2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

WATE announced on the 11pm news last night that Living East Tennessee is temporarily moving to a half-hour due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The 3pm half-hour will be occupied by an episode of Judge Judy while the 3:30pm half-hour will feature Living East Tennessee.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

WATE announced on the 11pm news last night that Living East Tennessee is temporarily moving to a half-hour due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The 3pm half-hour will be occupied by an episode of Judge Judy while the 3:30pm half-hour will feature Living East Tennessee.

WFIE, which last year adopted an 11-noon newscast in the fall and moved their "Midday with Mike" program to 12-1, has axed the second half hour of Midday, maybe just for now. They're airing 25 Words or Less from 12:30-1. They also expanded the 10pm news to one hour and moved The Tonight Show to 11pm. 

In a way, it's that they just moved 25 Words or Less to daytime from overnight and moved a half hour of local programming from daytime to late night.

WHBF in the Quad-Cities has moved Dr. Oz from 12:35 a.m. to 2 p.m., replacing its pay-to-play, Living Local. Oz is already on at 10:30p on its sister station, KGCW. The Doctors, already on KGCW, replaces the overnight Oz.

32 minutes ago, KS-IL-IA said:

WHBF in the Quad-Cities has moved Dr. Oz from 12:35 a.m. to 2 p.m., replacing its pay-to-play, Living Local. Oz is already on at 10:30p on its sister station, KGCW. The Doctors, already on KGCW, replaces the overnight Oz.

‘Pay-to-Play’ ... excellent description. 

— Matt 

On 4/7/2020 at 9:41 AM, Nelson R. said:

WBTV has mothballed Funny You Should Ask to make room for Full Court Press Now at 1:37 am. They opted not to delay The Late Show. 

Didn’t realize it is actually streamed live online at 11:30pm ET. So I guess they didn’t want to cut their 11pm newscast to 30 minutes (understandably so) https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wbtv.com/2020/04/06/watch-live-full-court-press-now-weeknights/%3FoutputType%3Damp

4 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Aww, too bad. It was pretty entertaining from all I saw, and the hosts were real good in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

TVOne aired hour-long versions of the show.

If not for that network, I would've never heard of it or forgotten about it when I did.

14 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

We never knew ya in Charlotte, thanks to Charlotte Today and Judge Judy. Something tells me we didn’t miss much.

I don't think it was even on in Miami so we hardly knew ye.

I'm just only surprised it lasted longer than it should.

I'm surprised as well that Sister Circle lasted as long as it did also kinda surprised that WZZM aired it as West Michigan isn't really an urban market. The first season was only a half hour the second season it was aired for 1 hour for the rest of it's run 10AM is WZZM's death slot nothing works at that time. I'm hoping that TEGNA cancels DBL soon. 

12 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I'm surprised as well that Sister Circle lasted as long as it did also kinda surprised that WZZM aired it as West Michigan isn't really an urban market. The first season was only a half hour the second season it was aired for 1 hour for the rest of it's run 10AM is WZZM's death slot nothing works at that time. I'm hoping that TEGNA cancels DBL soon. 

Three suggestions...

1. Move My West Michigan to 10:00 a.m. so that WZZM can add 9:00 a.m. morning news.
  2. Keep MWM at 9:00 a.m. and add 4:00 p.m. news to replace Judge Judy when it goes away.
  3. Add 7:30 p.m. news once DBL gets canceled OR add 7:00 p.m. news and shift ET to 7:30 p.m.

On 4/12/2020 at 11:05 PM, Nelson R. said:

We never knew ya in Charlotte, thanks to Charlotte Today and Judge Judy. Something tells me we didn’t miss much.

Okay, now it makes sense, I didn't realize it was an actual syndicated show, I thought it was an online show the whole time. Dang. 

Lately, WTEN and WXXA have been airing paid programs where there should be syndicated shows and the syndicated show title are still on the guide.

Last week they put a paid religious show in place of “The Doctors” and today, posts on their Facebook page said WXXA put paid programing where People’s Court should have been. 

Not sure if it’s because of COVID and the shows are re runs or if this is a Nexstar-wide thing? Normally stations do this on holidays or weekends, but this does seem odd to me. 

1 hour ago, MikeBucc said:

Lately, WTEN and WXXA have been airing paid programs where there should be syndicated shows and the syndicated show title are still on the guide.

Last week they put a paid religious show in place of “The Doctors” and today, posts on their Facebook page said WXXA put paid programing where People’s Court should have been. 

Not sure if it’s because of COVID and the shows are re runs or if this is a Nexstar-wide thing? Normally stations do this on holidays or weekends, but this does seem odd to me. 

The Doctors hasn't been new for months and probably gets regular hashmarks nationwide; putting on an infomercial is literally more profitable than some show filmed in August about leg stents where their alarmist tone is completely inappropriate now.

But going back to 2009 when WGBA-TV in Green Bay became a weekday infomercial desert because all of their shows that fall bombed (thankfully this won't happen now since their current Scripps ownership now chooses shows with actual viewership), along with WLNE's overall woes that only cleared up after they got sold to Citadel.

Get ready to see this a lot more after the end of May on stations with lousy syndication schedules. Advertising, both local and national, is only going in one direction, and this is going to be much worse than 2009 was. Already some stations are taking televangelist buys they haven't in twenty years just because they offer some kind of revenue. And if this goes into the fall, there are going to be shows which were announced at NATPE which will not be going forward, and what syndicated product that is new now (outside talk shows)...won't be.

14 hours ago, MikeBucc said:

It seems to be spreading across the market. Today WNYT is airing an infomercial for an Emeril air fryer instead of 25 Words or Less. But this doesn't seem to be a last-minute change, because my TV's built-in guide is listing Emeril 360 in this slot.

I wonder if the stations are doing this to recoup some of the ad revenue they're losing from having to cut out of their syndicated shows to air Gov. Cuomo's daily press conferences.

19 hours ago, ScottJ said:

It seems to be spreading across the market. Today WNYT is airing an infomercial for an Emeril air fryer instead of 25 Words or Less. But this doesn't seem to be a last-minute change, because my TV's built-in guide is listing Emeril 360 in this slot.

I wonder if the stations are doing this to recoup some of the ad revenue they're losing from having to cut out of their syndicated shows to air Gov. Cuomo's daily press conferences.

Cuomo usually goes on around, what, 11:30 AM? I think it might more the spillage of those into the noon hour, especially when Cuomo was leading into the first week of federal updates and it meant 90 minutes blown out. This would explain WNYT and WTEN, but what teeth would WXXA have in all this unless they're simulcasting as well?

Also, looking at the schedules for Albany good lord do the Nexstar stations there need to upgrade their product. At this point an extra hour of news and an advetorial hour would be better than what WTEN has in mornings.

2 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

Cuomo usually goes on around, what, 11:30 AM? I think it might more the spillage of those into the noon hour, especially when Cuomo was leading into the first week of federal updates and it meant 90 minutes blown out. This would explain WNYT and WTEN, but what teeth would WXXA have in all this unless they're simulcasting as well?

Also, looking at the schedules for Albany good lord do the Nexstar stations there need to upgrade their product. At this point an extra hour of news and an advetorial hour would be better than what WTEN has in mornings.

Cuomo's start times have varied. Usually in the 11:00 hour, but he's started as late as after 12:30. When his conference goes past noon, WNYT has typically been shunting it off to sister station WNYA to get to the noon news on time unless he's talking about something important -- like yesterday when he was talking about the process of reopening the state. WNYT stayed until about 12:10-12:15 before sending Cuomo to WNYA and going to the news (I don't get WNYA OTA so I don't know if they've been showing the full press conferences or just when 13 pulls out).

22 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

Cuomo's start times have varied. Usually in the 11:00 hour, but he's started as late as after 12:30. When his conference goes past noon, WNYT has typically been shunting it off to sister station WNYA to get to the noon news on time unless he's talking about something important -- like yesterday when he was talking about the process of reopening the state. WNYT stayed until about 12:10-12:15 before sending Cuomo to WNYA and going to the news (I don't get WNYA OTA so I don't know if they've been showing the full press conferences or just when 13 pulls out).

I know WNYA has an expendable lineup, but this is an intereting usage of them. To be honest, they should also be using WNYA to clear the Massachusetts briefings that have shifted from 2:00 to 12:30 this week. At least that would be semi-relevant. 🙄

22 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

I know WNYA has an expendable lineup, but this is an intereting usage of them. To be honest, they should also be using WNYA to clear the Massachusetts briefings that have shifted from 2:00 to 12:30 this week. At least that would be semi-relevant. 🙄

7 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

Normally when a special report (weather mostly before this) is on WTEN it’s also on WXXA. 

Yes, WTEN and WXXA have poor daytime lineups. I would infer they would have to add news at 9am when Mel Robbins leaves.

Archived