2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

4 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

From the sounds of things Inside Edition may be looking for a new home in Hartford and that 7pm newscast on WFSB is likely going to be permanent.

And it would be wise for WFSB to not air People TV anyway for obvious reasons

The fun thing about WFSB is when a timeslot goes to news, they almost certainly win it going forward. When they launched their 4:30 newscast, they instantly began beating WVIT and WTIC. I don't see them walking anything back given the magic touch they have.

I'll make this bold prediction: Their only outside syndication come this fall will be Kelly & Ryan. They've wanted to wash their hands of Dr. Oz so they could bring Better Connecticut back to where it was. I'm sure Tegna would gladly take IE/ET off of WFSB's hands and toss them on WTIC if given the chance. 

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

The fun thing about WFSB is when a timeslot goes to news, they almost certainly win it going forward. When they launched their 4:30 newscast, they instantly began beating WVIT and WTIC. I don't see them walking anything back given the magic touch they have.

I'll make this bold prediction: Their only outside syndication come this fall will be Kelly & Ryan. They've wanted to wash their hands of Dr. Oz so they could bring Better Connecticut back to where it was. I'm sure Tegna would gladly take IE/ET off of WFSB's hands and toss them on WTIC if given the chance. 

Bold prediction from me:

Oz, Inside Edition and Entertainment Tonight all move to WTIC this fall

2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Bold prediction from me:

Oz, Inside Edition and Entertainment Tonight all move to WTIC this fall

Inside Edition and ET would be an odd fit for a Fox affiliate. But we’ll see.

2 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Inside Edition and ET would be an odd fit for a Fox affiliate. But we’ll see.

Inside Edition: Debatable. I cite the years the show was in the wilderness in NYC - spending time on WNYW, WPIX, and WWOR - and Sunbeam buying the show for a Fox and an Independent as proof. With TMZ on WCTX

ET: WNAC and WFXT in markets bordering Boston would like a word with you. Both air it with TMZ in the 7:00 hour; WNAC picking it up after WLNE and CBS had their syndication spat, WFXT after Cox came in given the abysmal clearances they had (overnights on WSBK and an earlier clearance on WBIN).

Right now, WTIC is airing two hours of sitcoms between their early evening news block and Fox primetime, a legacy from Tribune ownership. I don't see Tegna tolerating this in the long term. Give Oz the Mel Robbins slot, slot IE/ET in the 7:00 hour, maybe play around and do 5-7 for news instead of 4-6 given how 4:00 has become a zoo of sorts while 6:30 is wide open. Win-win for all involved?

Hartford right now is a weird market for syndication between things not carried and things carried at odd times. This doesn't even get into the Archdiocese of Hartford - which once owned what was then WTXX and has a localized parallel to the Freeform/700 Club situation for their daily mass on WCCT - airing the same mass at the same time on WCTX.

3 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

Inside Edition: Debatable. I cite the years the show was in the wilderness in NYC - spending time on WNYW, WPIX, and WWOR - and Sunbeam buying the show for a Fox and an Independent as proof. With TMZ on WCTX

ET: WNAC and WFXT in markets bordering Boston would like a word with you. Both air it with TMZ in the 7:00 hour; WNAC picking it up after WLNE and CBS had their syndication spat, WFXT after Cox came in given the abysmal clearances they had (overnights on WSBK and an earlier clearance on WBIN).

Right now, WTIC is airing two hours of sitcoms between their early evening news block and Fox primetime, a legacy from Tribune ownership. I don't see Tegna tolerating this in the long term. Give Oz the Mel Robbins slot, slot IE/ET in the 7:00 hour, maybe play around and do 5-7 for news instead of 4-6 given how 4:00 has become a zoo of sorts while 6:30 is wide open. Win-win for all involved?

Hartford right now is a weird market for syndication between things not carried and things carried at odd times. This doesn't even get into the Archdiocese of Hartford - which once owned what was then WTXX and has a localized parallel to the Freeform/700 Club situation for their daily mass on WCCT - airing the same mass at the same time on WCTX.

That sounds good and I forgot Inside Edition is on WPCH...an independent station...in Atlanta at 10pm...when it really should be on WGCL at 7:30. They could have a 7:00 news preceding it. But I guess it doesn’t hurt for WGCL to have the Big Bang Theory at 7 and 7:30.

6 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

I would say in 10am newscast shifts to Noon (cut to 30 minutes due to DBL) in order to make room for either Oz or Nick Cannon and I say Nick Cannon actually replaces Mel Robbins and that and Wendy serving as lead in to the new Noon newscast.

Oz goes to 4pm which enables WTIC to shift their news block back an hour each (so instead of 4-6pm it'd be 5-7pm which would give ET/IE a much stronger lead in in between news and Fox programming)

Everything from 1-4pm remain unchanged

19 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I think Kristine Leahy would be a great hire I liked Fair Game I wish that FS1 didn't cancel the show she is great at interviews. 

And since Fair Game was canceled, Leahy stayed busy somewhat on YouTube; maybe Silverstein has been watching and taking notice, hoping the People show would mold her into the next Menounos (who worked all four entertainment news shows  -- ET, Access, Extra, and E! News -- over 15 years until the brain tumor).

Oh. and I remember Pat O'Brien moonlighting at ET while at CBS Sports.

11 hours ago, ColinBusiness said:

In Palm Springs, The Drew Barrymore show is gonna replace Mel Robbins starting this fall at 3pm on KESQ's sister station CBS Local 2. 

Is there anything that we can go off of? Like a link to a website or a screenshot. Or is this a prediction? Not saying you're lying or anything but just curious. 

On 5/27/2020 at 5:35 PM, oknewsguy said:

I would say in 10am newscast shifts to Noon (cut to 30 minutes due to DBL) in order to make room for either Oz or Nick Cannon and I say Nick Cannon actually replaces Mel Robbins and that and Wendy serving as lead in to the new Noon newscast.

Oz goes to 4pm which enables WTIC to shift their news block back an hour each (so instead of 4-6pm it'd be 5-7pm which would give ET/IE a much stronger lead in in between news and Fox programming)

Everything from 1-4pm remain unchanged

WTIC moved DBL from late night to the 2:00/2:30 PM which had been DailyMail TV (which moved to WCCT) a little while back. It would be a bit redundant to air it thrice in a period of not even three hours.

Keep the 10:00 AM news - they're running unopposed and the competition isn't much - and stay away from a noon where WFSB and WTNH both do well. Otherwise...

11:00 AM: Wendy Williams (as is now)
12:00 PM: Mel Robbins -> Judge Mathis

1:00 PM: Judge Mathis -> People's Court

2:00 PM: DBL x2 (as is now)

3:00 PM: People's Court -> Nick Cannon (that is if they did get the rights)

4:00 PM: News -> Dr. Oz (from WFSB)

5:00 PM: News (as is now)

6:00 PM: 2.5 Men x2 -> News

7:00 PM: Big Bang Theory x2 -> Inside Edition/Entertainment Tonight (from WFSB)

WCCT has more than enough room to take on 2.5 Men and BBT. If for some reason Nick Cannon ended up elsewhere, I know a good 3:00 show: 25 Words or Less. Nobody in Hartford picked it up and that time slot is a bit of a bloodbath as it is, even moreso if Better Connecticut was to return there as it more often than not won when it was on at 3:00. 

• 2 weeks later...

Semi related 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cops-live-pd-pulled-tv-203603622.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb

Have any local affiliates pulled one of these shows? Personally, while I’m all for the Black Lives Matter movement, I think A&E and Paramount are overreacting.

As far as I know WCCB still airs Cops Saturday and Sunday late nights from 1-3:30am) and WAXN still airs Live PD weekday late nights at 1 and 1:30am. I didn’t know til just recently that Cops was even currently cleared in Charlotte. 

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

Have any local affiliates pulled one of these shows? Personally, while I’m all for the Black Lives Matter movement, I think A&E and Paramount are overreacting.

Syndication contracts would preclude a station from doing so at this point, and with a thin bench as it is, you can't plug in an infomercial as a replacement easily. At least here, this is a case of 'only a few care', and it's usually in a late or early afternoon slot where the station is just looking to break even against other competition. Viacom/Paramount has been looking for a death knell for COPS anyways and barely promotes the show outside of Monday nights in the first place (and there's always another bottom-feeder like Reelz that'll restore it if Viacom nulls the contract).

As I said a while back 2 Broke Girls is moving to WXSP next week will air at 5:30PM & Weekend Sun for a full hour 4PM to 5PM. CW7 airing a second run of Judge Jerry at 4PM & Divorce Court at 4:30PM, America Says at 5PM & 25 Word Or Less at 5:30PM which use to be 4PM for America Says & 4:30PM for 25 Words Or Less. Impractical Jokers will air Sat & Sun 5PM to 6PM other than a movie overrun from time to time on Sat afternoons then the second run will be 1:30AM.

Live PD is officially cancelled on A&E.

Also, it appears the CW Plus has moved Cops and Live PD to late nights. According to the CW Plus's website, Cops should air at 6am and Live PD at 5pm eastern. But, I checked the TitanTV listings for various affiliates and Judge Jerry is now at 6a and Blackish is at 5p (an appropriate choice imo). Live PD and Cops now air at midnight and 1am respectively. Guess they're getting the can warmed up for them when the contract ends.

According to Deadline, some stations are already dropping Cops from their syndicated lineups. Disney is working with them on replacement shows; the syndie Who Wants to Be a Millionaire is a possibility.

And WGN America isn't going to renew its contract for Cops when it expires at the end of the month, though it's possible they had already made that decision before this.

9 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

According to Deadline, some stations are already dropping Cops from their syndicated lineups. Disney is working with them on replacement shows; the syndie Who Wants to Be a Millionaire is a possibility.

And WGN America isn't going to renew its contract for Cops when it expires at the end of the month, though it's possible they had already made that decision before this.

I’m not surprised. 

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2020/06/11/catch-up-post-5-wral-koki/

WRAL has made its 7:00 coronavirus newscast permanent...I didn’t realize they had started one. Interesting changes. Inside Edition is now at 7:30. Entertainment Tonight has been moved to sister station WRAZ at 6 and 11pm. Family Feud no longer airs at 11 and 11:30am on WRAZ but it does air at 6:30pm. Good move to no longer have it air against The Price Is Right. But they ought to replace the noon infomercial with the fourth airing as that has gone away. Anyways Access Daily replaced Family Feud at 11 and 11:30 am, moving from 5 pm, on WRAZ and the Kelly Clarkson repeat moved from 6pm to 5pm. I am surprised that ET, and not Inside Edition, was the show bumped to Fox 50. Cant help but wonder if ET might end up on WNCN. They could start a 7:00 news and put it at 7:30, and move Judge Judy to 3 and move Ellen to 9am to replace Mel Robbins. They probably have Drew Barrymore coming to replace Mel Robbins though.

6 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2020/06/11/catch-up-post-5-wral-koki/

WRAL has made its 7:00 coronavirus newscast permanent...I didn’t realize they had started one. Interesting changes. Inside Edition is now at 7:30. Entertainment Tonight has been moved to sister station WRAZ at 6 and 11pm. Family Feud no longer airs at 11 and 11:30am on WRAZ but it does air at 6:30pm. Good move to no longer have it air against The Price Is Right. But they ought to replace the noon infomercial with the fourth airing as that has gone away. Anyways Access Daily replaced Family Feud at 11 and 11:30 am, moving from 5 pm, on WRAZ and the Kelly Clarkson repeat moved from 6pm to 5pm. I am surprised that ET, and not Inside Edition, was the show bumped to Fox 50. Cant help but wonder if ET might end up on WNCN. They could start a 7:00 news and put it at 7:30, and move Judge Judy to 3 and move Ellen to 9am to replace Mel Robbins. They probably have Drew Barrymore coming to replace Mel Robbins though.

Although I can also see a scenario where Inside Edition also ends up moving to WRAZ and allow WRAL to expand the 7pm newscast to an hour.

KOKI moving their 12pm newscast to 11am though is a bit puzzling I wonder how they were doing against KOTV at Noon? Were they not doing well against 6 or what?

2 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Although I can also see a scenario where ET also ends up moving to WRAZ and allow WRAL to expand the 7pm newscast to an hour.

KOKI moving their 12pm newscast to 11am though is a bit puzzling I wonder how they were doing against KOTV at Noon? Were they not doing well against 6 or what?

ET has already been moved to WRAZ. If you read the article correctly, it was Inside Edition that was moved a half hour later to 7:30 p.m. on WRAL.

Just now, TheRolyPoly said:

ET has already been moved to WRAZ. If you read the article correctly, it was Inside Edition that was moved a half hour later to 7:30 p.m. on WRAL.

Oops. I meant to say Inside Edition and not Entertainment Tonight. My bad.

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Although I can also see a scenario where Inside Edition also ends up moving to WRAZ and allow WRAL to expand the 7pm newscast to an hour.

That scenario is more likely. Don’t know if WNCN would go head to head with WRAL at 7 with news. And don’t know how long ET’s contract with WRAL/WRAZ is. It will be interesting to see what WNCN does at 7 when Judge Judy ends production.

Even though it’s a different owner I could see WSOC following suit and putting its 7:00 news on its own channel and moving Inside Edition and ET to WAXN. I am surprised they did not do that at least temporarily for the pandemic. It was launched in January. 

Welp...it seems that tonight is the final night that Live PD will air in Charlotte. Starting Monday night the double run at 1am on WAXN will be replaced by a double run of Bob’s Burgers. An additional run of Family Guy will air at 12:30am. WAXN has just aired one episode of Family Guy at midnight and one episode of Bob’s Burgers at 12:30 since their 7:00 news premiered in January.

So far Cops remains on WCCB on Saturday and Sunday nights from 1-3:30am.

I don’t see a return of Millionaire (replacing Cops) landing on WCCB unless they managed to pry Family Feud away from WAXN and that is doubtful. It doesn’t mesh with WCCB’s schedule. A revived Millionaire would likely go to WAXN,

2 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Welp...it seems that tonight is the final night that Live PD will air in Charlotte. Starting Monday night the double run at 1am on WAXN will be replaced by a double run of Bob’s Burgers. An additional run of Family Guy will air at 12:30am. WAXN has just aired one episode of Family Guy at midnight and one episode of Bob’s Burgers at 12:30 since their 7:00 news premiered in January.

So far Cops remains on WCCB on Saturday and Sunday nights from 1-3:30am.

I don’t see a return of Millionaire (replacing Cops) landing on WCCB unless they managed to pry Family Feud away from WAXN and that is doubtful. It doesn’t mesh with WCCB’s schedule. A revived Millionaire would likely go to WAXN,

And it appears according to TitanTV thru some CWPlus affiliates' schedules (ie: wktv, wsee, wnct-DT2s), starting monday, BOTH Live PD + Cops will be replaced by a hour of 'millionaire' reruns + SSN sports (syndie sports network) showcase filler usually aired on weekends.   

More on the latter thru PPI: https://progpart.wpengine.com/ssn-2/

Archived