2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

I sense a LOT of 4PM and 7PM newscasts on the air in fall 2021...

And maybe some 3pm ones as well...since she's been bumped there in several places, in BOTH Eastern and Central time!

As for the "repeats", they could inflict some damage on the netlet or independent stations loaded with other courtroom shows...

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her quote in the THR article makes it sound like the new show is going to start in the fall of 2022, not 2021. "But I'm not tired, so Judy Justice will be coming out a year later." That sounds to me like Judy Justice is coming out a year after the Judge Judy originals end, so it doesn't look the new show will be a direct replacement for the current one on existing affiliates. Plus there's no guarantee it'll be syndicated. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not. Let;s not get too far ahead of our ourselves.

1 hour ago, ScottJ said:

Her quote in the THR article makes it sound like the new show is going to start in the fall of 2022, not 2021. "But I'm not tired, so Judy Justice will be coming out a year later." That sounds to me like Judy Justice is coming out a year after the Judge Judy originals end, so it doesn't look the new show will be a direct replacement for the current one on existing affiliates. Plus there's no guarantee it'll be syndicated. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not. Let;s not get too far ahead of our ourselves.

41 minutes ago, nickp said:

At least we'll have the re-runs of Judge Judy forever!

Yeah I bet WCNC will hang on to the reruns as long as they are available even though they could replace her at 12:30 with a second run of Jeopardy or an expanded noon newscast, as I speculated above.

7 hours ago, ScottJ said:

I think I've figured out where Judy's new show will end up...

Spoiler

CBS All Access

29 minutes ago, kfc513 said:

I think I've figured out where Judy's new show will end up...

Reveal hidden contents

CBS All Access

For a show that is formatted to run 5 times a week (w/maybe 170-200 episodes a season)??? I don't see that happening.....

49 minutes ago, J1975am said:

For a show that is formatted to run 5 times a week (w/maybe 170-200 episodes a season)??? I don't see that happening.....

Who says the new show is going to be a daily strip? Given that Judy is 77 years old (and will be closer to 80 when the new show starts filming), she may not want to do that many episodes in a season anymore. Maybe it'll be more of a weekly series, which would open up the possibility of it ending up in network primetime. Going back to my point in my previous post, there are a lot of unanswered questions about Judy Justice, which is why it's too early to speculate too much about who is going to air it. I wouldn't rule anything out until we know more.

30 minutes ago, J1975am said:

If it turns out to be true, then Judy Justice could produce less episodes than Judge Judy - maybe around 13-20 episodes per season.

Variety is reporting that Judy Justice may go to either streaming or on the cable side not sure where exactly it might land yet.

Also Judy has teamed up with former CBS executive Scott Koondel to handle the sales for the new show.

For the Judge Judy fans that love the current format of the show, good news. That format will be retained. Bad news, it won't be on Broadcast TV.

5 hours ago, Kriston Lewis said:

I watched the Ellen interview. I got a sense that the decision to end the show wasn’t entirely hers.

I think the writing was on the wall that Judge Judy was going to end the moment CBS bought Judy's library of shows, it was just that CBS wanted to wait until the contract with Judy expires after the 25th season to then pull the plug on her show.

It could also be that Judy and CBS decided to part ways which is understandable considering the relationship between the 2 over the last couple of years has been a rocky one.

Take it with whatever salt size you prefer, but TMZ is pushing that when Les Moonves got pushed out, the new guard pretty much decided to play 'ignore the talent' and refused to work with Judy on anything or pilot the projects she was pushing since he was out. And I have a very big feeling she was not very receptive to the meddlers she lost in the Viacom/CBS split returning in the re-merger, so don't expect that reboot on a network like Pop or TV Land, either. Looking back a few years at the Judge Joe Brown situation, they haven't done much at Big Ticket TV to improve how they handle their stars and it bit them once again.

The biggest winner i see in this, honestly, may be Kelly Clarkson; outside the NBC O&O's and some outliers, her and Ellen usually air on separate stations, with Judy on the other station standing. She's got momentum in her first season, and NBC might be thinking of upgrades if those stations react the same way to being pushed Judy reruns like CW affiliates feel having to air that hour of Springer repeats for time immaterial.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:07 PM, tw-804 said:

Syndie roundup:

Follow that up with Steve Wilkos also renewed for two more years:

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/steve-wilkos-joins-maury-with-two-season-renewal

Re: Judge Judy situation: Reminds me in a way of when original producers of It's showtime at the apollo, left to start a rival called 'Showtime in Harlem' after a dispute with the Apollo Theater Foundation in 2002. 'Showtime' was actually produced at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. It later moved to LA + rebranded as 'Live in Hollywood' for one season in 2003 with Kiki Shepard as host. Meanwhile Showtime at Apollo subsequently continued at the famed theater with comedienne Monique at the helm in 2002.

On a different note, a new judge will helm at Divorce Court. Judge Faith Jenkins (formerly of 'Judge Faith') will succeed Lynn Toler, who stepped down on her own terms after 13 years a while back. Show also moved from Tyler Perry Studios to midtown Atlanta, at Georgia Public Broadcasting Studios. 

https://deadline.com/2020/03/faith-jenkins-joins-divorce-court-new-judge-succeeds-long-time-star-lynn-toler-exits-1202875118/

31 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

In a different type of syndication news, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune have announced they will be taping episodes without a studio audience for the time being, due to coronavirus concerns. I wonder if other shows will follow suit.

Seems like the biggest reason in the case of Jeopardy! seems to center around Alex Trebek's health and safety since he's more at risk at contracting COVID-19 due to his immune system being weaker.

Wheel seems to be taking precautions over COVID-19 at this point.

1 hour ago, ScottJ said:

In a different type of syndication news, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune have announced they will be taping episodes without a studio audience for the time being, due to coronavirus concerns. I wonder if other shows will follow suit.

Get ready for canned applause to return after the three Vanna-hosted weeks.

4 hours ago, ScottJ said:

It'll be interesting to see if the CBS game shows would just shut down for the season if it gets to that point; their entire reason for being is audience interaction and TPiR and LMAD are game shows which just cannot run without an audience. Talk shows could go on easily (it looks like Kelly has a whole bunch of episodes banked to the end of April to work with her multiple commitments since I saw Bellamy Young from Prodigal Son posting about an interview which won't air until that show's mid-April finale), but live shows like Wendy and The View would be much more iffy without an audience to bounce off of.

22 hours ago, ScottJ said:

Add Wendy Williams Show to the mix. I have a feeling this is only a start, NOT a blip :

https://www.thewrap.com/the-wendy-williams-show-to-tape-without-live-audience-due-to-coronavirus/

18 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

It'll be interesting to see if the CBS game shows would just shut down for the season if it gets to that point; their entire reason for being is audience interaction and TPiR and LMAD are game shows which just cannot run without an audience. Talk shows could go on easily (it looks like Kelly has a whole bunch of episodes banked to the end of April to work with her multiple commitments since I saw Bellamy Young from Prodigal Son posting about an interview which won't air until that show's mid-April finale), but live shows like Wendy and The View would be much more iffy without an audience to bounce off of.

LMAD has already wrapped production for this season. Price is still in production, so if they take any action, I would guess they'd stop taping indefinitely and go into reruns.

Dr. Phil and Sunday's Biden-Sanders debate are also going audience-less, per Deadline. The New York Post seems to think Live with Kelly and Ryan, Tamron Hall, GMA's 2nd hour, and The View will join them. That could be a pretty big blow to some of the game shows ABC tapes in New York too if it lasts - and isn't Jimmy Kimmel taping a new Millionaire this week too?

Archived