2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

ES.TV is now airing at 2:30AM T-S on WXSP. I don't think Good Dish will be airing this year maybe for 2021 I didn't hear any TV station group that was going to lunch it although I heard that Nexstar was in talks to air Good Dish that was back in Jan week before syndie shows go to Miami to sell for fall in a given year. I think that Drew Barrymore show may go to Fox17 maybe replace The Mel Robbins Show maybe WZZM in the death slot of 10AM nothing works at that time maybe they just keep Access Daily at 10AM, I'm thinking Nick Cannon goes to either CW7 or WXSP just will have to wait and see when promos start rolling out in late July/early Aug.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really don’t know if there will be that many changes in Charlotte unless some shows switch stations. Only two confirmed talk shows set to premiere and WMYT and WAXN the only stations with daytime hours to fill, two hours each with the cancellations of Caught in Providence, America Says, Mel Robbins and the Doctors. I imagine something on WJZY will slide over to WMYT and WJZY will pick up one of the shows. WAXN could get the other.

2 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Really don’t know if there will be that many changes in Charlotte unless some shows switch stations. Only two confirmed talk shows set to premiere and WMYT and WAXN the only stations with daytime hours to fill, two hours each with the cancellations of Caught in Providence, America Says, Mel Robbins and the Doctors. I imagine something on WJZY will slide over to WMYT and WJZY will pick up one of the shows. WAXN could get the other.

I haven't seen any word on Doctors or Providence cancelled. Confirmed or speculation?

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

I thought it was reported a while back.

3 hours ago, KS-IL-IA said:

I haven't seen any word on Doctors or Providence cancelled. Confirmed or speculation?

I stumbled on this website, not up to date because it doesn’t show confirmed renewals for some shows, just that they are in the process of being renewed, and info is subject to change, but it appears you are correct on The Doctors, it seems to have been signed for next year and it says it is in the process of being renewed. Caught in Providence is crossed out though.

Two and a Half Men, The Game, Madam Secretary and NCIS New Orleans appear to be leaving syndication according to that site. (And Chicago PD, another hour for WMYT to fill)

Also some shows on that list were cancelled (God Friended Me, Man With a Plan and Single Parents) and won’t make it to syndication).

I saw an update of the syndicated schedule for 2020-21 and it looks like reruns of the former MSNBC weekend staple Lockup won't air starting this fall. National Geographic picked up reruns earlier this year and aired it all day on Fridays, but for the past few weeks, they've not aired any episodes. I wonder if this shows has been pulled completely just like Cops and Live PD?

Katz has recently updated its listings, although goners like Mel Robbins and America Says are still listed:

https://info.katzmedia.com/natpe-2020-preview?hsLang=en&__hstc=217163081.c8934c808c43d35c585ab9d3f6b7025a.1593462746996.1593462746996.1593462746996.1&__hssc=217163081.2.1593462746996&__hsfp=611629719

It has Good Dish starting in 2021; Providence, How I Met Your Mother, Chicago PD and The Game not returning -- plus, of course, Cops and Live PD.

20 minutes ago, KS-IL-IA said:

Katz has recently updated its listings, although goners like Mel Robbins and America Says are still listed:

https://info.katzmedia.com/natpe-2020-preview?hsLang=en&__hstc=217163081.c8934c808c43d35c585ab9d3f6b7025a.1593462746996.1593462746996.1593462746996.1&__hssc=217163081.2.1593462746996&__hsfp=611629719

It has Good Dish starting in 2021; Providence, How I Met Your Mother, Chicago PD and The Game not returning -- plus, of course, Cops and Live PD.

Interesting that for the Conners it is listed Roseanne 2.0/The Conners...would they really include the Roseanne 2.0 episodes if it reaches syndication? Especially since Cozi has already aired them with the original Roseanne. They would probably retitle them The Conners...but still surprising.

1 hour ago, KS-IL-IA said:

A couple other thoughts...

I don’t see Millionaire listed...why would they go to that trouble of bringing it back so late and then just dropping it?

With The Game and How I Met Your Mother leaving syndication...a chance for WCCB or WAXN to finally get Last Man Standing cleared in  Charlotte. And maybe the Simpsons comes back to the market, it would be a perfect fit paired with Family Guy and Bob’s Burgers on WAXN. Would love to see them move the Goldbergs back earlier in the day so those shows could be on a little earlier.

Just now, Nelson R. said:

I don’t see Millionaire listed...why would they go to that trouble of bringing it back so late and then just dropping it?

Millionaire is just there to fill space until fall. Doesn't look like Disney/Fox has any other 30-minute shows in the pipeline.

I wonder if MGM is cancelling some of the court shows? Looking over the Excel Spreadsheet that was provided by Katz it has Personal Injury and Protection Courts listed in bold.

That's leading me to think that MGM might be cancelling those 2 shows

22 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I wonder if MGM is cancelling some of the court shows? Looking over the Excel Spreadsheet that was provided by Katz it has Personal Injury and Protection Courts listed in bold.

That's leading me to think that MGM might be cancelling those 2 shows

The shows listed in bold are the first year shows. The cancelled shows are marked through (some of them, anyway).

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but it looks like CBSTVD is doing the same tone deaf thing with the late Jerry Bishop on Judge Judy that they did with Charlie O'Donnell on Wheel of Fortune when he died. They seem to be trying to fill the absence of VO's he couldn't do before he died with someone doing a really appalling imitation of him that is sub-Darrell Hammond as Don Pardo (and it was a newer episode; Judy had a reference to the Iowa caucus disaster in this one).

I know WoF just decided to cover up CO'D's VOs with their guest voices (which was ill-advised), but this wasn't much better; couldn't they have just given Judge Judy's promo guy the work instead to maintain some continuity?

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but it looks like CBSTVD is doing the same tone deaf thing with the late Jerry Bishop on Judge Judy that they did with Charlie O'Donnell on Wheel of Fortune when he died. They seem to be trying to fill the absence of VO's he couldn't do before he died with someone doing a really appalling imitation of him that is sub-Darrell Hammond as Don Pardo (and it was a newer episode; Judy had a reference to the Iowa caucus disaster in this one).

I know WoF just decided to cover up CO'D's VOs with their guest voices (which was ill-advised), but this wasn't much better; couldn't they have just given Judge Judy's promo guy the work instead to maintain some continuity?

The WoF matter was entirely Sony Pictures Television's decision; it's just a coincidence that the CBS-owned Judge Judy made the same decision. (What exactly is the benefit for the Sony game shows to stay with CBSTVD since Sony has its own distribution?)

11 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

The WoF matter was entirely Sony Pictures Television's decision; it's just a coincidence that the CBS-owned Judge Judy made the same decision. (What exactly is the benefit for the Sony game shows to stay with CBSTVD since Sony has its own distribution?)

Appropriate username, as I did make that error; thanks for the correction. 😂

The CBS relationship dates back to the days of King World well before Sony Pictures Television ever existed and Merv Griffin Productions needed someone to distribute their shows, so it's probably more not wanting to shake things up rather than going on their own.

Not surprised that The Good Dish isn't coming until 2021-22 fall season as that didn't get any interest this year like Drew Barrymore & Nick Cannon got although I think both had a tough time for time slots in afternoon in mid to small size TV markets. I was kinda surprised that Mel Robbins still had new EP's as I thought with COVID that her EP's would've ended in late May as I saw last week that she had new shows even know they were taped before everything shutdown. 

Updates from the Katz spreadsheet (dated 7/7):

• Disney will offer MILLIONAIRE repeats from the '18-'19 season to plug the hole left in the wake of COPS.
  • Dan Abrams (LIVE PD) and Litton are offering THE DAILY DEBRIEF, a 30-minute magazine repackaged off Abrams' Law & Crime Network, presumably as a de facto replacement for the off-A&E LIVE PD package.
  • MONK repeats are available as a weekend package from NBCU (swapped for the yanked LOCKUP?).

Between these tweaks and the pandemic uncertainty re: fall production, it seems like a much busier summer than usual for the typically sedate syndication marketplace.

1 hour ago, patlovestv said:

Updates from the Katz spreadsheet (dated 7/7):

• Dan Abrams (LIVE PD) and Litton are offering THE DAILY DEBRIEF, a 30-minute magazine repackaged off Abrams' Law & Crime Network, presumably as a de facto replacement for the off-A&E LIVE PD package.

I have not seen anybody take Debrief; outside the 'we'll air infomercials to survive' crowd, no station, not even in the middle of summer, is going to take a middling web show (especially one that seems to be out of date) as a replacement for a television production; if they did, it's in 3am contractual obligation territory. TMZ Live only exists because of its connection to TMZ. Also, Litton is distributing this, not Sony, so it's not a replacement.

10 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I have not seen anybody take Debrief; outside the 'we'll air infomercials to survive' crowd, no station, not even in the middle of summer, is going to take a middling web show (especially one that seems to be out of date) as a replacement for a television production; if they did, it's in 3am contractual obligation territory. TMZ Live only exists because of its connection to TMZ. Also, Litton is distributing this, not Sony, so it's not a replacement.

Thanks for clarifying. I think of Litton as primarily an E/I distributor, and was surprised to see their name attached to a strip.

29 minutes ago, patlovestv said:

Thanks for clarifying. I think of Litton as primarily an E/I distributor, and was surprised to see their name attached to a strip.

Would've made sense actually, given Hearst owning part of A&E and all of Litton.

On 5/27/2020 at 6:38 AM, scrabbleship said:

The fun thing about WFSB is when a timeslot goes to news, they almost certainly win it going forward. When they launched their 4:30 newscast, they instantly began beating WVIT and WTIC. I don't see them walking anything back given the magic touch they have.

I'll make this bold prediction: Their only outside syndication come this fall will be Kelly & Ryan. They've wanted to wash their hands of Dr. Oz so they could bring Better Connecticut back to where it was. I'm sure Tegna would gladly take IE/ET off of WFSB's hands and toss them on WTIC if given the chance. 

Not necessarily syndication related, but part of my prediction seems to be coming true. From the Instagram of Better Connecticut co-host/WFSB noon anchor Kara Sundlun, who celebrated 20 years there as of yesterday.

The Better concept lives and I'd put money down on it being back at 3:00 PM. When your talent on-air is saying a timeslot change/show reduction is "for the foreseeable future" on-air and off-air are saying "we'll eventually be back at 3:00" as soon as it took place, it shows that 4:00 was a stop-gap and that COVID gave them the chance to hype up a relaunch.

Now, to see what happens with the Inside Edition/ET pairing in the 7:00 hour. WFSB's 7:00 news has gone station app only (no NewsOn) but the feedback from the "Face the State" specials with Gov. Lamont was so positive that there are rumors they might become a regular thing. Good idea to cut their losses?

WXMI Fox17 is now airing The Now/Newsfeed at 7PM and the second run of Modern Family is airing at 12:30AM did air a COVID-19 special but that ended in late May at 7PM and Modern Family return being a full hour 7PM to 8PM. I think that The Now/Newsfeed should be in the 4PM or 5PM block to give the anchors a rest 5PM would be a good place for The Now/Newsfeed and go back to local news at 5:30PM to 7PM.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:46 PM, Megatron81 said:

WXMI Fox17 is now airing The Now/Newsfeed at 7PM and the second run of Modern Family is airing at 12:30AM did air a COVID-19 special but that ended in late May at 7PM and Modern Family return being a full hour 7PM to 8PM. I think that The Now/Newsfeed should be in the 4PM or 5PM block to give the anchors a rest 5PM would be a good place for The Now/Newsfeed and go back to local news at 5:30PM to 7PM.

Not happening, not while WWMT, WOOD and WZZM are also on at 5:00 p.m. and considering that WXMI has the market's only 3-hour local news block from 4:00-7:00 p.m. Its popular in major markets and so far, still is in West Michigan.

Archived