chicago, and the changes didn't work long-term. Oh well.

Seems like shows taped at the NBC Tower (with the exception of Judge Mathis) don’t last long there. I wonder why.

On 5/9/2019 at 5:20 PM, atlnewsfan03 said:

I don't know whether Boston CBS O&O (WBZ-WSBK) carries Wheel and Jeopardy either.

I notice Access Live hour-long daytime show isn't seen in a lot of markets it seems.  Unless NBC gives its stations the freedom to air syndicated and local shows of their choosing.  Ellen's pretty much been a staple to NBC O&O's for just about her shows entire run.

Fox O&O markets that air TMZ on TV do good to carry TMZ Live daytime show.  Not sure if it's a contractual obligation.  I'd imagine Extra will be replacing canceled Page Six TV.

Yes it does. WBZ has Wheel at 7:00pm and J! at 7:30pm.

19 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Seems like shows taped at the NBC Tower (with the exception of Judge Mathis) don’t last long there. I wonder why.

Don't forget the Jenny Jones show (which lasted 12 years) was taped there, and Springer's show was taped in Chicago at the NBC Tower from 1992-2009 (when NBCU moved the show to Connecticut to take advantage of the state's film production tax credit, among other reasons).

3 hours ago, J1975am said:

Don't forget the Jenny Jones show (which lasted 12 years) was taped there, and Springer's show was taped in Chicago at the NBC Tower from 1992-2009 (when NBCU moved the show to Connecticut to take advantage of the state's film production tax credit, among other reasons).

I meant recent new productions like Steve Harvey.

Glad to see Billy Bush get his second chance I didn't get why Billy was fired from Today once the video leaked in 2016 election as I believe NBC knew of the tape since 2005 and did nothing.

Wheel & J have been on WWMT since the fall of 93 Wheel at 7PM & J at 7:30PM.

46 minutes ago, G2000 said:

With the gymnastics to keep the million from being rewarded/budget wrecked and the declining tax incentive-influenced tape locations from New York>Stamford>Vegas (next stop could have been the old Pickler & Ben studio in Nashville down the line, and eventually Toronto), this was a mercy killing at this point.

Not syndicated, but pretty much awaiting news on Strahan & Sara...that has to come next week.

Archived